Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: various
FWI, a thread has been started on the Korea forum for COVID-19 information related to the situation in South Korea, in case anyone would like to post there vs this China forum, where prospective travelers to Korea might not think to look.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jiejie
FWI, a thread has been started on the Korea forum for COVID-19 information related to the situation in South Korea, in case anyone would like to post there vs this China forum, where prospective travelers to Korea might not think to look.
Can you add it to the Wikipost?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Can you add it to the Wikipost?
Done.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:21 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...y-moh-12462192

Singaporeans advised to defer non-essential travel to South Korean cities affected by COVID-19: MOHSINGAPORE: Singaporeans are advised to avoid non-essential travel to the South Korean cities of Daegu and Cheongdo as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases from the area continues to rise, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a public health travel advisory on Sunday (Feb 23).

Members of the public are also reminded to continue to exercise caution when travelling to the rest of South Korea.
[snip]
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Nothing about Italy, Iran and Japan?

If things continue blow up the way it happened last several days, all these warnings would make little sense...
#COVID19 1/n The number of reports from multiple different countries in past 36 hrs showing what is most likely community H2H spread of #SARSCoV2 confirm fears that the virus is on its way to causing a pandemic | 1/n
Prof. Dr. Benhur Lee, MD
Professor of Microbiology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS)
Feb. 21, 2020
Global Adventurer likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 23, 2020 at 4:34 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
NHK (Japan’s national broadcasting organization) is reporting on early discussions between the Japanese and US governments regarding Diamond Princess and her passengers.

The Japanese side initially proposed that American passengers (the second largest group by nationality after the Japanese) be disembarked and returned to the US early, but the US government responded that after discussion with CDC “it is anticipated that the risk of infection will increase if passengers are disembarked and moved to Yokota Air Base.”

If true this adds an interesting twist to the whole Diamond Princess saga. I have not been able to find the news reported by any other news source so far.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...297661000.html
(in Japanese)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by doctoravios
The decision as to whether to block travel to and from countries is largely political rather than grounded in evidence-based public health. This is why it is possible to maintain strict closures around China but the threshold will be much higher to bar travel to/from Korea and Japan. For example, I imagine it would take a lot for the US to close the border to flights from Japan. The powers that be seem to have this mistaken belief that microbes somehow respect political alliances/conflict. The reality is there are no border checks for bacteria/viruses and no amount of exerting human control over freedom of movement will prevent the spread of Covid-19.

But none of this matters. Containment is not possible and, in my opinion, has never been possible following escalation of the situation escalated in Hubei. I think the handling of the Diamond Princess, while regrettable, is not something which would have changed the eventual outcome to a pandemic followed by (in my opinion) endemic establishment of the virus.

The best we can do now is to slow down transmission so that we do not overwhelm healthcare services with seriously unwell people. If we can maintain the flow of infected individuals with serious symptoms into and out of high dependency medical care then hopefully in a year or so things will settle down and Covid-19 will just become another circulating pathogen which we will manage in the same way as all the other prevailing infections we have to deal with as a society.
Fantastically sensible post...agree with all of the above.

tb
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:41 am

A few musings:

The number of new cases in non-Hubei mainland China is now negligible (18), but Hubei is still continuing to report several hundred cases: represents less than 1% growth/ day but not close to zero.

No-one in the Chinese gov seems to have read the memo that this COVID-19 is now an international pandemic in all but name, so efforts at containment and eradication are futile. Why this may be important is that the policy of trying to identify every case in a place with a high prevalence (i.e. Hubei) may actually be facilitating transmission rather than the other way around. On the flip side, in places with low prevalence, mass self-isolation, and identifying cases appears to be an effective strategy. This might provide a model for every other country on the planet in the coming weeks and months: in the early stages of local transmission, a few hundred cases being likely, trying to identify cases aggressively may be effective in limiting onward transmission: SG, and to an extent the UK are great examples of this in action. But once cases start growing exponentially in a sustained fashion, focusing only on severely ill people should become the priority: all other symptomatic cases who are not severely ill should be mandated (if at all possible, otherwise strongly encouraged) to self-isolate to limit onward transmission. This won't halt spread, since some people are so mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic, but it will slow things down.

