Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:12 am

Are there any infos on the confirmed healing/survival rate? Are all people who got infected e. g. 2 weeks ago (and didn't die) still sick? Or are most of them healthy again?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
It gets me thinking... what if this or similar epidemic started not in China, but in Lagos, Jakarta, Mumbai, Dhaka or Cairo... Where the would would be after 30 days?
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Are there any infos on the confirmed healing/survival rate? Are all people who got infected e. g. 2 weeks ago (and didn't die) still sick? Or are most of them healthy again?
With a sample size in the teens across a variety of ages and pre-existing conditions, they probably are not confident about any mortality model yet. It is the initial transmission features and stats that are getting established.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm guessing the entertainment factor won't enter into the equation.
You would be surprised... one needs to keep people preoccupied with something.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:03 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by invisible
Today there it is reported that private transport is banned as well inside Wuhan.

On more generic term - how long can one keep 11m people under pretty much house arrest? How do you supply them with food/water/entertainment?
That's restriction of movement in a quarantined area. Shelter in place.Wuhan went one step further Saturday, announcing vehicle use including private cars would be banned in downtown areas starting after midnight, state media reported. Only authorized vehicles to carry supplies and for other needs would be permitted after that, the reports said.

Wuhan will assign 6,000 taxis to different neighborhoods, under the management of local resident committees, to help people get around if they need to, the state-owned English-language China Daily newspaper said

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 25, 2020 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Check my post above and a couple responses to it. For the province containing Wuhan, I saw numbers of 24 deaths and 31 recoveries reported, although I would expect that both numbers have gone up in the last day or so. Still, the numbers I used give a death rate of about 44% or alternatively a survival rate of 56% for the earliest cases. That's comparable to MERS.

Other reports seem to suggest that most of the deaths are in older/elderly people, who are obviously more likely to have other health problems as complicating factor(s), although I haven't seen any data regarding whether the disease itself is more likely to infect older/elderly people or not. Basically the question is whether an older individual is more likely to get the disease (for example, perhaps most of the workers in the Wuhan wet market are older/elderly) or whether given that an individual is infected, someone who is older/elderly is more likely to die (rather than recover) compared to a younger person who is infected.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:07 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check my post above and a couple responses to it. For the province containing Wuhan, I saw numbers of 24 deaths and 31 recoveries reported, although I would expect that both numbers have gone up in the last day or so. Still, the numbers I used give a death rate of about 44% or alternatively a survival rate of 56% for the earliest cases. That's comparable to MERS.

Other reports seem to suggest that most of the deaths are in older/elderly people, who are obviously more likely to have other health problems as complicating factor(s), although I haven't seen any data regarding whether the disease itself is more likely to infect older/elderly people or not. Basically the question is whether an older individual is more likely to get the disease (for example, perhaps most of the workers in the Wuhan wet market are older/elderly) or whether given that an individual is infected, someone who is older/elderly is more likely to die (rather than recover) compared to a younger person who is infected.
But those rates do then only count for hospitalised persons who are symptomatic.

There are probably thousands of people who have the virus but might not have any symptoms at all or just only get mildly sick, thus not going to hospital and not counted in the statistics. That would make the death rate much, much lower at just a few percentage points only, wouldn't it? I have never seen any official statistic putting the mortality rate that high and survival rate that low, unless I missed something.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
But those rates do then only count for hospitalised persons who are symptomatic.

There are probably thousands of people who have the virus but might not have any symptoms at all or just only get mildly sick, thus not going to hospital and not counted in the statistics. That would make the death rate much, much lower at just a few percentage points only, wouldn't it? I have never seen any official statistic putting the mortality rate that high and survival rate that low, unless I missed something.
These are the statistics quoted on the officially diagnosed patients. What you stated is a methodologically threat to all those official numbers, but its effects cannot be fully account for, so it remains as an unestimated confounding variable. The only thing that can be said is that it leads to all these numbers likely being overestimates, but nobody likely can say by how much (unless there is a model that can speculate/estimate this).
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by :D!
You are completely correct, but when it first started they didn't know whether it would just go away or whether it would become as bad as this. They were obviously hoping that it was just a seasonal thing and would peter out quickly. When someone noticed it was worse than usual they were still hoping it wouldn't spread too far.

