Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak

Open Clubs:

See Delta Sky Club News & Updates for the latest up to date changes. Clubs Permanently Closed:
  • LAX T3 (T3 has been demolished)
  • SCL (re-branding as a LATAM Lounge)
  • SEA: S
Future Clubs: List of Future Delta Sky Clubs & Updates

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Great range of food at DTW tonight. Individually packed sandwiches, salads, crudites, cookies, cheese and pepperoni. Frequently being restocked by the hardworking staff.
Seems pretty consistent with what is on offer across the rest of the SC network.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Seems pretty consistent with what is on offer across the rest of the SC network.
Well some folks were complaining about there being a lack of food and how Delta was cuttiing costs by not serving hot food. I guess I assumed no rational person would see a spread like this and conclude that!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well some folks were complaining about there being a lack of food and how Delta was cuttiing costs by not serving hot food. I guess I assumed no rational person would see a spread like this and conclude that!
I mean, anyone who has visited a SC before this year can clearly see it’s a massive reduction both in quantity and quality. Hard to argue any rational person would be unable to conclude that. As with everything, it’s a comparison not a standalone observation.
readywhenyouare and Ryno1234 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I didn't see any hot food mentioned in your post. Unless Delta has unplugged the refrigerators and now the sandwiches and salads are warm?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I didn't see any hot food mentioned in your post. Unless Delta has unplugged the refrigerators and now the sandwiches and salads are warm?
I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.
I was saying that I didn't understand how one could see this spread of cold food and conclude that the lack of hot food was the result of efforts to save money.

im sorry my posting of the current status of the DTW Skyclub seems to have provoked such anger.
​​​​​​

As to the suggestion that this is obviously a massive reduction in quantity and quality, I disagree, having frequently visited the DTW Skyclub prior to the pandemic, and finding individual sandwiches with turkey, bacon, and cheese higher quality than plain pasta and meatballs from Costco's freezer section. (Obviously I was comparing the previous DTW offerings....how else would I have known about the meatballs?)

Or perhaps the rubber "chicken" they had to top your salad? You think that's better than a caprese focaccia? Or are these cookies and brownies not as good as the....other cookies and brownies?

As for quantity, there were just as many different dishes on offer as I've ever seen at any Skyclub, and there was more than enough that you could take and eat to your hearts content. I'd been at Skyclubs before the pandemic where trays were quickly emptied with long lines. Doesn't seem like a drop in "quantity" to me.

It appears no matter what I say, though, people in this thread will pick a fight. But I also know how much food and food prep costs and the sandwiches and salads on offer tonight cost Delta more than a chafing dish of meatballs and penne.

Many of the posts in this thread would lead one to believe that the food was Fyre-festival esque cheese on bread. And indeed, the quality at DTW far exceeded the quality I had experienced on my only other trip during the pandemic, to the MSP Skyclub in July.

Last edited by Adam1222; Sep 28, 2020 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Great range of food at DTW tonight. Individually packed sandwiches, salads, crudites, cookies, cheese and pepperoni. Frequently being restocked by the hardworking staff.

Tastier than the hot meatballs and pasta they used to have. (And probably costs Delta more.)
Pretty similar selection at MSP tonight - sandwich option was Tuna and there was also a vegetable wrap and a salad station with a selection of dressing.

Personally, I would have preferred the old hot options, but I was still impressed with the selection compared to the “food” at the ORD United club last week. The agent at the front was super nice too and let me know about a couple restaurants that were open in the terminal, so I brought back Chick-fil-a and had that at the SkyClub.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to the suggestion that this is obviously a massive reduction in quantity and quality, I disagree, having frequently visited the DTW Skyclub prior to the pandemic, and finding individual sandwiches with turkey, bacon, and cheese higher quality than plain pasta and meatballs from Costco's freezer section. (Obviously I was comparing the previous DTW offerings....how else would I have known about the meatballs?)

Or perhaps the rubber "chicken" they had to top your salad? You think that's better than a caprese focaccia? Or are these cookies and brownies not as good as the....other cookies and brownies?

As for quantity, there were just as many different dishes on offer as I've ever seen at any Skyclub, and there was more than enough that you could take and eat to your hearts content. I'd been at Skyclubs before the pandemic where trays were quickly emptied with long lines. Doesn't seem like a drop in "quantity" to me.
I hate to rain on your parade, but the rubber 'chicken' that they had to top your salad before is the exact same product that's going in your pre-packaged "Bahn mi" slider today.

I think your point about there being just as many options is very misinformed. Pretty much every pre-packaged salad option on offer today was also on offer before and more could have been created with the former salad bars which were also stocked with more ingredients including multiple lettuce types, a large selection of vegetables and legumes, eggs, cheese, multiple dressings, croutons, etc. This is of course in addition to snack items like cheese, crackers, popcorn, nachos, etc., a few soup options, and other hot items like mac and cheese, fried rice, a protein or two, varying based on location of course.

