Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
More Firefighters quarantined Orange County Ca

Multiple OC firefighters placed in isolation after encountering patient being tested for COVID-19

A group of Orange County firefighters were placed in isolation after encountering a patient who was being tested for coronavirus as county leaders on Monday held an emergency meeting in response to the potentially deadly virus.

The firefighters from Engine Company 20 in Irvine were exposed to the patient on Saturday, according to an Orange County Fire Authority spokeswoman. The fire station has been disinfected and the firefighters are in isolation until test results come back.

OC Fire

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Mar 2, 2020 at 5:55 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So the news report that resources in WA are already stretched thin, and there are obviously very likely more people infected in the community. They are purchasing a hotel to quarantine people, so that's likely some of the future of the quarantines, hotels (and hopefully no worse as time goes by). It makes me wonder if there have been already covid-19 deaths in WA or elsewhere but were not detected or counted as such, or counted as regular flu deaths. Is there a way that all such deaths are properly diagnosed or autopsied?

Lastly, another expert on CBS reiterated that models suggest 40-70% worldwide infection, it won't be an existential threat event, but it will be a bad flu pandemic comparable to the 2-3 worst ones of the 20th century.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale
Hows the internet situation in China, akamai shows traffic is very low at this point. Are using an intl data card?
I have no idea what kind of data traffic akamai logs, and I can't speak for Shanghai, but here in Beijing there are absolutely no problems (with the usual caveat that a VPN is needed to access certain sites - and in other cases, such as Flyertalk, needed to avoid time-out issues with embedded calls to Google/Facebook/etc. trackers).

Yesterday afternoon (from home) I taught my Monday afternoon class to 12 students inside China, as well as three international students still in their home countries (one in France; one in Nepal; one in Pakistan). That was using something akin to Zoom (video+screensharing upload to a server - encoding - then delivery to the students - in our case though using a system run by my university). In my apartment complex there are about 500 other university staff and a good fraction of these will be doing the same thing (all teaching is being given remotely at the moment) - though obviously not all at the same time.

At one point yesterday during my class my wife (also working from home) also had to take part in a video-conference meeting with a client in Japan. This is all from a home-based ADSL connection. Other times during the day she is logged in to her company's system, both for document handling and analysis (this is a patent law office). In her case the company already had a system in place where nearly everything is handled "online" already. Out of an office staff of around 300, at the moment there are about 10 people in the office each day (staggered to minimize overlap) running tasks such as sorting mail (post) and scanning-in documents to their online system.

I think it was already mentioned waaaay up-thread, but they have been surprised at how easy it has been for everyone to work from home. For the first week they had online meetings at the group-leader and above level every day, to discuss problems and to set-up new workflow patterns. Now (three weeks later) those meeting are down to one on Monday and a review meeting on Friday. Obviously this doesn't apply to any kind of manufacturing - I don't have any first hand information there as my only contacts in that area are friends with small start-ups, and in most cases they are still running as normal (mostly in any case on local government seed funding rather than sales). I just remembered though that one of my ex-students works for P&G, so will ask about that.

Oh, and my PhD students are also still in their hometowns (including one in Wuhan) and not allowed to return to university - for these students I set up remote access software on their desktop PCs (in the student office on campus) and I can see heavy traffic flow on those connections - so either they are working on data analysis or gaming ... so no change to normal there either
notquiteaff, wrp96 and nk15 like this.

Last edited by GinFizz; Mar 2, 2020 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nk15
Lastly, another expert on CBS reiterated that models suggest 40-70% worldwide infection, it won't be an existential threat event, but it will be a bad flu pandemic comparable to the 2-3 worst ones of the 20th century.
The Fauci et al article in the NEJM

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...02387?query=RP

mentioned flu pandemics of 1957 and 1968.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

1957: 1.1 million worldwide, 116,000 in the US.

1968: 1 million worldwide, 100,000 in the US

Definitely not an existential thread for humanity. But do remember, this would be on top of the bad seasonal flu we already have. Still a lot of dead and many more severely sick people.

(I am quite concerned about places like India and most of Africa...)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GinFizz
I think it was already mentioned waaaay up-thread, but they have been surprised at how easy it has been for everyone to work from home. For the first week they had online meetings at the group-leader and above level every day, to discuss problems and to set-up new workflow patterns.
Working from home has been one of the more interesting sub plots to Covid.

