Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
My prediction: Olympics will be canceled, and if not, MANY won't show up to compete nor spectate.
Well, as someone who is planning on attending (but has no hotel or tickets yet), I'm cynically hoping for some fear -- and then 100% safety! There is, of course, no way to predict that outcome at this point. The Japanese response to the Diamond Princess has obviously reduced my confidence.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by bambinomartino

My brother-in-law who lives and works in the Tokyo area just wrote me that he has been told to start going into work at 10:30 so to avoid rush hour on the train. Not sure how much that will help.
I think all businesses around the world will be prudent to start looking into remote, "work from home" technologies, including educational institutions and universities, as we may soon start facing city lockdowns and other commute disruptions.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 22, 2020 at 9:00 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Once again looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

5 new deaths and 10 new cases in Iran. [Islamic Republic of Iran News Network (IRINN)]
2 new cases in the United Arab Emirates: a 70-year-old Iranian national and his wife.

Iran has according to the page above, 28 cases and 9 (!) death - 30% of rate. Number of cases should be in multiples of hundreds.

Couple of additional information, according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Iran Iran has visa free arrival for Chinese (well...) and Turkish citizens.
And according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...tor_statistics, 2 million Iranian visitors were in Turkey, and about 300k each in Georgia and Azerbaijan - two other counties in the region having visa free entries for Iranians. Armenia also has visa free entry for Iranians but there are no statistics on wiki page.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 22, 2020 at 9:13 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
[redact reference to deleted post]

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-rise-n1140371
"We are reviewing all of our pandemic preparedness materials and adapting them to COVID-19," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said Friday during a media briefing, using the name of the disease caused by the coronavirus. "The materials will serve as a blueprint for the community interventions that we will use here in the U.S."

That means reinforcing infection control procedures, making sure health care workers have enough supplies, and planning for a possible influx of patients.

There may be a time when more aggressive measures, such as temporarily closing schools or businesses in the U.S., are necessary, she added

I have never heard statements like this come out of the CDC before, aside from theoretical preparation scenarios that had nothing to do with anything that was actually happening. Have you?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Without becoming a tinfoil hat prepper, I have some Qs for trublu and others:

1. I live in NYC, is this possible aerosolized spread a concern in all apartment buildings, or is it something about the construction in HKG that caused the spread that way?
2. If forced to self-quarantine in an apartment building, what are the best ways to safeguard against infection from people in other units?
3. Any other tips, things one might not think to stock for a lengthy self-quarantine? I imagine we won't get to end of civilization no water/power breakdown levels, but it might be necessary to avoid all contact with the outside world for a period of a few weeks to stay safe.

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:13 am

They should be able to verify this with all those infected cases on Diamond Princess. All of them are being treated in Japan right? They would be able to easily see if any of those 600? 700? people never show any symptoms.

How does it even work? If you never show symptoms, does it mean your body is not trying to fight the virus? Do you then just be a carrier of the virus forever?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by nk15
I think all businesses around the world will be prudent to start looking into remote, "work from home" technologies, including educational institutions and universities, as we may soon start facing city lockdowns and other commute disruptions.
There was just an article in our weekly work newsletter about how our Chinese partner university put together an online semester in 2-3 weeks as a response to COVID-19.....
wrp96 and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Need
Do you then just be a carrier of the virus forever?
Correct. So-called UK 'super-spreader' had exactly this situation.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
There are differences between school closures and 'canceling of humanity by July'. I'm sure you agree.
Sure but I recognize hyperbole when I see it. Even the full scale closure of schools and businesses, theme parks, etc., would be unprecedented in my lifetime, and certainly unprecedented in the age of jet travel that began in the 1950s.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

1. I live in NYC, is this possible aerosolized spread a concern in all apartment buildings, or is it something about the construction in HKG that caused the spread that way?
Thanks
I thought the same thing, apartment buildings unfortunately will be more vulnerable than houses, due to resident and apartment proximity and congestion. I am not sure how it works but there may be shared heating/cooling systems, shared bathroom vents, gaps underneath apt. doors, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Number of cases should be in multiples of hundreds.
They simply haven't tried to [or were capable of] testing/verifying the COVID-19 cases.
Number of infected in the thousands, is my guess.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by narvik
My prediction: Olympics will be canceled, and if not, MANY won't show up to compete nor spectate.
Based on how things are going, cancellation is possible, or athletes compete without spectators (and I suspect many countries' teams may not be there). But July is still quite a way off, so we'll see.

