Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by simpletastes
Given that N95 masks are in short supply, is it feasible to reuse them?
Do not reuse.

Touching the mask, once properly fitted, even when removing, will transfer infectious particles to your hands.
Any liquid applied to the mask, damages the mask, rendering it less or ineffective.
wrp96 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:26 pm

Does mouth wash kill the Corona Virus or make your mouth and throat less likely to "accept" the virus
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81
Problem is there's nowhere to put them.

San Francisco doesn't have 4000 hotel rooms or places to house them while they test and if necessary, quarantine them.
As conferences at Moscone cancel, there will be plenty of hotel rooms in SF.

But like STS-134, I wouldn’t put the quarantined passengers up in SF. The Central Valley is big and relatively sparsely populated. With plenty of motels along the freeways (not sure that I would old people in tents).

It really sucks to be among those passengers, and I am sorry for what they are going through now and in the near term. But some of this is in their own best interest - the older travelers really should not be clustered together on a ship (see Corona Princess).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...e-tot-outchina

Cases outside China went from 1000 on Feb18th to 21000 on Mar 5th. That’s 4 doubling in 16 days or doubling per 4 days.

If this holds (why not) in a week we are going to have more cases outside, then in China. In 2 weeks we are going to have 150k cases worldwide outside of China.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 6, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...cid=spartanntp
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Some highlights:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

"The number of infections climbed past 7,300 in Europe on Friday — more than doubling in just three days."

"New York City pleads for more tests"

"Nursing homes “everywhere” around the country had begun complaining about shortages of masks and gowns, the executive, David Gifford, said."
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Do not reuse.

Touching the mask, once properly fitted, even when removing, will transfer infectious particles to your hands.
Any liquid applied to the mask, damages the mask, rendering it less or ineffective.
hmm... the diamond princess passengers were delivered a surgical, an n95, and an n95 vented mask each. for their last 7 days onboard.
​​​​;(

the cheap n95 respirator masks I bought say discard after 5 days max. but I am sure that pertains only to smog/dust not viruses.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:31 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Does mouth wash kill the Corona Virus or make your mouth and throat less likely to "accept" the virus
trueblu any thoughts?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by expert7700
hmm... the diamond princess passengers were delivered a surgical, an n95, and an n95 vented mask each. for their last 7 days onboard.
​​​​;(

the cheap n95 respirator masks I bought say discard after 5 days max. but I am sure that pertains only to smog/dust not viruses.
And on top of that, one has to be fit-tested for those types of masks (source: sometimes I have to wear a P100 respirator, and the fit testing is annoying, but warranted). Also, you cannot have any facial hair, or it negates the mask.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Egypt is Iran in coming, from CNN:

Maryland's 3 coronavirus cases are linked to an Egyptian river cruise

Three Maryland patients contracted the coronavirus on a Nile River cruise in Egypt, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced in a news conference.

Hogan said these cases also appear to be linked to six confirmed coronavirus cases in Texas who were also on a Nile River cruise.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Do not reuse.
While re-use is not optimal, even the CDC recognizes that in times of need, re-use may be needed. For example:
"Limited re-use of N95 respirators for COVID-19 patients

Limited re-use of N95 respirators when caring for patients with COVID-19 might become necessary. However, it is unknown what the potential contribution of contact transmission is for SARS-CoV-2, and caution should be used. Re-use should be implemented according to CDC guidance. Re-use has been recommended as an option for conserving respirators during previous respiratory pathogen outbreaks and pandemics. It may also be necessary to re-use N95 respirators when caring for patients with varicella or measles, although contact transmission poses a risk to HCP who implement this practice."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...trategies.html

And:

"Limited re-use of N95 respirators for tuberculosis

Re-use refers to the practice of using the same N95 respirator by one HCP for multiple encounters with different patients but removing it (i.e. doffing) after each encounter. This practice is often referred to as “limited reuse” because restrictions are in place to limit the number of times the same respirator is reused. It is important to consult with the respirator manufacturer regarding the maximum number of donnings or uses they recommend for the N95 respirator model. If no manufacturer guidance is available, data suggests limiting the number of reuses to no more than five uses per device to ensure an adequate safety margin.1 N95 and other disposable respirators should not be shared by multiple HCP. CDC has recommended guidance on implementation of limited re-use of N95 respirators in healthcare settings.

For pathogens for which contact transmission is not a concern, routine limited reuse of single-use disposable respirators has been practiced for decades. For example, for tuberculosis prevention, a respirator classified as disposable can be reused by the same provider as long as the respirator maintains its structural and functional integrity. To extend the supply of N95 respirators during an anticipated dwindling supply, HCP could be encouraged to reuse their N95 respirators when caring for patients with tuberculosis disease.

To maintain the integrity of the respirator, it is important for HCP to hang used respirators in a designated storage area or keep them in a clean, breathable container such as a paper bag between uses. It is not recommended to modify the N95 respirator by placing any material within the respirator or over the respirator. Modification may negatively affect the performance of the respirator and could void the NIOSH approval."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...trategies.html

So, if Health Care Professional are advised to re-use in an emergency, anyone who has a limited supply certainly should entertain the idea as well.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
good luck to her. What a way to start a medical career.”
She worked at Time Square taking care of AIDs and metal patients before going into Medical School, and have been in middle east refugee camp and Africa for some time. She chose SF General because of the homeless population, did not expect to serve luxury cruise guests.

Originally Posted by simpletastes
Given that N95 masks are in short supply, is it feasible to reuse them? I would only wear them when taking public transportation to and from work so 1 hour each day. I was thinking of spraying aerosolized disinfectant on them. Seems better than wiping or washing them. Stupid idea?
Unless the public transportation is crowded with several infected passengers, the N95 is likely unnecessary. The pathogen density needs be high enough to cause infection, which usually happens in a hospital setting especially when the patient opens mouth to do diagnosis. PM2.5 particles have terminal velocity around 0.1 mm/sec, or up to 10 minutes suspension in the air then they have to fall within about two meters. It is not not that easy to accumulate heavy enough aerosol load in the air from a patient to hurt you. The risk of infection through contact and through droplets are far larger. This is why the DP (and now GP) infection rate is not so much because people are breathing the same air. It is the contact.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:19 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by iahphx
If you want to worry about anyone in America today, worry about the Grand Princess pax. They're going to have to get lucky to have no one with corona on that ship. Now they could get lucky. It could be the Westerdam. But those odds are well below 50%. And if somebody does test positive, what the heck are the authorities going to do? First, I am sure they'll get them off the boat somewhere. But where? And who? And do they let folks testing negative fly home and self-quarantine (I think they have to, but do they let them leave immediately?). It may not be pretty. Fingers crossed for the best.

Personally, I think the world needs to stop cruising for about 2 months. I'm sorry about that, but I think it's best.
21 cases out of 46 tested. It's Wuhan Princess 2.0.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by helvetic
21 cases out of 46 tested. It's Wuhan Princess 2.0.
And, the first case in Hawaii is a GP passenger who returned home:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...sh-green-says/
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:33 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by invisible
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...e-tot-outchina

Cases outside China went from 1000 on Feb18th to 21000 on Mar 5th. That’s 4 doubling in 16 days or doubling per 4 days.

If this holds (why not) in a week we are going to have more cases outside, then in China. In 2 weeks we are going to have 150k cases worldwide outside of China.
I don't imagine we'd see this easily in official numbers as countries will soon reach testing capacity limits and will not be able to accurately report new cases. At a certain point, counting every case is hard and we can only go based off of statistical estimates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.