Following are my observations:
1. Most people seem to like the arrangement
2. We have encountered several issues with guys/ladies slacking off
3. My CEO pondered the idea of installing cameras on their computers to monitor them, but I told him NO
-believe it or not, China has pretty strong privacy laws
4. I don't like the "we can't pay you because we are working from home" excuse; sort this stuff out, and spare me of the drama
5. We successfully asked our landlords to give us 60% reductions on our leases
6. Zoom will benefit from this
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
WHO published a report about what they observed in China.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...nal-report.pdf

First a summary of the cases:

Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease. Preliminary data suggests that the time period from onset to the development of severe disease, including hypoxia, is 1 week. Among patients who have died, the time from symptom onset to outcome ranges from 2-8 weeks.

An increasing number of patients have recovered; as of 20 February, 18264 (24%) reported cases have recovered. Encouragingly, a report on 20 February from the Guangdong CDC suggests that of 125 severe cases identified in Guangdong, 33 (26.4%) have recovered and been released from hospital, and 58 (46.4%) had improved and were reclassified as having mild/moderate disease (i.e. + milder pneumonia). Among severe cases reported to date, 13.4% have died. Early identification of cases and contacts allows for earlier treatment.
Then some more details on mild vs. severe or critical cases:

The main signs and symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, dry cough, fatigue, sputum production, shortness of breath, myalgia or arthralgia, sore throat, and headache. Nausea or vomiting has been reported in a small percentage of patients (5%). On 14 February, China CDC described the clinical features, outcomes, laboratory and radiologic findings of 44 672 laboratory-confirmed cases. Only 965 (2.2%) were under 20 years of age and there is just one recorded death (0.1%) in this age group. Most patients (77.8%) were aged 30 to 69 years. Patients aged over 80 years had a CFR of 14.8%. The CFR was highest in those with
comorbidities including cardiovascular, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, hypertension and cancer.

As opposed to Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, pregnant women do not appear to be at higher risk of severe disease. In an investigation of 147 pregnant women (64 confirmed, 82 suspected and 1 asymptomatic), 8% had severe disease and 1% were critical.

Severe cases are defined as tachypnoea (≧30 breaths/ min) or oxygen saturation ≤93% at rest, or PaO2/FIO2 <300 mmHg. Critical cases are defined as respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation, shock or other organ failure that requires intensive care. About a quarter of severe and critical cases require mechanical ventilation while the remaining 75% require only oxygen supplementation.
Transmission mechanics are interesting:

Routes of transmission

COVID-19 is transmitted via droplets and fomites during close unprotected contact between an infector and infectee. Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence; however, it can be envisaged if certain aerosol-generating procedures are conducted in health care facilities. Fecal shedding has been demonstrated from some patients, and viable virus has been identified in a limited number of case reports. However, the fecal-oral route does not appear to be a driver of COVID-19 transmission; its role and significance for COVID-19 remains to be determined. Viral shedding is discussed in the Technical Findings (Annex C).
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thanks for adding your insights.

I am curious, if I were to show up at your medical office/clinic/ER check in counter with flu-like symptoms tonight, what would be the process? I recently watched the Netflix “Pandemic” series where they showed an Ebola drill at a NY hospital. Given that at multiple locations medical staff has been quarantined after encounters with covid-19 patients, are there now new special procedures in place for any flu symptom patients (beyond handing them a face mask)? I have seen urgent care clinics that had special “infectious disease” entrances, but I don’t know that that is common.
I'm not at work today because I have a "cold" (I'm not very sick, no fever so I don't think it is Covid-19) and I do not think I should be at work, seeing patients when I have a cough/sneezing/runny nose. So I am not sure what they have done since I was at work Friday, before the local Covid-19 deaths occurred and before they loosened up on the availability of testing. Which seems like months ago now.

I work at a satellite clinic for a small rural hospital that is 20 miles away. The policy last week was for any patient who suspected Covid-19, they should call us first to discuss if or where they should be seen. If a patient suspicious for Covid-19 walks in, the front desk had a list of questions to ask - travel to Asia, fever, cough, exposure to someone known to have Covid-19. The patient is then told to take their cellphone and go back to their car to wait, while we called the health department to discuss what to do next.

Given that Covid-19 is now known to be in the community, I do not know how the patients who present with fever and cough (which is probably more likely to be influenza) should be handled. Send the doc or nurse in full PPE out to the car to interview the patient and get a flu swab? Refer them to the ER, which is small but reported to have and appropriate exam room? The Covid-19 tests are not yet available in every office; requests will still be run through the county health department. Stay tuned.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The Fauci et al article in the NEJM

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...02387?query=RP

mentioned flu pandemics of 1957 and 1968.

1957: 1.1 million worldwide, 116,000 in the US.

