Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Wow - IME experience 9am is a little early to be packed. I guess the earlier-departing flights have expanded.
More to do with all the early arrivals at SFO. Flights arriving before 9AM include: TLV, ICN, TPE, AKL, SYD, MEL, PPT, SIN, HKG. All the connecting passengers will fill it up quickly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:20 pm

Hello all, here is my situation, I have Aeroplan business class award ticket (014 stock) with all flight segments in the same PNR.

Flight is ATL (UA economy) -> IAH (BR Business) -> TPE. I know based on the rules I am eligible for Polaris Lounge at IAH,

However, I arrive in IAH in the morning and the outbound BR flight is 14+ hours later at 01:00am, which is technically the next day if based on calendar day. Will the agent let me in the lounge? and will I get onward BR boarding pass issued by UA when checking in at ATL so that I can scan into lounge?

Thank you all in advance and appreciate any insights!
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
...Will the agent let me in the lounge? and will I get onward BR boarding pass issued by UA when checking in at ATL so that I can scan into lounge?...
Yes and yes. 14 hours - there are countless relatively cheap places nearby w/ shuttles. Why not hit up Polaris Lounge or UC for a bite on arrival at IAH and get a room for 10-11 hours?
jsloan and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes and yes. 14 hours - there are countless relatively cheap places nearby w/ shuttles. Why not hit up Polaris Lounge or UC for a bite on arrival at IAH and get a room for 10-11 hours?
Thanks for the reply! Funny thing is, initially I was booked on earlier ATL-IAH arriving at 17:00. Silly me thought that it wouldn't give me me enough time to enjoy dinner at Polaris Lounge before they close dining room ~7 and also wanted to build more buffer in case of last minute summer irrop (trip is for summer 2024). Was given option of 10:40 or 13:10 arrival and made the choice of 10:40 thinking might as well have a super long connection and work all day in the Polaris lounge. Then i decided to look up UA connecting bag policy just in case and found out UA had a 12 hour limit for through baggage connection, and now gotta worry what to do with my bags, even if the Polaris access is not an issue....
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
Thanks for the reply! Funny thing is, initially I was booked on earlier ATL-IAH arriving at 17:00. Silly me thought that it wouldn't give me me enough time to enjoy dinner at Polaris Lounge before they close dining room ~7 and also wanted to build more buffer in case of last minute summer irrop (trip is for summer 2024). Was given option of 10:40 or 13:10 arrival and made the choice of 10:40 thinking might as well have a super long connection and work all day in the Polaris lounge. Then i decided to look up UA connecting bag policy just in case and found out UA had a 12 hour limit for through baggage connection, and now gotta worry what to do with my bags, even if the Polaris access is not an issue....
That’ll complicate things, because now you’re going to move over to D terminal from bag claim at C to check in bag(s) if UA doesn’t check them through at ATL. You’ll pick up bag and go to underground people mover tunnel to get to D. Check in w/ BR might not be available until 3 hours before flight. If UA doesn’t check through from ATL, a room makes even more sense. D (where EVA will depart) and E (where Polaris Lounge is) are connected airside.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:57 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Since flying on EVA business TPE > SFO (with a connection to LAX) does NOT qualify for PL, is there ANY lounge access included with EVA business into SFO while waiting for the LAX flight?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
Since flying on EVA business TPE > SFO (with a connection to LAX) does NOT qualify for PL, is there ANY lounge access included with EVA business into SFO while waiting for the LAX flight?
Your profile says that you're 1K, so you should have United Club access.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:44 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by jsloan
Your profile says that you're 1K, so you should have United Club access.
So, a 1K with an EVA business ticket gains access to United Club, due to *G?

For clarification, it's an award ticket booked on UA using EVA TPE>SFO (business), and SFO>LAX (economy). It is for my wife (my MM 1K companion) and my daughter that will be with her.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes - *G (your spouse via you) gets UC lounge access on any part of an international itinerary.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
ID check after scanning BP at IAD Polaris. Is this new? What’s the scam - screenshot BPs?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
ID check after scanning BP at IAD Polaris. Is this new? What’s the scam - screenshot BPs?
No, not new, happens most of the time at most of the polaris lounges. Yes, apparently people using duplicated BPs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
No, not new, happens most of the time at most of the polaris lounges. Yes, apparently people using duplicated BPs.
and at IAD most of the time, they specifically want passport rather than any ID
Old Oct 12, 2023, 11:36 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by gusd
and at IAD most of the time, they specifically want passport rather than any ID
SFO also requested passport the other day.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Certainly not new, had to provide it every visit without exceptions.

Originally Posted by fumje
It is not even hard - one can print as many BPs as one wants and give them to anyone. I am surprised that is not done in other places.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2023 at 8:17 pm Reason: merged consecutive
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
So no access on a UA ticket on ANA metal in J arriving in SFO and connecting on united domestic first class? Bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.