Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
On ABC news they just reported a new Instant Test Kits being available soon with results in minutes instead of the days now required.
I hope its true and they are able to make 10,000-50,000 a day or more , fingers crossed ,
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
The company which developed it recommends that it be prioritized for use by hospitals to triage patients and also to check health care workers.

I wonder how many times front line health care workers get tested in China, Korea and some other countries which have been able to do a lot of testing.

That is why a serological test which can confirm immunity could be a huge deal.
karenkay likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

That is why a serological test which can confirm immunity could be a huge deal.
Have they confirmed yet that there is immunity if you get it once ?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by J.Edward
The Millennials gave birth to the Corona-nials.
I believe the term is going to be the "Quaran-teenies."
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DW

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-la...2874174Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Saturday ordered a nationwide closure of all non-essential factories and companies until April 3.

"The decision taken by the government is to close down all productive activity throughout the territory that is not strictly necessary, crucial, indispensable, to guarantee us essential goods and services," he said on TV.

Essentials like groceries and pharmacies will stay open as will postal and banking services, he stressed, adding that the country is living through "its gravest crisis since World War II."

"We are slowing down the country's production engine, but we are not stopping it," Conte said.

BBC

The Italian region of Lombardy has introduced stricter measures in a bid to tackle the spread of Coronavirus: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51991972

Last edited by username; Mar 21, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by username
The Italian region of Lombardy has introduced stricter measures in a bid to tackle the spread of Coronavirus: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51991972
Not sure I understand why now.

The new 800 deaths probably all got sick before the lockdown was introduced. There is a 7-14 day incubation time, plus a "benign" first week of the illness before it gets into the lungs and kills you. So the death toll probably lags behind actual new infections by 2-3 weeks.

New people will continue to get infected even after a total lockdown for a few weeks, as family members living together infect each other.

Is there any research out there to see how effective the lockdown is if you take into account these factors?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by QtownDave
On ABC news they just reported a new Instant Test Kits being available soon with results in minutes instead of the days now required.
"Soon" for this administration usually means somewhere between several months and never/fantasy land.

"They are being distributed now" usually means somewhere between a few weeks and outright lies.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by wco81
Are there enough resources being put into developing serological tests?

Or is everyone chasing potentially lucrative vaccines and antiviral cocktails?
https://sph.nus.edu.sg/wp-content/up...ics-13-Mar.pdf

Page 2 for discussion about several different approaches. I also saw a preprint article recently from elsewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
My sister is currently somewhere in Patagonia, and Argentina has been extremely proactive in their response. With only about 100 cases they've shut down the borders and all public transit and ordered people to stay in place, trying to learn from Europe's mistake.

We rarely hear from South America here but I figured developments there will be interesting to follow, especially when it comes to a potential second wave and how to react correctly in limiting spread.
Small update: Argentina is clamping down so hard now, they've had officials (!) come by their hotel to tell every guest that they're not allowed to leave the premises, not even to go grocery shopping, because they're foreigners. The hotel personnel has to do that for them.

It's like war down there, damn.

Trying to convince her to get back home ASAP is like pulling teeth... such is family.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Not sure I understand why now.

Is there any research out there to see how effective the lockdown is if you take into account these factors?
Not sure about research but there is the graph in post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32212710-post4047.html
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I also saw a preprint article recently from elsewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
I suspect it's this: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....17.20037713v1 ("A serological assay to detect SARS-CoV-2 seroconversion in humans".)

Popular summary here: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...virus-pandemic
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
But in the US we DO have a history of neckerchiefs, particularly in the West ...

That’s what your doctor may look like soon...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-masks.html

“HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face”

I have read some FB comments from HCP friends about it that I can’t repeat here without violation T&C.
wrp96 and nk15 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Brilliant perspective on the entire fear vs reality we are dealing with right now.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13222

"The global economy and society may get a major blow from an epidemic that otherwise accounts for less than 0.01% of all 60 million annual global deaths from all causes and that kills almost exclusively people with relatively low life expectancy."

Sounds like another vote for 2-3 weeks of extreme distancing for all (to allow for more testing defer the peak of new cases, and to get the uneducated about this disease up to speed) followed by continued extreme distancing only for the most at-risk individuals.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Mar 21, 2020 at 8:09 pm Reason: identified which part of post was article quote
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Infection through ingestion?

If you consume food with some virus particles, assuming the heat hasn't killed them, would they survive digestion to enter the blood stream and then get transported into the vulnerable lung cells?

Primary routes to infection is through breathing in droplets containing virus particles?

How about through food?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Brilliant perspective on the entire fear vs reality we are dealing with right now.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13222

"The global economy and society may get a major blow from an epidemic that otherwise accounts for less than 0.01% of all 60 million annual global deaths from all causes and that kills almost exclusively people with relatively low life expectancy."

Sounds like another vote for 2-3 weeks of extreme distancing for all (to allow for more testing defer the peak of new cases, and to get the uneducated about this disease up to speed) followed by continued extreme distancing only for the most at-risk individuals.
Excellent reading. Thank you.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.