Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:38 am
hch

Originally Posted by jsloan
If MUC-SFO is on LH, then there is no United Club access at SFO, unless OP is *G (either through UA or through another program). SFO-HNL does not include lounge access.
Indeed, connecting lounge access isn't included in the Star Alliance rules.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 747FC like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks all. I am flying on UA, so good to go!
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hch
Indeed, connecting lounge access isn't included in the Star Alliance rules.
It is if you're *G. But not if access is based on class of service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is if you're *G. But not if access is based on class of service.
It is connecting OR arrival if you're united gold using a UC lounge

Otherwise if you're nonUA star gold or UA gold accessing nonUC lounge, it's still based on departing flight on *alliance. Aka *alliance rules is departure only, UA just has exceptions for their elites using UC lounge

​​​​​​
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
It is connecting OR arrival if you're united gold using a UC lounge

Otherwise if you're nonUA star gold or UA gold accessing nonUC lounge, it's still based on departing flight on *alliance. Aka *alliance rules is departure only, UA just has exceptions for their elites using UC lounge

​​​​​​
That's not a *A rule. The comment was directed to lounge access under *A rules, not the UA expanded access for its own elites.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jsloan
If MUC-SFO is on LH, then there is no United Club access at SFO, unless OP is *G (either through UA or through another program). SFO-HNL does not include lounge access.
Just a clarification here: The original question was not whether UC access was available, but whether the Polaris Lounge would be available prior to the onward domestic journey.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Hello my husband is coming back this Sat from Japan. He is flying ANA but bought his ticket through United. I understand that if he is flying A* metal he won't get access to the Polaris lounge at ORD but does that include flights marketed by United? Will he have access to the United Club if not Polaris?
Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Hello my husband is coming back this Sat from Japan. He is flying ANA but bought his ticket through United. I understand that if he is flying A* metal he won't get access to the Polaris lounge at ORD but does that include flights marketed by United?
No. Polaris on arrival only if flying UA metal.

He'll have a much better inflight experience with NH :-)

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Will he have access to the United Club if not Polaris?
Only if he's Star Alliance Gold.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No. Polaris on arrival only if flying UA metal.

He'll have a much better inflight experience with NH :-)

Only if he's Star Alliance Gold.
oh OK bummer he has a 4 hr layover ugh. Let's see what he can do
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Since I didn't see a consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access" thread in lieu of this one:

If I have a qualifying transoceanic flight on United metal, say, Newark to London on one ticket, but a separate cash ticket of LAX to Newark that same day, would I still get Polaris lounge access on account of the Newark to London flight? Or do they have to be on the same eTicket/Itinerary? (Asking as last-minute transoceanic premium cabin awards don't always come with domestic connection opportunities at the Saver level, particularly in summer)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2023 at 3:09 pm Reason: moved to PL access thread
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Since I didn't see a consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access" thread in lieu of this one:

If I have a qualifying transoceanic flight on United metal, say, Newark to London on one ticket, but a separate cash ticket of LAX to Newark that same day, would I still get Polaris lounge access on account of the Newark to London flight? Or do they have to be on the same eTicket/Itinerary? (Asking as last-minute transoceanic premium cabin awards don't always come with domestic connection opportunities at the Saver level, particularly in summer)
If LAX-EWR is on United, yes, you do get PL same-day access at LAX. You'll need to scan the EWR-LHR BP at LAX PL for access.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2023 at 3:09 pm Reason: cleanup after merge, thanks for the link
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
United / Star / Polaris Lounge Access

Question (1) I am flying Houston to Athens via London. Houston London is in Polaris. London Athens is economy on Agean. Do I have any lounge access in London? One ticket purchased on United.com.
Question (2) I am flying Munich Chicago on United in Polaris. In Chicago I transfer to Houston on United metal - first. Do I have Polaris lounge access in Chicago? (from what I have read in this forum, I am assuming I do - just want to confirm.
Thanks . . . and I am new to this forum so I hope I posted this in the correct place in compliance with all of the rules..
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by clipper.fortune
Question (1) I am flying Houston to Athens via London. Houston London is in Polaris. London Athens is economy on Agean. Do I have any lounge access in London? One ticket purchased on United.com.
Question (2) I am flying Munich Chicago on United in Polaris. In Chicago I transfer to Houston on United metal - first. Do I have Polaris lounge access in Chicago? (from what I have read in this forum, I am assuming I do - just want to confirm.
Thanks . . . and I am new to this forum so I hope I posted this in the correct place in compliance with all of the rules..
If arriving on UA metal you will have access to arrivals lounge if you choose to exit prior to your Agean flight; otherwise if standard transfer you should have access to United Club (which is quite nice); if you are Star Alliance gold you can also check out Singapore, Air Canada or Lufthansa lounges.

on your return, if arriving in UA metal, you will have access to Polaris in Chicago prior to Houston flight.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by clipper.fortune
Yes you have access to ORD Polaris lounge. You also have access to IAH Polaris lounge too, should you choose to use upon your arrival.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
Thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.