So yes, there has been a very perceivable drop in quantity of items on offer.

It appears no matter what I say, though, people in this thread will pick a fight. But I also know how much food and food prep costs and the sandwiches and salads on offer tonight cost Delta more than a chafing dish of meatballs and penne.

Many of the posts in this thread would lead one to believe that the food was Fyre-festival esque cheese on bread. And indeed, the quality at DTW far exceeded the quality I had experienced on my only other trip during the pandemic, to the MSP Skyclub in July.
I think you're mistaking people disagreeing with your points to mean they want to fight with you. For example, making a claim such as DL is spending more on food offerings in the SC now than they had before. Do you have any actual information to back that up? Or are you simply selecting a single cheap food item from before and opting to compare that with the entire spread now to support your claim that the current food offerings cost more?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM,
I've seen here that "Jack Daniels" is no longer complimentary, however, I've also seen posts that says it is. I "tweeted" Delta with no response. Just curious does anyone know for certain?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium

Tastier than the hot meatballs and pasta they used to have. (And probably costs Delta more.)
More, and more plasticware which probably will not be recycled...but I digress.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
I've seen here that "Jack Daniels" is no longer complimentary, however, I've also seen posts that says it is. I "tweeted" Delta with no response. Just curious does anyone know for certain?

Thanks in advance.
The posts in this thread all say that Jack is no longer complimentary, and include a picture of the current comp menu, and a "Confirmed with the bartender in ATL" firsthand report, so...

​​​​​Many people consider Old Forester an upgrade anyway.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
There’s a bit of a difference with AA and UA as both have lounges above their standard clubs (Flagship lounge and FFD for AA and Polaris lounge for UA). That’s why Admirals Clubs and United Clubs had generally a worse offering that SkyClubs. The premium customers were in the FL/PL anyway. DL has had the weakest lounge product for J customers for a long time.
Generally speaking, service levels within DL lounges that are open have maintained its services and amenities for the past decade prior to pandemic, while AA and UA have removed amenities (showers) and reduced values (reduced locations and rebranding) to its own membership. Past pandemic, DL has continued to provide respectable level of service, and offered wrapped food and bar offering in states permitting limited bar service. AA's drop in service is much more drastic past pandemic emergency with limited food offering and beverages. UA has seemed to raise its service levels a bit, but still much better than AA but below current DL levels on food and beverages. AA Flagship lounges continues to be closed (JFK excepted but none of the Flagship service available), and UA Polaris also continues to be closed past pandemic. So much for improved service on AA and UA.

Jiburi
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Generally speaking, service levels within DL lounges that are open have maintained its services and amenities for the past decade prior to pandemic, while AA and UA have removed amenities (showers) and reduced values (reduced locations and rebranding) to its own membership. Past pandemic, DL has continued to provide respectable level of service, and offered wrapped food and bar offering in states permitting limited bar service. AA's drop in service is much more drastic past pandemic emergency with limited food offering and beverages. UA has seemed to raise its service levels a bit, but still much better than AA but below current DL levels on food and beverages. AA Flagship lounges continues to be closed (JFK excepted but none of the Flagship service available), and UA Polaris also continues to be closed past pandemic. So much for improved service on AA and UA.

Jiburi
I'm not sure I follow the removed amenities in the AC/UC that you're referring to, at least when there is also FL/PL option. With that said, there are no SC shower facilities currently open to my knowledge.

I agree about the food offerings in the AC though. As a transcon F customer used to having FFD, the current AC offerings are really quite bad, though I do appreciate their effort to have some kind of hot option. The cold SC offerings are better than those found at either the AC or UC, however there really isn't much in terms of hot offering at the moment outside of ramen cups.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM,
Originally Posted by Zorak
The posts in this thread all say that Jack is no longer complimentary, and include a picture of the current comp menu, and a "Confirmed with the bartender in ATL" firsthand report, so...

​​​​​Many people consider Old Forester an upgrade anyway.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I'm not sure I follow the removed amenities in the AC/UC that you're referring to, at least when there is also FL/PL option. With that said, there are no SC shower facilities currently open to my knowledge.

I agree about the food offerings in the AC though. As a transcon F customer used to having FFD, the current AC offerings are really quite bad, though I do appreciate their effort to have some kind of hot option. The cold SC offerings are better than those found at either the AC or UC, however there really isn't much in terms of hot offering at the moment outside of ramen cups.
My comment was prior to pandemic, United closed most of its showers within United Club.Then some to polaris rebranding.
Jiburi
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

Delta, Mexico City to Los Angeles in Comfort+

Breakfast offerings in Premier Salon lounge Mexico City

Lunch offerings at LAX Delta Sky Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.