2. Chinese compliance has been extraordinary. Not to say some (many) people aren't frustrated, or even angry. But, by and large, people have obeyed. But that's because China essentially operates under social contract. What no-one in China has realised, is that all of this extraordinary effort has basically delayed the spread to all major non-Hubei hubs. Complete containment in China has absolutely no effect (weather and other unknown factors aside) if there is lack of containment globally. It's one thing to suffer for a month, or even two, as recompense for averting catastrophe, but at some point, life has to go on in some semblance. If that life involves China opening its doors to the rest of the world, we'll just have the same situation that was trying to be avoided. However, I do think lessons have been learnt that will mitigate the rate of spread once COVID-19 becomes re-established in CHina, which I think is sadly inevitable.

tb
cockpitvisit, wrp96, mkm4 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
COVID-19 is now an international pandemic in all but name
Mainstream and reliable/trusted/objective media finally started calling things its real names:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51603251

World edges closer to coronavirus pandemic

Analysis by Fergus Walsh, BBC Medical Correspondent

The combined situation in South Korea, Iran and Italy points to the early stages of pandemic. This means a global outbreak, with the coronavirus spreading in the community in multiple parts of the world.

P.S. Korea has 602 cases...
  • Last few days progression of total cases in South Korea:
    • Feb. 23: 602 cases (day still in progress)
    • Feb. 22: 436 cases
    • Feb. 21: 209 cases
    • Feb. 20: 111 cases
    • Feb. 19: 58 cases
    • Feb. 18: 31 cases
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:13 am

A more calming article: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/lif...at-is-covid-19

A couple of paragraphs:

"Do we really need to use hand sanitisers for hand hygiene? The reality is that soap and water will do. We also know that the coronavirus is quickly inactivated by plain tap water. However, we must get rid of the mucus envelope that protects the virus. Hence the soap is useful and for surfaces we need to ensure that the droplets with attendant load of mucus is cleaned off."

"Why do some patients have a mild disease while others are warded in intensive care? This is because when there is a huge viral load, the body responds massively. In healthcare workers, our immune systems are constantly challenged as we meet lots of patients daily and are exposed to the viruses or bacteria that they carry. Our immune system is primed to deliver an overwhelming response especially in the face of a huge viral load. It is precisely this overwhelming response that may make us very ill and be warded into intensive care."
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
To save money, one can buy "Flushable Wipes", and pour some isopropyl alcohol into the container/package.
Good idea. But don’t actually flush them. We had a major backup once due to those flushable wipes and plumber said it is the #1 thing he sees for clogs.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
We also know that the coronavirus is quickly inactivated by plain tap water.
How are we supposed to know that if we don't even have a reliable test for the virus (since some people who tested negative later tested positive)?

I understand the survival of coronaviruses in general has been studied thoroughly in the past decade, but are we absolutely sure these results apply to COVID-2019 as well? It seems quite different from past coronaviruses, starting with the incubation period and lack of immunity in patients who recovered.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:04 am

Any more data/specifics about below news?

Latest Updates

February 23 (GMT):

57 new cases (55 crew members and 2 passengers, of which 52 asymptomatic) and 1 new death (a man in his 80s) from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.

Data from
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#news

P.S. Coronavirus outbreak: Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran

Last edited by invisible; Feb 23, 2020 at 8:33 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
A more calming article: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/lif...at-is-covid-19

A couple of paragraphs:

"Do we really need to use hand sanitisers for hand hygiene? The reality is that soap and water will do. We also know that the coronavirus is quickly inactivated by plain tap water. However, we must get rid of the mucus envelope that protects the virus. Hence the soap is useful and for surfaces we need to ensure that the droplets with attendant load of mucus is cleaned off."

"Why do some patients have a mild disease while others are warded in intensive care? This is because when there is a huge viral load, the body responds massively. In healthcare workers, our immune systems are constantly challenged as we meet lots of patients daily and are exposed to the viruses or bacteria that they carry. Our immune system is primed to deliver an overwhelming response especially in the face of a huge viral load. It is precisely this overwhelming response that may make us very ill and be warded into intensive care."
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
How are we supposed to know that if we don't even have a reliable test for the virus (since some people who tested negative later tested positive)?