1968: 1 million worldwide, 100,000 in the US

Definitely not an existential thread for humanity. But do remember, this would be on top of the bad seasonal flu we already have. Still a lot of dead and many more severely sick people.

(I am quite concerned about places like India and most of Africa...)
It may likely be somewhere between the 1957/1968 ones and the 1918 one, but much closer to the former. Fauci on the evening news tonight said death rate between 2.5% and 1%, with 1% as the lower estimate.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
A group of Orange County firefighters were placed in isolation after encountering a patient who was being tested for coronavirus as county leaders on Monday held an emergency meeting in response to the potentially deadly virus.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...oms-city-says/

Some Kirkland firefighters who responded to the first reported cases of the novel coronavirus at a local care center have developed “flu-like” symptoms, the city said Monday.

The symptoms of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2, are similar to the flu and include cough, fever and shortness of breath.

On Friday, the city announced that it had quarantined 25 firefighters and two police officers who had responded to and transported patients from Life Care Center in Kirkland, which has become the epicenter for the most deadly outbreak of the virus in the U.S. On Monday, city spokeswoman Kellie Stickney said the number of quarantined firefighters had risen to 27, and that the city had been “notified that some of our firefighters in quarantine are demonstrating flu-like symptoms.”
We continue to lose first responders, nurses, and doctors with each case.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
It may likely be somewhere between the 1957/1968 ones and the 1918 one, but much closer to the former. Fauci on the evening news tonight said death rate between 2.5% and 1%, with 1% as the lower estimate.
I’ll take the 1% if that 2.5% to 1% is the range... but that is still a very bad outcome overall. I am not personally terribly concerned. But I have family members in the “bad outcome” age range. Let’s make sure the basis for that 1% (or whatever it is) is as small as possible. 1% of 100,000 is a lot different from 1% of 10 millions. Or 100,000,000. (US only)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by moondog

4. I don't like the "we can't pay you because we are working from home" excuse; sort this stuff out, and spare me of the drama
With regard at least to childcare (given that all schools here are still closed) in Beijing the local government announced mid-way through February that employers must find arrangements to allow one parent to work from home (or at least pay them).

" ..the Beijing Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau and the Beijing Municipal Education Commission jointly issued a notice stipulating that one spouse from every dual-working household shall be permitted to stay home and look after children under the age of 18. Likewise, the one parent staying home is entitled to full pay regardless of the amount of work they can get done, Lu clarified."

I am not sure how enforceable this is - and we don't have kids so cannot comment on how this works in practice. And it will only apply until such time as the school reopen. Full article on this is here

Originally Posted by moondog
5. We successfully asked our landlords to give us 60% reductions on our leases
Good job on getting the rent reduction - that is a decent sized deal!
Hoyaheel, wrp96 and nk15 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Because the government can close supermarkets in response to a local outbreak, or order you to stay indoors for a long time, and where are you going to get your supplies then?

Toilet paper of course only makes sense if you are stocking food too
The government would not allow people starve. In China while everything else is closed, food market and drug stores remain open. If they have to close one there will be another available until the first one is cleared. Another business that stays open is food delivery. My cousin in Tianhe District of Guangzhou said restaurants cannot open for sit down business, but can open for take out and delivery.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not sure if this has been reported before, but speaking with a foreign exchange student from Shantou China I learned a bit of how daily life is there. Schools are closed. Only one person per household is allowed to go out to buy food. It seems to be very strict.
This seems to be the usual and also the most strict case. One person allowed to go buy food. Market stays open.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Also, is it possible to contract both at the same time?
Yes it is possible. One of the deaths in Shanghai (I think the only one that wasn't a geriatric case) was infected with both SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza.
wrp96 and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inside edition has a tutorial tomorrow how to make your own hand sanitizer. That's what's on the curriculum tomorrow...
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GinFizz
….

Yesterday afternoon (from home) I taught my Monday afternoon class to 12 students inside China, as well as three international students still in their home countries (one in France; one in Nepal; one in Pakistan). That was using something akin to Zoom (video+screensharing upload to a server - encoding - then delivery to the students - in our case though using a system run by my university). In my apartment complex there are about 500 other university staff and a good fraction of these will be doing the same thing (all teaching is being given remotely at the moment) - though obviously not all at the same time.....
I saw a clip on the news about a faculty member in Italy, he was in the physical classroom and teaching in front of the empty seats, and I assume all students were streaming from home. It looked weird.

In your case, were you just videoing it, or was it interactive/synchronous, and were they able to ask questions during it? If yes, were the questions typed or via audio/video conferencing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.