Originally Posted by STS-134
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-rise-n1140371

I have never heard statements like this come out of the CDC before, aside from theoretical preparation scenarios that had nothing to do with anything that was actually happening. Have you?
Nor have I ever heard this either from the CDC. The tone is ominous and maybe it needs to be, to start prepping the media, institutions, and the general public for a situation we have not seen in modern times.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

2. If forced to self-quarantine in an apartment building, what are the best ways to safeguard against infection from people in other units?
3. Any other tips, things one might not think to stock for a lengthy self-quarantine? I imagine we won't get to end of civilization no water/power breakdown levels, but it might be necessary to avoid all contact with the outside world for a period of a few weeks to stay safe.
As an architect with hefty experience in buliding systems, answer to your #1 and #2 are "it's possible and it depends." It depends primarily on the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) system type or types being used, particularly whether they are completely self-contained in the unit or are centralized with forced air and return ducting. I would worry less about the plumbing-related exhaust and venting (which is where the HK Amoy Gardens breakdown supposedly originated), since most US buildings are pretty ship-shape (bad pun on the DP, sorry) on this dimension. Then there is the architectural design itself of the public areas--lobbies, elevators, mailbox rooms, laundry areas, etc.--where airborne and contaminated surfaces could be a factor. Most NYC apartment buildings, unless very new and luxurious, tend to have relatively small spaces that can concentrate whatever germs are floating about.

Originally Posted by Need
They should be able to verify this with all those infected cases on Diamond Princess. All of them are being treated in Japan right? They would be able to easily see if any of those 600? 700? people never show any symptoms.

How does it even work? If you never show symptoms, does it mean your body is not trying to fight the virus? Do you then just be a carrier of the virus forever?
I would guess that some people will be able to clear the virus on their own, though time to do that is unknown. Others will need antivirals or some other treatment to assist in clearing. To me, this is one of the most worrisome aspects of this virus--that asymptomatic people can unknowingly shed virus and infect others, for considerable periods of time. I don't know how you fight against a virus that can do this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
Sure but I recognize hyperbole when I see it. Even the full scale closure of schools and businesses, theme parks, etc., would be unprecedented in my lifetime, and certainly unprecedented in the age of jet travel that began in the 1950s.
We just simply never needed it in developed world in last several decades... fortunately. But last time China-style lockdown happened in Europe was 1972 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Y...llpox_outbreak
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by jiejie
Based on how things are going, cancellation is possible, or athletes compete without spectators (and I suspect many countries' teams may not be there). But July is still quite a way off, so we'll see.

Nor have I ever heard this either from the CDC. The tone is ominous and maybe it needs to be, to start prepping the media, institutions, and the general public for a situation we have not seen in modern times.

As an architect with hefty experience in buliding systems, answer to your #1 and #2 are "it's possible and it depends." It depends primarily on the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) system type or types being used, particularly whether they are completely self-contained in the unit or are centralized with forced air and return ducting. I would worry less about the plumbing-related exhaust and venting (which is where the HK Amoy Gardens breakdown supposedly originated), since most US buildings are pretty ship-shape (bad pun on the DP, sorry) on this dimension. Then there is the architectural design itself of the public areas--lobbies, elevators, mailbox rooms, laundry areas, etc.--where airborne and contaminated surfaces could be a factor. Most NYC apartment buildings, unless very new and luxurious, tend to have relatively small spaces that can concentrate whatever germs are floating about.

I would guess that some people will be able to clear the virus on their own, though time to do that is unknown. Others will need antivirals or some other treatment to assist in clearing. To me, this is one of the most worrisome aspects of this virus--that asymptomatic people can unknowingly shed virus and infect others, for considerable periods of time. I don't know how you fight against a virus that can do this.

I actually really stunned by the lack of media attention to this in the US. Sure, it is getting some coverage but not a lot. Even warnings like this from the CDC and ones from NIAID aren’t getting much or in some cases, any, national news coverage from what I’ve been noticing.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by nk15
I thought the same thing, apartment buildings unfortunately will be more vulnerable than houses, due to resident and apartment proximity and congestion. I am not sure how it works but there may be shared heating/cooling systems, shared bathroom vents, gaps underneath apt. doors, etc.
It seems prudent then to stockpile supplies at a country house with the intention of (if possible) heading there to self-quarantine then. My worry is the ability to get out of the city if things get bad. I have a car, but will roads be jammed with people trying to flee. My HVAC units are contained within my apartment, and I have a good amount of space and my own outdoor space to fend off cabin fever, but I worry about the gaps under the doors or as mentioned the vent shaft that runs through the building, might transport virus from unit to unit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.