Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
Funny, I have never been rejected at EWR but several times at IAD for violating the ever-expanding requirements which I am hearing now as: same calendar day and same itinerary. At EWR they look at the BP, try scanning it and when it does not work say "Like we would not welcome you Mr uanj after your international flight, please come in and enjoy." Honestly a bit surprising. I can fly from Asia to the US to Europe or vv within a 48 hour period so which international leg owns which connecting domestic flights is always a bit of a mystery to me.

At IAD the conversation goes like this: "you're flying to EWR and connecting to Europe. But the leg to EWR is the connection from yesterday's flight from HND so you can't come in, it's completely against the rules." No finesse in handling it whatsoever but I'm a big boy. Hardly the worst news I can get in a day.

Well, a good travel agent can issue the ticket this way, and maybe you can do it on united.com as well as multiple cities. I know everyone has their preferences, but after international travel a Polaris lounge is about the last place I want to be.
I want your EWR agents. As an aside from the separate PNR thing: I've also been shut out at EWR after my previous-day flight went mx and cancelled, and I got shunted to O for next day (J was full, so O was all the agent could do along with waitlisting). They made me wait until I cleared back into J to let me in the lounge. I hoped for and half-expected an exception, but it didn't happen.

Haven't occasioned to try at IAD, so can't compare on that.

Originally Posted by st530
How long ago was this? Most of the “separate PNR” refusals seem to be relatively recent.
I've had separate-PNR acceptance this year and separate-PNR refusal this year. Also, both last year.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
How long ago was this? Most of the “separate PNR” refusals seem to be relatively recent.
this was February this year. Scanner will deny access (obviously) but agents could manually override it and make a note of the downline eligible PNR in the system.

maybe something has changed recently but i think it's just that some (or most?) agents sometimes make up arbitrary rules (i.e lies) and are too lazy to dig through the footnotes/exceptions in Wingtips.

this is similar to accessing UC/PL the day before intl (if gold+)/Polaris departure - as long as you have an eligible BP, agents can override it and document it as an exception. Wingtips explicitly lists out this exception but most agents are unaware/unwilling to look it up. This is as of July this year
st530 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
FAQ is unclear. If I fly LIM-EWR-Canada, with EWR-Canada on AC, will I get Polaris lounge access at EWR? I know I would if connector is on UA, but this is (1) on AC and (2) the day after LIM-EWR flight (which departs 11pm the previous day).
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by marks88
FAQ is unclear. If I fly LIM-EWR-Canada, with EWR-Canada on AC, will I get Polaris lounge access at EWR? I know I would if connector is on UA, but this is (1) on AC and (2) the day after LIM-EWR flight (which departs 11pm the previous day).
UA Polaris flight allows for departing and arriving access. On your day of arrival in EWR you have access to the Polaris lounge, irrespective of your connecting flight
Steve M, SPN Lifer and marks88 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
So to complete a discussion I began a few posts upthread, I was denied access at EWR after flying overnight GRU-IAH then IAH-EWR on a separate itinerary.
The exchange went roughly like this:
I scanned my GRU-IAH BP; it beeped green so I thought I was in the clear. Agent looked quizzically at her screen and said “It says no access. Do you have a Newark boarding pass?”
I then scanned IAH-EWR (knowing that would be pointless). The agent then spent a minute or two punching around the keyboard, and eventually printed my IAH-EWR BP and said “You have access to United Club. If you flew GRU-EWR you would have access like you had access in Houston.”
I then said (half heartedly) “I thought the rule was access at all points along the same day itinerary” and showed my Apple wallet (which helpfully had stored both BPs as if they were the same itinerary).
The agent then asked if I had separate tickets, and while I fumbled through my phone she said “It looks like it’s separate tickets. But you can go the United Club”.
All very professional and apologetic. Seems like this may be a YMMV situation in terms of override, but the computer clearly says nay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So to complete a discussion I began a few posts upthread, I was denied access at EWR after flying overnight GRU-IAH then IAH-EWR on a separate itinerary.
o.k., that makes sense. Allowed at IAH but denied at EWR? IAH should have been a no-brainer (Polaris arrival) ... and EWR would have been off-the-books.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., that makes sense. Allowed at IAH but denied at EWR? IAH should have been a no-brainer (Polaris arrival) ... and EWR would have been off-the-books.
That’s the way it should be, IMHO.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Arguably not a no-brainer since airside (and therefore PL) access was based on a separate, non-Polaris itinerary.

Last edited by st530; Sep 16, 2023 at 2:10 pm
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:06 pm

Polaris access at IAD

Flying Air Canada to Copenhagen in Business P. IAD->YYZ->CPH. Will this get me access to Polaris lounge at IAD?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by TravelwKids
Flying Air Canada to Copenhagen in Business P. IAD->YYZ->CPH. Will this get me access to Polaris lounge at IAD?
No
VRFast and TravelwKids like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No, but you will get AC Signature Suite lounge access at YYZ, more exclusive than Polaris lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arguably not a no-brainer since airside (and therefore PL) access was based on a separate, non-Polaris itinerary.
That is within rules. OP could have been on a DL flight out of IAH ... Arriving Polaris ... that's all that is needed.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
No, but you will get AC Signature Suite lounge access at YYZ, more exclusive than Polaris lounge.
Agreed, Signature Suite in YYZ is better than Polaris. I hope the OP booked a LONG connection in YYZ, not only to enjoy the lounge, but to buffer the inevitable delays ... US East Coast to YYZ is extremely delay-prone
SPN Lifer and econ like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:26 pm

That is within rules. OP could have been on a DL flight out of IAH ... Arriving Polaris ... that's all that is needed.

Agreed, Signature Suite in YYZ is better than Polaris. I hope the OP booked a LONG connection in YYZ, not only to enjoy the lounge, but to buffer the inevitable delays ... US East Coast to YYZ is extremely delay-prone
Thanks all for the reply. We had a very pleasant experience at IAD Polaris last year. Was hoping to use it again - oh well. Over 3 hrs of layover in YYZ - hopefully be sufficient time

Lastly, does it matter the ticket was booked with united and shows united flight number but operated by AC?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you flew GRU-EWR you would have access like you had access in Houston.”
I then said (half heartedly) “I thought the rule was access at all points along the same day itinerary” and showed my Apple wallet (which helpfully had stored both BPs as if they were the same itinerary).
The agent then asked if I had separate tickets, and while I fumbled through my phone she said “It looks like it’s separate tickets. But you can go the United Club”
I am in agreement with the policy but the reasoning seems a bit unclear to me. Aren't agents able to link separate tickets? What would've happened if you asked an agent at the IAH PL to link your PNRs. Curious if this has anything to do with an earlier post about your domestic BP saying "INTL" on it. I've had agents at the IAD UC do this for me when arriving on LH and connecting on a separate UA ticket
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Lastly, does it matter the ticket was booked with united and shows united flight number but operated by AC?
No. The most important criteria here is you have a paid business class fare in P, which grants entrance into the SSL.

Every patron in the lounge is flying Air Canada, as opposed to Polaris lounge includes long haul partner flight patrons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.