We will never know how many new viruses have originated but were contained without spreading too far because they were not as virulent, or due to proper action.

Don't tell me that outside of China everyone who makes a mistake immediately owns up to it in full.
The problem I have with this is that these people don't seem to have the ability to judge when it's acceptable to tell lies and when it's not. If it's a project that's behind schedule, or a business deal, and they want to lie about the cause, whatever. I can accept cultural differences, up to a certain point. But if you are running a nuclear power plant and something goes awry and most of the safety systems don't stop it, and a release of radiation is finally prevented at the last step, that's not something you lie about, period. People's lives depend on transparency and making sure that any issues are quickly disclosed and fixed. What these people did has crossed a red line. Their stupidity has not only caused additional and unnecessary sickness and death, but has put the entire world at risk. People without enough common sense to judge when it's acceptable to tell white lies and when it's not should not be in leadership positions, period.

And my wife just told me that she's heard reports that people within Wuhan who were trying to tell people about a mysterious sickness that was causing deaths and warn the public were actually arrested, for "spreading false information and fear". So not only were people telling lies, but there were also people who attempted to cover up their lies of the first group by silencing people who were telling the truth. Anyone who participated in this process of trying to silence people who were doing good needs to also be tried and, if convicted, sent to prison for a long time.

Originally Posted by nk15
These are the statistics quoted on the officially diagnosed patients. What you stated is a methodologically threat to all those official numbers, but its effects cannot be fully account for, so it remains as an unestimated confounding variable. The only thing that can be said is that it leads to all these numbers likely being overestimates, but nobody likely can say by how much (unless there is a model that can speculate/estimate this).
There's an additional variable in there too. If someone receives proper treatment, the probability of death can drop dramatically. For example, Ebola virus disease. Once someone gets it, it's scary how lethal it is, with an over 50% case fatality rate. But look at EVD in the US: 2 deaths out of 11 cases. 2 cases where someone got Ebola in the US and 0 where those people have died of it. 4 cases originally diagnosed in the US and 7 evacuated from other countries. 9 recoveries.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure what the odds are of someone being able to receive proper treatment in Wuhan, unless possibly they have access to some special nonpublic medical facilities. Even in normal times, the public hospitals etc. in Wuhan aren't good. This is partly why there were reports of sick people trying to escape to Beijing and Shanghai.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
For a bit more positive news:

A French doctor and infectious disease expert (who is also treating two of the infected patients in that country) said that the Wuhan corona virus is "a lot less serious than SARS" based on his own on-the-ground observations as well as those from his colleagues in China. Mortality rate as estimated by experts is still around 5 percent.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...-sars-68529819
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Tour groups suspended on Monday https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/w...ronavirus.html .
Sale of flight and hotel packages also suspended.

Those already mid-trip can keep going.

Sale of stand-alone tix and hotels abroad not affected.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by STS-134
There's an additional variable in there too. If someone receives proper treatment, the probability of death can drop dramatically. For example, Ebola virus disease. Once someone gets it, it's scary how lethal it is, with an over 50% case fatality rate. But look at EVD in the US: 2 deaths out of 11 cases. 2 cases where someone got Ebola in the US and 0 where those people have died of it. 4 cases originally diagnosed in the US and 7 evacuated from other countries. 9 recoveries.
These are all likely predictors of survival, and these would vary by disease: treatment received or not, quality and type of treatment, time of treatment, patient age, overall health/comorbidity, and probably a bunch of other clinical and non clinical variables, most of which should be known for most diseases, and likely many still unknown.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:51 pm

Take a look at the table at right hand side:

Starting from 18th of Jan, number of confirmed cases compared to the previous day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...virus_outbreak

2020.01.19 - 198
2020.01.20 - 291 +93
2020.01.21 - 440 +149
2020.01.22 - 571 +131
2020.01.23 - 830 +259
2020.01.24 - 943 +113
Things are not going in right direction...

2020.01.24 - 1287 +457
2020.01.25 - 1975 +668

Last edited by invisible; Jan 25, 2020 at 7:07 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:12 pm

Things are not going in right direction...

2020.01.24 - 1287 +457
2020.01.25 - 1975 +668
The issue is that it does not mean that the virus is spreading. It means that more people are being diagnosed. Hard to tell if it is spreading or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.