Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Nashville BNA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Platinum, Amex Plat, Kimpton Inner Circle

I checked into the BNA Sky Club today and ordered a vodka tonic. I made some calls, checked some email and then went back to the bar to get another one about 45 minutes later. The bartender informed me that he couldn't serve me another drink for 10 more minutes - "1 per hour, sir." I didn't want to act like a drunk and go off on him, so I waited 10 minutes. 10 minutes later he had a drink waiting on me. Is this a TN law or something?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:21 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Not a chance. I haven't been in the SC in BNA yet but you can be sure that when I am, one drink per hour will be unacceptable.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by chucktownmark
I checked into the BNA Sky Club today and ordered a vodka tonic. I made some calls, checked some email and then went back to the bar to get another one about 45 minutes later. The bartender informed me that he couldn't serve me another drink for 10 more minutes - "1 per hour, sir." I didn't want to act like a drunk and go off on him, so I waited 10 minutes. 10 minutes later he had a drink waiting on me. Is this a TN law or something?
How bizarre, but as a BNAtive it doesn't surprise me. Either it's a Fundie-inspired state law, or the barguy has his set of rigid beliefs which personally forbid his giving out more than 1 drink an hour. Yeah, I'd call him out to DL. If he's not a DL agent, I wonder if a little lettuce would have helped him change his stance?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Bit off topic... Isn't the BNA DSC one of the smaller lounges where the agent is also the bartender?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Bit off topic... Isn't the BNA DSC one of the smaller lounges where the agent is also the bartender?
There's almost always two staff, usually three during peak periods. Back on topic, I haven't run into this interpretation ...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Bar staff can be quite inventive on the regs, particularly so when they believe somebody arrived with quite a head start and wouldn't benefit from another drink too quickly.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
In Tennessee, the server and establishment can be liable if they serve too much and the consumer later goes on to be involved in an alcohol related injury. I don't believe there is an actual definition of how much constitutes too much. However, keep in mind that in late August 2009 Ruby Tuesday in Tennessee was found liable for over-serving a customer who later assaulted a man and was ordered to pay $10 million for serving the customer too much alcohol. Ruby Tuesday denied that they served too much alcohol but it was the equivalent of 19 beers over a 2 1/2 - 3 hour period of time and he appeared visibly intoxicated in the surveillance video. The server in an interview claimed that it may be too much for some people but not for everyone.

I am not saying that you were intoxicated after one drink, but it is possible that some servers and establishments in Tennessee are extra careful as a result since the metabolism rate is considered one drink per hour.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by chucktownmark
I am there about 100 - 150 days a year, and often have a couple drinks and have never had this happen. The gentleman bartender in the afternoon is among the most hospitable I've ever encountered. I haven't been there in a couple weeks (flying SW more lately) but that sounds out of character. I am not aware of a TN law that would specify this, but anything is possible, I've only lived here a couple years.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Maybe the bartender heard about this and this.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:52 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by marais
I wonder if a little lettuce would have helped him change his stance?
Tips are supposed to be after the fact for GOOD service. This act would be called a "bribe" and if it happened to me, I certainly would not be one to pad his wallet under any circumstance. Rather, complain about it to DL (I don't drink anything but a very occasional glass of wine, so it wouldn't happen to me anyway).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Air Brian
I am there about 100 - 150 days a year, and often have a couple drinks and have never had this happen. The gentleman bartender in the afternoon is among the most hospitable I've ever encountered. I haven't been there in a couple weeks (flying SW more lately) but that sounds out of character. I am not aware of a TN law that would specify this, but anything is possible, I've only lived here a couple years.
I go there about 30 times per year for the past 4 years.

I usually kill a couple of bottled Corona's before my next flight and most times only have 25 minutes to do so. I have neither seen nor heard of this restriction.

I have been there several times when only one agent is in the club (at the desk). I just wait until their not busy at the desk and ask them to pop over to the bar (it's about 25 feet from the desk).

Sidenote - It used to be that you could only order alcohol after 12 noon on Sunday's in the club. The Titans came to Nashville (with Sunday games and beer sales). The moral importance of instilling Sunday abstinence in the South was outgunned by the Titans' deal and the law was changed.

I love $$$ it makes the world go round.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I'm in there quite a bit, too. I've never had them refuse to serve me what I wanted, unless it was before 8A. They cite some TN law and don't even display the bottles behind the bar until that time. Funny, though, that the club in Memphis has bottles out at all hours. No 8A rule there!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by BNAChairman
I'm in there quite a bit, too. I've never had them refuse to serve me what I wanted, unless it was before 8A. They cite some TN law and don't even display the bottles behind the bar until that time. Funny, though, that the club in Memphis has bottles out at all hours. No 8A rule there!
TN has some funky liquor laws, as you know (selling beer separate from hard liquor).

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0100/0100-01.pdf

Rule 0100-1-.03

Consumption on Licensed Premises - No licensee shall permit alcoholic or malt beverages to be
consumed on the licensed premises between the hours of 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Monday through
Saturday or between the hours of 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Perhaps the MEM SC simply isn't licensed.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, SC, Marriott Plat
I was there yesterday. No restriction on timing of our second Bloody Marys, but they did ask that we bring back the dirty glasses. OK with me.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by slippahs
TN has some funky liquor laws, as you know (selling beer separate from hard liquor).

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0100/0100-01.pdf

Rule 0100-1-.03

Perhaps the MEM SC simply isn't licensed.
We were in OHARE of all places last Sunday, and while not in an airline club, were told we couldn't order Bloody Mary's until after 10am at a regular airport place. We're from the South & used to that, but it really surprised us in Chicago...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.