Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

According to this analysis https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56 we seem to be doing more of what I marked with the red X before properly limiting or even eliminating commercial air travel domestically.

The US needs to protect the cold spots from the hot spots, at least while the "hammer" phase of 3 weeks is going on.

At a minimum, let the airlines run cargo-only flights, but the cost-benefit is pretty clear. Also, the bailout one day will be more costly with the airlines running than shut down to passenger travel for 3 weeks. Not sure why international travel is different from domestic travel when we have numbers like NY compared to the numbers in the domestic destination city.

3 weeks. That is all. Limit new infections during that time. Then reopen with a society well educated in social distancing.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin

According to this analysis https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56 we seem to be doing more of what I marked with the red X before properly limiting or even eliminating commercial air travel domestically.

The US needs to protect the cold spots from the hot spots, at least while the "hammer" phase of 3 weeks is going on.

At a minimum, let the airlines run cargo-only flights, but the cost-benefit is pretty clear. Also, the bailout one day will be more costly with the airlines running than shut down to passenger travel for 3 weeks. Not sure why international travel is different from domestic travel when we have numbers like NY compared to the numbers in the domestic destination city.

3 weeks. That is all. Limit new infections during that time. Then reopen with a society well educated in social distancing.
I agree that striking the right cost/benefit is critical, but I will note that from what I can google, both South Korea and Japan have closed their schools and universities, right? What are the other key differences (besides testing) in the South Korea/Japan approach vs, say California's? I'm genuinely looking for a detailed comparison because I want to understand, not at all doubting anyone.

It does seem that reducing density of contact overall, widespread testing, and widespread wearing some form of protective masks (not mainly to protect you but to reduce statistical spread), can all work together for a big benefit. Unfortunately in the US we can't yet do the latter 2, so have to bias more toward the first one, despite its large economic cost.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm with you on this one...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:13 pm

Without the masks, then the US will need more distancing in densely populated areas and standard social distancing in other areas. But schools will need to remain closed everywhere through the end of the spring semester. Classrooms are the most socially un-distant setting we have in many suburban and rural areas without weddings, meetings, and sporting events going on. We cannot just reopen them for two weeks at the end of the year. They probably will reopen for events like AP exams where they can be proctored at 5 students per room instead of 20.

But if we all just wash our hands and assume that every table, armrest, and doorknob could be infected because the last person who was there coughed on it and was not wearing a mask. So my hope is handwashing can make up for some of the lack of masks except possibly if someone in the household is sick or if you travel in full airplanes and subways or congregate in large groups, but handwashing can make up for it in other settings.

And a scarf is better than nothing at all. But I get triggered when anyone in the US says that masks don't work. Their opinion would be different if every household had a box of masks.
FAA1996 and yurtripper like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Without the masks, then the US will need more distancing in densely populated areas and standard social distancing in other areas. But schools will need to remain closed everywhere through the end of the spring semester. Classrooms are the most socially un-distant setting we have in many suburban and rural areas without weddings, meetings, and sporting events going on. We cannot just reopen them for two weeks at the end of the year. They probably will reopen for events like AP exams where they can be proctored at 5 students per room instead of 20.

But if we all just wash our hands and assume that every table, armrest, and doorknob could be infected because the last person who was there coughed on it and was not wearing a mask. So my hope is handwashing can make up for some of the lack of masks except possibly if someone in the household is sick or if you travel in full airplanes and subways or congregate in large groups, but handwashing can make up for it in other settings.

And a scarf is better than nothing at all. But I get triggered when anyone in the US says that masks don't work. Their opinion would be different if every household had a box of masks.
I am encouraging everyone I know to make home-made washable cloth masks, to reduce onward transmission...IF anyone knows any clothing manufacturer moguls, getting them on-board would also be good, but I've drawn a blank there myself for the most part.

