Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Planning Second New SkyClub at SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

Delta Air Lines and the Port of Seattle are planning to build 24,500 square foot SkyClub near gate A11 and the new International Arrivals Facility. This would presumably be in addition to the 21,000 square foot club near A1 which opened in 2016 (the SkyClub in S is currently closed and may never reopen.) The A11 club would encompass two levels and an outdoor SkyDeck. Estimated cost is $71.4 million to be shared between SEA and DAL. Anticipated completion is Q2 2023.

Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Wow, ambitious. I think this project definitely seals the long term fate of the S Satellite club, if it moves forward.

A11 is a pretty inconvenient spot, so this would see a small fraction of the traffic the A1 club does. It makes me wonder if they're thinking of exploring a premium cabin specific club strategy in the future...
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Also, it looks like the S club will indeed close permanently:

Originally Posted by Port of Seattle
This project includes a building expansion towards the end of Concourse A, to predominately house a new passenger lounge for Delta Air Lines and provide additional expansion space for the Port of Seattle common-use Club at SEA lounge. This project is expected to meet existing (pre-COVID-19) passenger demand for Delta, as they intend to vacate their existing lounge at the South Satellite. To achieve this, Delta desires to design and construct an approximately 47,000 Square Foot (SF) building expansion at the east side of Concourse A, across from Gate A11 and directly south of the International Arrivals Facility (IAF), via a TRA with the Port. It is expected that 24,500 SF of the space will be leased directly by Delta Air Lines for their lounge.

Delta has requested to construct approximately 25,000 square feet to provide additional lounge premises to accommodate their passenger demand that is anticipated to shift from the South Satellite to Concourse A due to the opening of the IAF and the conversion of Concourse A gates from domestic only operations to gates that are capable of accommodating international operations. The Port currently does not have sufficient space to meet this demand.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Isn't DL taking most of the A gates (at the least the ones occupied by UA) in the latest shuffle? I saw a reference to it somewhere but don't remember where.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This explains the elaborate overhead bridge that has been constructed in the vicinity of A11 (which reminded me of the one at LGW).

I've had to traipse down to the very end of A two times last fall, once for a regional jet to MFR, the other for a regional jet to RDM.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
This explains the elaborate overhead bridge that has been constructed in the vicinity of A11 (which reminded me of the one at LGW).

I've had to traipse down to the very end of A two times last fall, once for a regional jet to MFR, the other for a regional jet to RDM.
The bridge is for the new International Arrivals Facility, which is being built in A adjacent to where this new lounge will go. My understanding is that the bridge will only be used for international arrivals at S; it won't be open to airside passengers who need to make connections between S and A, who will still be required to use the train.
BearX220, rogo and ND76 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does DL really need that much lounge space at SEA? In all my visits to the current A club it's never been that crowded. Not that I'm complaining. By the time this place opens my AS status will have lapsed (also 2 years to build this?). That's a hefty price tag though.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
SEATAC claims it will be the longest bridge over an active taxiway in the world, surpassing the current record holder which is LGW

Originally Posted by BenA
The bridge is for the new International Arrivals Facility, which is being built in A adjacent to where this new lounge will go. My understanding is that the bridge will only be used for international arrivals at S; it won't be open to airside passengers who need to make connections between S and A, who will still be required to use the train.
Right, the bridge will only be for arriving international passengers from S to reach the new immigration hall in A
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Does DL really need that much lounge space at SEA? In all my visits to the current A club it's never been that crowded. Not that I'm complaining. By the time this place opens my AS status will have lapsed (also 2 years to build this?). That's a hefty price tag though.
If DL succeeds in building a TPAC gateway at SEA, that means a lot of big jets and a lot of premium passengers. They've been severely limited by an international facility operating well beyond capacity. But that will soon be resolved
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
This will be an interesting addition and makes me wonder the future of DL's S gates. The A1 club is one of my favorites. I was through there last week. I'm not sure if it gets busy in the afternoons, but at 5a is was fairly empty and the second floor was closed off.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
This will be an interesting addition and makes me wonder the future of DL's S gates. The A1 club is one of my favorites. I was through there last week. I'm not sure if it gets busy in the afternoons, but at 5a is was fairly empty and the second floor was closed off.
I'm guessing DL would be quite happy for all the non-Skyteam international flights to use the old satellite while DL's international flights use the brand new international A gates located right next to the brand new customs hall and the brand new Skyclub. The new A gates are much more convenient too (although bridge would be kinda fun)
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

Am I the only who noticed that the colors outlining these drawings are Alaska Airlines' colors of Light Blue/Sea-Green/Navy Blue? Intentional move by the Port of Seattle to hint at who their favorite tenant at SEA still is?

(Good news on the new club though. While it never bothered me, I did fly out of the end A gates quite a few times and a new club down there will be more convenient for flights out of those gates since again, while it's not awful, it's still a bit of a hike to the gates down at that end).
rogo, DiverDave and ryw like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta Air Lines and the Port of Seattle are planning to build 24,500 square foot SkyClub near gate A11 and the new International Arrivals Facility. This would presumably be in addition to the 21,000 square foot club near A1 which opened in 2016 (the SkyClub in S is currently closed and may never reopen.) The A11 club would encompass two levels and an outdoor SkyDeck. Estimated cost is $71.4 million to be shared between SEA and DAL. Anticipated completion is Q2 2023.
I'm trying to remember does The Club occupy the former Crown Room Club location that was closed in the great CRC massacre of 2008? If that is the case, then the new SC is being built on top of the former CRC?

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...-already-shut/

I'm thinking it is

https://travellingtheworld.boardinga...rse-a-seattle/

Is there a gate shuffle in progress at SEA where Delta is giving up the South Satellite terminal?

David
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Although it wasn't as nice as the Skyclub in A, I will miss the skyclub in the satellite concourse. Made for a good lounge to hit up before boarding a flight in S, will have to leave the A club a good 15-20 minutes before boarding a flight in S which still has a lot of Delta flights.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
Although it wasn't as nice as the Skyclub in A, I will miss the skyclub in the satellite concourse. Made for a good lounge to hit up before boarding a flight in S, will have to leave the A club a good 15-20 minutes before boarding a flight in S which still has a lot of Delta flights.
The new International A gates aren't open yet. That's coming this year. It's reasonable to assume that DL will have far fewer (maybe zero) flights out of S. That would seem to limit the benefit of the S club
ExArkie and manacit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.