Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: ba silver
Would I get acces connecting from Ua Polaris to non Polaris flight would I have access?

My case would be FRA-EWR-YUL all in Business class. Would I have access in EWR?

If the TATL flight was on say LH but the flight from EWR to YUL was on UA would I have access ( especially if the ticket was issued on 016 stock ) ?

I added the 016 part as I was once given acces on an inbound AC J flight to domestic UA F and was given access when the agent at the door said it was a UA issued ticket if it had been another airline's ticket I wouldn't be allowed.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Would I get acces connecting from Ua Polaris to non Polaris flight would I have access?

My case would be FRA-EWR-YUL all in Business class. Would I have access in EWR?

If the TATL flight was on say LH but the flight from EWR to YUL was on UA would I have access ( especially if the ticket was issued on 016 stock ) ?

I added the 016 part as I was once given acces on an inbound AC J flight to domestic UA F and was given access when the agent at the door said it was a UA issued ticket if it had been another airline's ticket I wouldn't be allowed.
If FRA-EWR is UA operated, yes access. Otherwise no access.

The AC J experience was an anomaly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by fumje
If FRA-EWR is UA operated, yes access. Otherwise no access.

The AC J experience was an anomaly.
Thanks!

That's what I thought. I will choose my flights carefully. The only choice I have to make is between UA J and LH J.

For the AC experience I think what played in my favour is that was supposed to be flying UA metal and got rerouted on AC. Club agents on any airline tend to be very liberal in these situations. I remember once having a UA flight cancelled and being rebooked on AA; the UA agent said I was still welcome to use any UA club at that airport.

I am curious though. If lounge access is allowed based on a same day connection what happens if there are IROPs or you give up your seat during overbooking and you are rebooked the following day?

Last edited by stevendorechester; Aug 19, 2023 at 6:55 pm
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
I am curious though. If lounge access is allowed based on a same day connection what happens if there are IROPs or you give up your seat during overbooking and you are rebooked the following day?
Should be able to at least get into one of the EWR UCs if flying EWR-YUL in J the following day.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two separate PNRs? that was the OPs case.

Should never need the domestic BP as PL access is included on the UA operated arrival.
Thanks. Scanned my arrival BP and had no issue with access. Didn't even need to show onward BP (which is on a separate PNR).

So can confirm that no issue with access on arrival.

Update: Since my flight is leaving from terminal A, I was able to scan by international BP from earlier today at the UC. The gates opened automatically without issue.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by SP03; Aug 21, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by autobahnal
Wanted to share this experience with having an overnight layover in the middle of a trip. I was uncertain about Polaris lounge access going in, based on reports earlier in this thread and the fact that it would entail what is technically not "same-day access".

Turns out I had no trouble accessing the Polaris lounge throughout my entire journey. I was on UA28 SIN-SFO, arrived at 930pm, had an overnight layover, then SFO-ORD-BWI the next day, and had no trouble accessing the lounge in both SFO and ORD the next day. None of the domestic boarding passes said "INTL" on them, but instead the access seemed to be tied to my PNR.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Thanks for posting this. Was this a single ticket from SIN to BWI?
Yep, all one ticket (same PNR), in this case BWI-SYD & SIN-BWI

Was just coming to share the same experience I had this week. LHR->IAD, overnight layover, IAD->DAY the next morning.

I went to the United Club and scanned my IAD->DAY boarding pass. Agent looked at her screen at the UC advised I had access to Polaris Lounge "as it was within 24 hours". Note: This was unprompted, without me even asking, so kudos to her for being proactive about it. Went across the hall to PL and had no issue gaining access with my domestic BP.

All one ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 2:06 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Another interesting data point that I hadn't encountered before -- and another way in which the language of "same day access" is quite misleading.

I was traveling MEL-SFO-EWR, all on the same calendar day, but two different tickets. One was MEL-SFO, second was SFO-EWR. Had no trouble accessing SFO PL on arrival with the first ticket. Yet when I arrived in EWR and tried to access the EWR PL I was refused entry (using both tickets), even though it was technically the same day as a Polaris flight. They said it's because EWR was not part of the Polaris itinerary, and so the same-day part didn't matter.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...They said it's because EWR was not part of the Polaris itinerary, and so the same-day part didn't matter.
I think it's reasonable that Polaris access be associated with flights on one itinerary which includes the Polaris flight. For example, one could be arriving Polaris SFO and then have separate Basic Economy ticket to Houston (maybe to avoid significantly higher single-ticket price). Probably a stretch to say such a move should be rewarded w/ PL access at the airport at the other end of the BE ticket.. Still, I think PL lounge access in such cases varies w/ agent (i.e. access at airports not on actual Polaris itinerary).
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think it's reasonable that Polaris access be associated with flights on one itinerary which includes the Polaris flight. For example, one could be arriving Polaris SFO and then have separate Basic Economy ticket to Houston (maybe to avoid significantly higher single-ticket price). Probably a stretch to say such a move should be rewarded w/ PL access at the airport at the other end of the BE ticket.. Still, I think PL lounge access in such cases varies w/ agent (i.e. access at airports not on actual Polaris itinerary).
It does seem like a YMMV situation, and I agree with you it's reasonable to not allow it.

Either way, it seems like all the more reason to get rid of the "same day access" language and just say PL access is tied to your reservation and that's it.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It does seem like a YMMV situation, and I agree with you it's reasonable to not allow it.

Either way, it seems like all the more reason to get rid of the "same day access" language and just say PL access is tied to your reservation and that's it.
I assume the same day access language is there to avoid the confusion with "access on arrival' since most flights arrive through customs and immingration and only those with onward flights can get back into the terminal.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I think a committee of FT members could sit with UA, find out what they want to have as policy, and let us write the words. We could even toss various outlier scenarios at UA to make sure they really know what they want for a policy.
jsloan and JimInOhio like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, I think a committee of FT members could sit with UA, find out what they want to have as policy, and let us write the words. We could even toss various outlier scenarios at UA to make sure they really know what they want for a policy.
I realize I'm weird BUT: That honestly sounds like a ton of fun to me. Maybe throw in a free tour of Willis Tower offices.
United747 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:32 pm

Question - I'm flying Polaris from IAD to HND next month. I don't have Star Alliance Gold.
Am I correct in thinking that there is only one arrival lounge I'm eligible to use (ANA Arrival Lounge at Haneda)? And, since the website currently says that the ANA Arrival Lounge is temporarily closed, that means I won't be able to access any lounge upon arrival?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lostdog3
Question - I'm flying Polaris from IAD to HND next month. I don't have Star Alliance Gold.
Am I correct in thinking that there is only one arrival lounge I'm eligible to use (ANA Arrival Lounge at Haneda)? And, since the website currently says that the ANA Arrival Lounge is temporarily closed, that means I won't be able to access any lounge upon arrival?

Thanks for the help.
Correct. No lounge, for multiple reasons (closed, not for Polaris customers, not for *G status). Most arrivals from U.S. get in afternoon, so hotel check-in is already available, anyway. Arrival lounges are open usually for morning arrival flights - before hotels are ready for check-in (similar to LHR arrivals lounge and UA’s former SFO arrivals lounge).
narvik likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 22, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by lostdog3
It's closed and only passengers on NH operated flight are eligible for access. UA Polaris or *G would not apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.