Source: new PDX SkyClub coming

Old Nov 18, 19, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
Source: new PDX SkyClub coming

From a very reliable DL/PDX source DAL has decided to build a new SkyClub on the D Concourse. The new plan is to build an entire new SkyClub on the mezzanine above D9/11 and D9/D10.

This is a change from the previously held stance that the current club would be gutted and the closed half (southern end) from the previous Crown Room days would be reopened and renovated as well.

DAL is long aware of complaints that the tiny PDX club is a mess during midday operations especially when NRT, AMS along with SEA, LAX, MSP, DTW, JFK, ATL and soon to be LAS flights are all leaving. Even with a recent remodel to add a few more seats for butts, it's a mess.

The current club was opened when DAL started its PDX Asian hub. The club ran the entire upper level length of D. It sat closed for years until NWA announced NRT flights and reopened the north-side of the club using all DL left over furniture around 2002. The size of the club has remained while DAL has added AMS, LHR.

In the future it's anticipated DAL may go forward with ICN and CDG flights. Perhaps a hidden reason why the plan is to buildout an entire new club.
N174UA and hi55us like this.

Last edited by n7371f; Nov 18, 19 at 11:01 pm
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:09 pm

ooooh I can't wait!

Thank you for giving me something to look forward to - the PDX SkyClub is so dark and sad - new sounds great!
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Hopefully the "enhancement" means keeping the coke machine.
pdxkat, RacingJunkie and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Hopefully the "enhancement" means keeping the coke machine.
Oh come on, with an 'enhancement' clearly we're getting a Coke Freestyle machine as a replacement (I can dream, right?)
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pdxkat View Post
Oh come on, with an 'enhancement' clearly we're getting a Coke Freestyle machine as a replacement (I can dream, right?)
It's the only reason I still visit AA Admirals clubs.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:59 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Cool! Especially since I don't think there's the 4 PP experiences now from my past visits!
cmx likes this.
Old Nov 19, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I regularly fly PDX-AMS and during the mid-day rush the club is totally packed and nearly impossible to find a seat. I've stopped going because it simply isn't worth it anymore.

Flew through PHX recently, and wow what a beautiful club! And despite the fact that DL has no longhaul flights from PHX. Something like the PHX club would be VERY welcome in PDX.
Old Nov 19, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Oh no, what airport will take the crown of being the worst Sky Club worldwide now?
pdxkat and NOLAnwGOLD like this.
Old Nov 19, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
Maybe they can get new liquor laws in Oregon that would allow Delta (and AS) to economically serve hard liquor.

As to what would be the worst club in the system, it would be BNA (unless they have renovated this one since I was last there 5 years ago), followed by ORD (this of course will be replaced in 2021). Actually, the worst Delta stations would then be IAD and BWI, which have significant Delta/SkyTeam operations but no SkyClubs; IAD is a sore spot, as they could easily use the VS Clubhouse as a SkyClub (VS has exactly one flight per day from IAD).
Old Nov 19, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I think IAD might have an arrangement with the AF lounge? SCL is pretty terrible too, but they are building a Skyteam lounge now.
Old Nov 19, 19, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
Maybe they can get new liquor laws in Oregon that would allow Delta (and AS) to economically serve hard liquor.

As to what would be the worst club in the system, it would be BNA (unless they have renovated this one since I was last there 5 years ago), followed by ORD (this of course will be replaced in 2021). Actually, the worst Delta stations would then be IAD and BWI, which have significant Delta/SkyTeam operations but no SkyClubs; IAD is a sore spot, as they could easily use the VS Clubhouse as a SkyClub (VS has exactly one flight per day from IAD).
IAD has AF/KL lounge. (Like most in US it sucks).

BWI just dont see the need. Most who would pay to use fly out of DCA or IAD if international.
Old Nov 19, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
Oh no, what airport will take the crown of being the worst Sky Club worldwide now?
What's wrong with the PDX lounge?! It may not be the nicest lounge (especially compared to the newer ones in Austin, Phoenix, and San Francisco), but I actually find it one of the best in practice. Conveniently located (no back-tracking to get to the Delta gates), it has a coke machine, it always seems to have decent hot food items available (admittedly other SkyClubs have gotten better at this, but 3-4 years ago this was not the case).

A lot of times I can't be arsed to visit a lot of lounges because they're out of the way or it's so big that it takes too long find a seat, get food, go to the bathroom, and wait 5 minutes to get a coke zero from the bar (because there is no coke machine). PDX is absolutely perfect for regular O&D: a quick 5-10 minute stop to grab a quick warm bite and drink before you hop on your flight.
SJC ORD LDR and ShivasIrons like this.
Old Nov 19, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
What's wrong with the PDX lounge?! It may not be the nicest lounge (especially compared to the newer ones in Austin, Phoenix, and San Francisco), but I actually find it one of the best in practice. Conveniently located (no back-tracking to get to the Delta gates), it has a coke machine, it always seems to have decent hot food items available (admittedly other SkyClubs have gotten better at this, but 3-4 years ago this was not the case).

A lot of times I can't be arsed to visit a lot of lounges because they're out of the way or it's so big that it takes too long find a seat, get food, go to the bathroom, and wait 5 minutes to get a coke zero from the bar (because there is no coke machine). PDX is absolutely perfect for regular O&D: a quick 5-10 minute stop to grab a quick warm bite and drink before you hop on your flight.
100% agree with this.
Itís not fancy, but easy and fast at moment.
Old Nov 19, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: AS Gold 75K DL GM 2MM Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post

Delta doesn't serve hard liquor by choice at PDX. They serve food and Alaska Airlines recently received their liquor license so it is available in their club.
Old Nov 19, 19, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
nashville
acrophobia likes this.

Search this Thread