I realise this goes against the official US/European guidelines, but it doesn't go against my understanding of the science...

tb
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by trueblu
I am encouraging everyone I know to make home-made washable cloth masks, to reduce onward transmission...IF anyone knows any clothing manufacturer moguls, getting them on-board would also be good, but I've drawn a blank there myself for the most part.

I realise this goes against the official US/European guidelines, but it doesn't go against my understanding of the science...

tb
Like this maybe?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043/
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:21 pm

Here is one example in NYC: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-andrew-cuomo
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I also think it needs to go hand in hand with educating people about the difference between an N95 mask and a surgical mask/scarf/barrier device and WHY it should used. There's far too much people are stupid, won't act the way we want and might panic, so let's keep them in the dark and treat them like children.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:25 pm

For protective suits, the material is made here but the suits are fabricated elsewhere.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/coro...-shortage.html

Have not heard much about this fabrication coming back to the USA.
Clearly these are not as important as a properly fit N-95, but they are important, and it is something that is already made here and we were exporting just a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
For a sense of how far China went to contain the virus, a Japanese expat there has made a short documentary about what life was like in Nanjing. The extent of temperature checking and social distancing were even more than I thought

https://youtu.be/YfsdJGj3-jM
I watched a lot of videos posted by Mainland Chinese Youtubers in February. The kind of caution they take is serious - keeping distance on queues, getting sprayed with alcohol when they get home, etc.

Now a lot of Taiwanese are going back to TW and here is how some picked up their families:
at 8:00

This is why what I see in the US really worries me - not only the government is not forceful enough with the preparations and controls, the citizens are also not taking enough caution (other than shopping for food and toilet paper).

HKTraveler, Loren Pechtel and nk15 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:41 pm

The College Board has already announced that AP exams will be at-home only. My HS junior is not happy about this, as the format they've been preparing for is going to be very different (only covering the first 2/3 of material in each subject, 45 minutes of free-response questions, presumably because that's easier to detect cheating on than multiple choice). And SAT March (including the wishful-thinking makeup dates they set) and May dates have been canceled; the next one is June 6 but I'd give that 50/50.

Agree -- there's a lot of all-or-nothing thinking that can be dangerous right now. Wearing a mask that only reduces my chances of getting it by say 10%, and only reduces my chances of unknowingly passing it on by 50% is still immensely valuable to society if most people do the same.
JNelson113, wrp96, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posted in the mask wearing thread

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

For any of you DIY people out there, you can make masks at home. The most effective material to use would be a vacuum bag (but it’s difficult to breathe with). The second most effective material is an old tshirt made out of cloth.

Also, people are continuously citing masks don’t work to protect you. I find this claim dubious at best.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645/

facemask protection was found to be 45 per cent, while under expiratory emissions, protection varied from 33 to 100 per cent.

Pretty sure 33% (at the low end) is a lot better than 0%. But again it’s not about you, it’s about protecting others in case you have it. If the logic goes that you wearing a mask protects others, if everyone wears a mask than we all protect each other
JetBunny, LapLap, FAA1996 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Clinical presentation

Just an update worth highlighting on clinical presentation of COVID-19 in case it has not been previously discussed: there is now growing evidence that infection doesn't always lead to cough, fever and shortness of breath. A significant proportion of infected people present with other features such as abdominal pain, diarrhoea and anosmia (loss of sense of smell). COVID-19 is not just cough/fever/shortness of breath and I think we need to get the message out to the general public that any new onset illness could potentially be related to COVID-19. I think we are potentially missing millions of people who have been infected and develop non-respiratory symptoms.

We urgently need to develop and implement serology testing to identify people who have been exposed but may not have realised as they did not experience the classical respiratory presentation. I am quite skeptical about whether current PCR tests are correctly identifying infected individuals and I think there is a significant false negative rate which is falsely reassuring people who are actually infected.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This guy, Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_bril...stop_pandemics , gave an interview recently on Covid-19: https://www.wired.com/story/coronavi...pidemiologist/
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended

On ABC news they just reported a new Instant Test Kits being available soon with results in minutes instead of the days now required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.