I understand the survival of coronaviruses in general has been studied thoroughly in the past decade, but are we absolutely sure these results apply to COVID-2019 as well? It seems quite different from past coronaviruses, starting with the incubation period and lack of immunity in patients who recovered.
Washing with soap and water is completely fine: I'm not sure about just water 'inactivating' the virus: the act of washing with water will dislodge a lot of virus, but all, not sure. But the point of hand sanitizer is that it's portable. I never normally use hand sanitizer, but I have been doing so lately -- but only when I'm out and about. When I get off the bus, I can't just wash my hands with soap and water before I inadvertently touch my face. Hand sanitizer will do the trick.

I'm not seeing data that suggests SARS-Cov2 is completely different to other coronaviruses. It's pathogenicity appears to be between the 'common cold' ones and SARS, it's contagiousness appears fairly similar. It's molecular architecture and structure again are fairly similar, and the mode of severe disease and death are very similar to SARS/MERS, but appears to effect a smaller proportion of infected cases. I haven't seen any data that people aren't immune after recovery.

In terms of heterogeneous responses: this is true for ALL infectious diseases, and it's something we don't fully understand in any. It could be the number of receptors for viral entry (ACE-2), it could be primed or misprimed immunity. It could be pathogen load. For sure, healthcare workers do seem to have worse outcomes than non-healthcare workers with similar age profiles. It could be that repeated exposure before onset of protective adaptive immunity is to blame, it could be just pathogen load or the combination of the two. I don't buy the 'doctors immune systems are almost ready to go haywire' theory...in fact, when I compare myself with my family, I tend to get less severe bouts of whatever tends to be going round. Part of that may be borderline obsessive hand washing as part of my routine, but also part of it may be that my immune system has 'sampled' far more pathogens than my family members. Of course, with SARS-CoV2, that is probably not much help, since we've never seen anything quite like it.

I am intrigued by why children have consistently had mild disease. There are a bunch of theories floating around. It could just be that children are more likely to have been infected by other coronaviruses more recently, and there may be an element of cross-protective immunity. Very young (<5 years old) children also have immature immune systems, and that may prevent the full-blown immunopathology, but teenagers shouldn't be that different to adults.

tb
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by trueblu
Washing with soap and water is completely fine: I'm not sure about just water 'inactivating' the virus: the act of washing with water will dislodge a lot of virus, but all, not sure. But the point of hand sanitizer is that it's portable. I never normally use hand sanitizer, but I have been doing so lately -- but only when I'm out and about. When I get off the bus, I can't just wash my hands with soap and water before I inadvertently touch my face. Hand sanitizer will do the trick.

I'm not seeing data that suggests SARS-Cov2 is completely different to other coronaviruses. It's pathogenicity appears to be between the 'common cold' ones and SARS, it's contagiousness appears fairly similar. It's molecular architecture and structure again are fairly similar, and the mode of severe disease and death are very similar to SARS/MERS, but appears to effect a smaller proportion of infected cases. I haven't seen any data that people aren't immune after recovery.

In terms of heterogeneous responses: this is true for ALL infectious diseases, and it's something we don't fully understand in any. It could be the number of receptors for viral entry (ACE-2), it could be primed or misprimed immunity. It could be pathogen load. For sure, healthcare workers do seem to have worse outcomes than non-healthcare workers with similar age profiles. It could be that repeated exposure before onset of protective adaptive immunity is to blame, it could be just pathogen load or the combination of the two. I don't buy the 'doctors immune systems are almost ready to go haywire' theory...in fact, when I compare myself with my family, I tend to get less severe bouts of whatever tends to be going round. Part of that may be borderline obsessive hand washing as part of my routine, but also part of it may be that my immune system has 'sampled' far more pathogens than my family members. Of course, with SARS-CoV2, that is probably not much help, since we've never seen anything quite like it.

I am intrigued by why children have consistently had mild disease. There are a bunch of theories floating around. It could just be that children are more likely to have been infected by other coronaviruses more recently, and there may be an element of cross-protective immunity. Very young (<5 years old) children also have immature immune systems, and that may prevent the full-blown immunopathology, but teenagers shouldn't be that different to adults.

tb

I wonder if there is some cross reactivity to related viruses that is either protective or even leading to the out of control immune cascade in some people. In theory it could lead to either or response depending on host genetics or other factors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.