SFO SkyClub or Centurion Lounge

Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
SFO SkyClub or Centurion Lounge

I will be flying Delta SFO-DTW on a redeye next week and was wondering if I should go to the SkyClub or to the Centurion Lounge (time permitting). Will I be allowed to exit and re-enter security since DL departs out of Terminal 2 and the Centurion Lounge is in Terminal 3? How long would it take to switch terminals, and how easy is it? How do the two lounges compare in terms of size, amenities, etc? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I believe T1 and T2 are now connected post security so you don't have to go through security twice. Delta is in T1. The centurion lounge is in T3 so you would need to go through security again in T3.

EDIT: I mean T1 and T2. T1 and T2 should be connected post security.

http://milesfromblighty.boardingarea...s-2-and-1-sfo/

Last edited by KissFlyGoodbye; Mar 18, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Delta is out of T1 at SFO not T2. If there's an easy connection to the other terminals I've never seen it (though haven't looked hard since I find the SFO SC to be one of the best in the system so not worth figuring out the logistics of trekking over to the Centurion lounge and back)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Go to the SC. Not worth the hassle of Re-clearing security and the SFO SC is one of the best in the system.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: NW GE
T1 and T2 are connected via a walkway post security. T3 and the two halves of the international terminal are separate. There is an "air train" which connects all terminals. You used to be able to walk between terminals landside as well, but I heard something about part of the walkway being disrupted due to construction. You could always try walking (faster) and take the airtrain if needed on your way over that way you'd know what to do on the way back.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I stayed with United a few more years when the SFO Amex Centurion Lounge opened. Marginally better food than Delta SkyClub. Always crowded, with black "reserved" signs on the remaining available tables to remind us that a mere Platinum card is too pedestrian to be treated as elite.

I recently switched to Delta. The SFO SkyClub food is quite good, and there's always much more room. The same Amex Platinum gives access, with no signs one is "second tier".

I see no upside to the struggle of trying to visit two terminals.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't know why people are talking about T2, the Centurion Lounge is in T3. It is not possible to visit the Centurion lounge from T1 without reclearing security. And with the walkway between T1 and the International Terminal shut for construction, the only practical way to get from T1 to T3 is by airtrain. You're looking at minimum 15 minutes each direction, not counting security.

I actually prefer the SkyClub. The food may be a little better in the Amex lounge, but it is small and very crowded. Love the spaciousness of the SkyClub.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
There are reviews online, but the Delta SkyClub is large, spacious, has good food, nice quiet areas, great big windows and views. Amex Cent lounge is fine - good food, but it's much smaller and far more crowded.

I would definitely go to the Delta SC and stay there. No point in switching terminals and doing security twice unless you have hours to kill and nothing better to do.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Delta did a really good job with the SFO club. Highly recommended.

Also, you can walk airside from Delta's pier in SFO over to American Airlines and what used to be Virgin America; you can't stay airside and go to the other two piers in Delta's terminal in SFO (whatever it is called).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Centurion Lounge has an excellent complimentary premium bar. Other than that, the Sky Club is almost as good (and much less congested). If you've got a lot of time to kill, perhaps the walk to T3 is worth it. Otherwise, the SC is one of the better domestic lounges in the USA.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Delta is out of T1 at SFO not T2. If there's an easy connection to the other terminals I've never seen it (though haven't looked hard since I find the SFO SC to be one of the best in the system so not worth figuring out the logistics of trekking over to the Centurion lounge and back)
Boarding areas C and D are connected behind security. The entrance in C is between the SkyClub and Gate 41. It's actually nice to be able to go to the old International Terminal and get some decent food when stuck in Y.

Otherwise, the rest of the South Terminal isn't connected behind security as far as I know as in you can't get to boarding area B from boarding area C. And you can't get to the north terminal (the United hub) from any other domestic terminal. Plus, the SkyClub is quite nice.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I just spent all day at the Centurion Lounge. It was overcrowded for most of the day. You may have to wait for a seat. I saw a couple of people give up and sit on the floor. If you have a seat, you are not guaranteed a table. I would not make the hike, although the chocolate chip cookies are almost worth it.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Also, if it matters, doing work is MUCH easier at the SC than the Centurion Lounge. Even if you snag a table at the CL, I find it not very comfortable or conducive to work on a laptop.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
I'm going to join the chorus in saying that even though the food is arguably better at the AmEx lounge, it's not worth it to trek over there and clear security twice for that. Also, as @Rowyourboat mentioned, the SkyClub has some pretty nice views, while the Centurion Lounge has none.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Skyclub is in the same terminal. Food has been upgraded. Lunch has clam chowder, veggie pasta, cold Sichuan noodles and chicken at the moment. Less crowded than Centurion.

Centurion has a better bar though. Food is better than Skyclub imo but has been on a downhill for the past several years. 1 shower. About 15-20 mins thru Airtram and security is long at T3 at times with all the United flyers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.