Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
BTW, if anyone here actually contracts this..... Well, when we had the whole Swine Flu thing a few years back, Flyertalkers (myself included) maintained a diary thread on Omni. It was kind of helpful/interesting to see how the conditions afflicted different victims in different ways. I'm rather hoping it doesn't come to that since this particular virus sounds more dangerous than Swine Flu*.

* Which left me feeling a bit weak and looking like the *****rd lovechild of a Klingon and a Leper for a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezefllying
While I'll try to avoid incurring a change fee as much as the next passenger, I'm sincerely struggling to imagine continuing with travel plans to the mainland because I can't get out of paying $300 to cancel.

I flew LAX-IAH yesterday on United. Seated next to me, in the middle seat, was a very unobtrusive young woman reading Mandarin-language news and wearing a standard surgical mask. Her male travel companion -- brother? boyfriend? -- was in the middle seat across the way. She seemed sleepy -- not exactly breaking news on an entertainment-less UA 737-900 -- but otherwise gave no indication of being sick.

Which is to say, I've spent the last 24 hours neurotically cleaning things and planning for my demise. (Please tell me I'm being unreasonably nervous here.) I don't even know if she was connecting from China, though maybe. It's not entirely rational on my part (though LAX has apparently seen its share of infected travelers), but, then again, neither is flying to an epidemic hot zone because you can't get out of a change fee.
I know the feeling. I was in a college town supermarket yesterday. As many know, we have hundreds of thousands of mainland Chinese studying at our universities, and many have just returned to the States from the Winter holiday. In front of me online appeared to be 2 such students, speaking Chinese. When one of them sneezed, I casually stepped back a couple of feet. That said, when I was in a Trader Joe's last week, the customer in front of me (not Chinese) coughed. After he left, the cashier immediately wiped down the counter and payment terminal. Paranoia sucks but, hey, people are people.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
During winter I sanitize/wipe my office frequently, usually after meetings. Anybody shows up sick for a meeting I cancel it/send them away. That's just for the regular flu/colds.

I almost never get sick because of precautions. I am so annoyed when people don't take basic precautions, like handwashing, or come to work sick, and foist their germs on others...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:33 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Precautions are good, but the body is strongest when it is exposed to things and develops resistance. Those that live in a bubble, hope there is a super antibiotic for you and or immunization for you.

I know it is extreme thing to say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I fly a lot,and get exposed to a lot, I wash more for things like food poisoning/bacteria or toxins then disease, for that you need to expose the body and let it learn how to fight!

Last edited by chipmaster; Jan 27, 2020 at 6:45 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-china

Entire mainland area now under Level 3 CDC warning.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Precautions are good, but the body is strongest when it is exposed to things and develops resistance. Those that live in a bubble, hope there is a super antibiotic for you and or immunization for you.

I know it is extreme thing to say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I fly a lot,and get exposed to a lot, I wash more for things like food poising or toxins then disease, for that you need to expose the body and let it learn how to fight!
You do know that the SARS, MERS and Spanish FLU killed those that had the so called strongest immune systems (healthy people). It was people's own body's immune system overreacting and attacking/fighting one's won body to a foreign pathogen that killed them and those that survive makes people feel awful for weeks after.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-charter...ry?id=68571310

CDC evacuation flight is apparently going to go from WUH-ANC-ONT. Individuals on the flight "will be screened for symptoms at the airport prior to departure and subject to additional screening, observation and monitoring requirements by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention".
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
This is super serious and the one feeling bored in HKG should really be worried about being infected, quarantined and bored in an underprepared Chinese hospital.
Very informative video here
https://bit.ly/313N0Pc
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by ashkale
This is super serious and the one feeling bored in HKG should really be worried about being infected, quarantined and bored in an underprepared Chinese hospital.
Very informative video here
https://bit.ly/313N0Pc

What would they do, quarantine people in HK and move them to hospitals and quarantine facilities in China?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by invisible
Take a look at the table at right hand side:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...virus_outbreak

Starting from 18th of Jan, number of confirmed cases compared to the previous day:
2020.01.19 - 198
2020.01.20 - 291 +93
2020.01.21 - 440 +149
2020.01.22 - 571 +131
2020.01.23 - 830 +259
2020.01.24 - 943 +113
Originally Posted by eagle215
You do know that the SARS, MERS and Spanish FLU killed those that had the so called strongest immune systems (healthy people). It was people's own body's immune system overreacting and attacking/fighting one's won body to a foreign pathogen that killed them and those that survive makes people feel awful for weeks after.
Yup there are many diseases that cause the own bodies to attack itself, that is a debate for another day, LOL. Let the meek inherit the world, it is where we are going, LOL^2

Regardless I hope the best for those in the China and else where impacted, and hopefully you all have your own travel/finances and such tied up so to speak
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by STS-134
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-china

Entire mainland area now under Level 3 CDC warning.
Doesnt include HKG
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm in Hong Kong for CNY, but I'm bored since I've been to HK many times in my life. That's why I asked about Shenzhen and Guangzhou. They're not event close to Wuhan so that's why I'm not scared.
Originally Posted by wco81
What would they do, quarantine people in HK and move them to hospitals and quarantine facilities in China?
Referring the post by lsquare.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm in Hong Kong for CNY, but I'm bored since I've been to HK many times in my life. That's why I asked about Shenzhen and Guangzhou. They're not event close to Wuhan so that's why I'm not scared.
Rather than actual distance, the relevant notion of closeness here should reflect transportation networks and CNY/migrant worker travel patterns.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Rather than actual distance, the relevant notion of closeness here should reflect transportation networks and CNY/migrant worker travel patterns.
Which puts areas near SFO, LAX, and EWR/JFK/LGA firmly in the crosshairs of this thing. CDC better be on the ball in executing a good policy of containment when someone arrives with the virus. And at this point, it's not if, it's when. It's already happened at least 3 times in my state alone.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:32 pm

Shenzhen Airlines offering free cancellations on all flights to China (though it is only mentioned on their Chinese page, not the English page). Good luck if you can't speak Chinese though when you call up - the "English" speakers can't speak English at all. I had to get a Chinese speaker to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.