Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jsloan
Wiki Link
UA states for Polaris Lounge access
- Customers in United Polaris first & business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing. Polaris First can guest 1 companion, Polaris Business - no guest
United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
- Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their *A international first or business class flight for long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru.
Note- this does not include flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, "more northern" South American countries (such as Columbia, Venezuela, Ecuador, ...).
Again, eligible *A International First passengers can guest 1 companion, and eligible *A International Business - no guest

There is no Polaris Lounge access based on elite status (including GS), access passes, credit card, ....

The UA Polaris cabin customers do have access to Polaris Lounges (and United Clubs) at all origin, connection and destination/arrival airports with 24 hours (same day) of their Polaris cabin flight (based on scheduled departure time).

UA is not labeling Polaris Lounges as a "Star Alliance Lounge" or "Star Alliance Business Lounge" -- United Clubs are fulfilling that role.

Photo ID required?
There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's).

If I am on a UA fight with lie-flat seats do I have Polaris Lounge access? What about PS/Premium Transcontinental Service flights? (SFO<>EWR/BOS, LAX<>EWR)
No & No, you will have access only on Polaris cabin marketed tickets.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 18, 6:43 am
Original Poster

I’m flying LHR to SFO to BUR first leg is Polaris Business but second leg is Y class because there is no first/business on the AC
- can I access the Polaris lounge in SFO during my layover?
Old May 12, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by burbankflyer View Post
I’m flying LHR to SFO to BUR first leg is Polaris Business but second leg is Y class because there is no first/business on the AC
- can I access the Polaris lounge in SFO during my layover?
Welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the United threads!

Yes, since you are flying LHR to SFO in Polaris Business, you do have access to the Polaris Lounge in SFO. Enjoy it!
Old Jun 24, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG RA (Spire), MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, National EE
If I’m booked BOS-SFO-YVR in biz, will I have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO?
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 View Post
If I’m booked BOS-SFO-YVR in biz, will I have access to the Polaris lounge in SFO?
No, Canada flights do not qualify.
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 View Post
If SFO-YVR is UA operated, No. None of those flights are Polaris marketed tickets.

If AC operated, there is no definitive posted policy for SFO, however, there is for ORD and the answer is No.
There has been at least one report of a denial for SFO and AC transborder flights.

The reason for the AC denial would be the equivalent UA operated flight would not qualify as a Polaris marketed flight.
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

Can I access the United Polaris lounge if my travel is terminating at EWR in Polaris from NRT - EWR?
if so how would the logistics work?
Would I have to check in my bags in storage and go through TSA with a boarding pass issued at NRT to access the lounge post security?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
Can I access the United Polaris lounge if my travel is terminating at EWR in Polaris from NRT - EWR?
if so how would the logistics work?
Would I have to check in my bags in storage and go through TSA with a boarding pass issued at NRT to access the lounge post security?

Thanks!
If you had an onward boarding pass from EWR to anywhere to get past security, yes you’d have access to the lounge. A terminating NRT-EWR boarding pass won’t get you past security at EWR, so no lounge if that’s the case.
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Global Service, DL Million Miler
Multiple Polaris Club Access / EWR + IAH

I booked in Polaroid from TLV-EWR-IAH-BOG. Access in EWR to the Polaris lounge was a given, but I was nervous about access to the newly opened club in Houston on my second stop. The access rules are sort of vague about a 24 hour in/out flight, but doesn’t mention that the club airport is the origin of that in/out flight.

Anyway - no questions asked, I entered the IAH Polaris club, scanned my IAH-BOG (which is South America, but not a Polaris flight). Light turned green and they let me in. This means to me .... that I could connect with something like SYD-LAX-IAH-Final, and stil be able to use the IAH Polaris club. Good information to know for next booking.

Just posting this as an informational if anyone else in interested. Hope it’s helpful.
82Ag likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:41 am

Yes, this is according to the United Polaris lounge access policy. If you take the red-eye TLV-EWR and continue to IAH and then to SFO you could see 3 Polaris lounges during their opening hours.

Customers in United Polaris first/business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.

Thanks for the data point.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-lounges.html

Last edited by mozilla; Jul 19, 18 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
Even the 24hrs is fuzzy, I conducted a "Fishing expedition" a few weeks ago
Seperate PNR's
Flying ORD-XXX at roughly 11am on day 1
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 09:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)
Came back at 10:01am and tried again and was granted access

But, I had to book it as I was leaving from B25ish and had a long walk

Last edited by Hipplewm; Jul 19, 18 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Seperate PNR's
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 10:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)

Key phrase here is same day, not 24 hours. I am assuming you were denied access at ORD, but allowed at XXX.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Key phrase here is same day, not 24 hours. I am assuming you were denied access at ORD, but allowed at XXX.
No, it works if within 24 hours of Polaris itinerary. (edit: although there are reports of SFO being finicky.)

I suspect there is a typo or time zone quirk in Hipplewm's reporting of '10:30' no / '10:01am' yes.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
No, it works if within 24 hours of Polaris itinerary. (edit: although there are reports of SFO being finicky.)

I suspect there is a typo or time zone quirk in Hipplewm's reporting of '10:30' no / '10:01am' yes.
10:30 pm the Day before
10:01 am the Day of

What was not tested:

9:59 am the Day of (which would test the 24-hour versus same-day theory)
Old Jul 19, 18, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Seperate PNR's
Day 2, I was flying XXX-Int'l on Polaris, but
the flight left XXX at 10am, but the polaris flight left at 5pm, but i had checked in for both flights

I went by the Polaris lounge at 10:30 to see if I could get in - no dice (I told the attendants what I was doing)

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
10:30 pm the Day before
10:01 am the Day of

What was not tested:

9:59 am the Day of (which would test the 24-hour versus same-day theory)
'XXX-Int'l' had a segment at 10a from XXX-??? on the day of, which conflicts with the theory that '10:01 am' is on the day of, no?
Old Jul 19, 18, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
'XXX-Int'l' had a segment at 10a from XXX-??? on the day of, which conflicts with the theory that '10:01 am' is on the day of, no?
Hmm, a fair point, as the Polaris flight was at 5 pm. I guess not sure why 10:01 am was an important timepoint (maybe that's when Polaris opens).

Search this Thread