Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, just my sense of generally how people react when one's wearing a surgical mask, especially in this environment. In addition, the CDC's recommendation not to wear one unless one is "sick," which I'd assume would be a cause of concern for some here.
A surgical mask, yes if you are sick...a respirator if you want to protect yourself against others. I'm thinking of going in full Walter White....
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nk15
Westerdam passengers prevented from leaving Cambodia, so it seems they are being tracked through the system, and are waiting for evacuation flights:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartanntp
How about there >800 which already left the country?

Stuck in Cambodia for medical care? Honestly, I'd rather being stuck in China (outside of Wuhan).
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
Is anyone delaying planned travel, or bringing along N96 face masks on your next trip? It takes two weeks for the infection to show up...that means people who have it now are infecting others whiteout symptoms showing.
It doesn’t always take two weeks, AFAIK.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Quarantine is usually established for the incubation period of the communicable disease, which is the span of time during which people have developed illness after exposure. For COVID-19, the period of quarantine is 14 days from the last date of exposure because 14 days is the longest incubation period seen for similar coronaviruses.”

Also, while it is thought that patients can infect others while they themselves are not having any symptoms, I am not sure that it has been proven.

I traveled to Europe (and back) recently and packed hand sanitizer and wipes as well as an N-95 mask that I had sitting around from 2018’s forest fires. I didn’t use the mask and my main reason was in case I ended up sitting next to someone with flu/cold symptoms. Not sure if I would have put it on myself or forced it upon that person

No current plans to change booked travel to Mexico (remote area) and Europe again. Will take the same stuff if today’s situation applies. No current plans to travel to Asia or on a cruise ship.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:37 pm

A surgical mask, yes if you are sick...a respirator if you want to protect yourself against others. I'm thinking of going in full Walter White....
Not sure if I have the terminology correct, but I'm using the N95 & N99 masks. Is that what you meant by respirator? Or, did you mean something else?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The US news are showing the Diamond Princess evacuation flights...they are equipped with a bunch of isolation chambers in the middle, and the flight crew is in full hazmat gear. They were telling passengers, "you are much better off getting off the ship now". They said next US evacuation is on March 4, so my understanding is they will only allow them to travel to the US by evacuation flight, nobody is getting released on their own recognizance, but this part is a bit murky.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 16, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Also, while it is thought that patients can infect others while they themselves are not having any symptoms, I am not sure that it has been proven.

This is well established I thought: Steve Walsh from the UK comes to mind.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Article about the Westerdam, a lot of things still murky, but it is for sure an amateur operation, to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...or-coronavirus
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by freecia
Seabourn is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp which also owns Princess and Holland America
Yes, but NCL and Celebrity have also been cancelling cruises, so it's not just the one company. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-sailings.html
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by narvik
This is well established I thought: Steve Walsh from the UK comes to mind.
It’s quite possible. I just remember the initial paper from Germany that later was considered not conclusive.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Article about the Westerdam, a lot of things still murky, but it is for sure an amateur operation, to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...or-coronavirus

Would be interesting to know where the “escaped” passengers are heading. Will they have a special welcome committee waiting for them at customs and immigration?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Yes, but NCL and Celebrity have also been cancelling cruises, so it's not just the one company. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-sailings.html
The next cruise of the Wuhandam out of Yokohama is also canceled (2/29).

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/...rdam-in-japan/

Out of an abundance of caution, Holland America Line has decided to cancel the Feb. 29 cruise of Westerdam. The ship was due to depart Yokohama for a 14-day round trip cruise visiting mostly Japanese ports.

Holland America Line has been closely monitoring the very fluid and evolving situation with respect to the new Covid-19 that originated in mainland China. The difficult decision to cancel this cruise comes after carefully considering the highly dynamic and unpredictable changes seen the past couple of weeks in travel restrictions and port operations that could affect the cruise.

All guests will receive a full refund. Each guest will also receive a 50% future cruise credit and reimbursement of cancellation fees.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Would be interesting to know where the “escaped” passengers are heading. Will they have a special welcome committee waiting for them at customs and immigration?
It looks like the cruise company is controlling the flights home...Imagine the mess of booking 1600 tickets and then cancelling them.

"Erik Elvejord, Holland America's public relations director, said the process of getting passengers home would take a few days, with the goal of having everyone off the ship by Sunday. After transferring to Phnom Penh via charter flights, passengers were to catch flights home, which were arranged and paid for by Holland America."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ve/4771419002/

Last edited by nk15; Feb 16, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I know this well. I have a Celebrity cruise booked in early April this year to the South Pacific, including islands who are currently denying docking to several cruise ships. It's... interesting... that some people are signing up for the cruise now. I don't know if they're hoping for future cruise credit and/or a cruise to nowhere while those who booked for the itinerary are hoping things take a turn for the better and/or waiting for Celebrity to announcement what they're doing about the sailing.
LapLap and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
I know this well. I have a Celebrity cruise booked in early April this year to the South Pacific, including islands who are currently denying docking to several cruise ships. It's... interesting... that some people are signing up for the cruise now. I don't know if they're hoping for future cruise credit and/or a cruise to nowhere while those who booked for the itinerary are hoping things take a turn for the better and/or waiting for Celebrity to announcement what they're doing about the sailing.
Or if this keeps up the cruise companies go bankrupt and those who book now lose their money.

Its hard to know if one should invest in travel or survivalist gear right now...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Is anyone delaying planned travel, or bringing along N96 face masks on your next trip? It takes two weeks for the infection to show up...that means people who have it now are infecting others whiteout symptoms showing.
I just back from Japan, and wore an N-95 whenever I was in public. It is a PIA to wear it, and a real commitment to prevention and self-preservation. Effective use of the mask involves a tight seal, and with that is a lot of re-breathing and vapor accumulation. For that reason, it is no surprise that I didn’t see anyone else with this mask, only the flimsy ones that don’t really offer much self-protection.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.