Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
So no access on a UA ticket on ANA metal in J arriving in SFO and connecting on united domestic first class? Bummer.
You would have access to PL in the other direction at SFO if you are on ANA metal.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by st530
How long ago was this? Most of the “separate PNR” refusals seem to be relatively recent.
Originally Posted by leftysauce
this was February this year. Scanner will deny access (obviously) but agents could manually override it and make a note of the downline eligible PNR in the system.
Originally Posted by st530
Seems like this may be a YMMV situation in terms of override, but the computer clearly says nay.
Possible the issues are unique to arrival only (and especially so at EWR which seems to be particularly tough). I had no trouble in October '23 accessing PL outbound with separate tickets IAH-SFO and SFO-LHR at IAH. I initially scanned SFO-LHR at IAH and agent was perplexed, but I said I have a separate ticket connecting flight and she immediately smiled and started he process of getting me in.

Originally Posted by MileTrek
Aren't agents able to link separate tickets?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, no such mechanism exists (other then to interline bads)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Exactly. So-called "linking" is merely an annotation by an agent in the Remarks (REM) field with the other passenger name record (PNR) record locator (confirmation number). There is nothing automatic about it, and the REM will only be seen if another agent looks at the PNR manually, such as during IRROPS.
The two PNRs are not and cannot be combined.
Agree they can't be combined in any meaningful way however in the scenario I described above, the agent took both of my boarding passes and PNRs, typed around, and then handed me back the passes and told me to scan the Polaris pass again and this time the computer accepted it without issue. So it may be possible for a PL agent to "link" them such that a scan at a later point would not present any issues or need a manual override.

Originally Posted by uanj
Yes, if you have a same day connection on the same reservation (EWR-IAD).
Need not be same reservation for the outbound (originating, connecting) all reports seem to be for the second arrival airport. (And highly concentrated at EWR)

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I think what is meant is that all segments must be on same PNR to gain access at further airports.
Originally Posted by nomad420
OK, so access was easily granted to friend who was flying economy plus SFO-EWR but was flying Polaris class to Rome, all ticketed on the same PNR. I suspect it would’ve been an issue had she booked on separate PNR’s.
For further airports, it seems yes. For your friend my experience indicates access would have been granted at SFO even if SFO is separate ticket (and same day).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:48 am

I will be travelling EWR-OSL-LHR in "SAS Business Smart” in March. I wondered if accessing the Polaris lounge would work at EWR? I’m pretty sure I have access but would I need to drop bags at Terminal B, transfer to Terminal A for TSA & the lounge, and then transfer to Terminal B again via the shuttle bus when I’m done in the lounge? I know there’s a SAS lounge at EWR but it really doesn’t compare to the Polaris offering considering I’m looking to eat a decent meal before my red-eye.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by cniekirk
I will be travelling EWR-OSL-LHR in "SAS Business Smart” in March. I wondered if accessing the Polaris lounge would work at EWR? I’m pretty sure I have access but would I need to drop bags at Terminal B, transfer to Terminal A for TSA & the lounge, and then transfer to Terminal B again via the shuttle bus? I know there’s a SAS lounge at EWR but it really doesn’t compare to the Polaris offering considering I’m looking to eat a decent meal before my red-eye.
yes, you can access the Polaris lounge. however it’s in terminal C, so you’d have to transfer there after dropping off your bags at B, since SAS doesn’t have check in counters at C
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
yes, you can access the Polaris lounge. however it’s in terminal C, so you’d have to transfer there after dropping off your bags at B, since SAS doesn’t have check in counters at C
Thanks for confirming that! Sorry yes I meant C not A, my bad!
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by cniekirk
Thanks for confirming that! Sorry yes I meant C not A, my bad!
Hopefully SAS will not have left Star Alliance by then
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by gusd
Hopefully SAS will not have left Star Alliance by then
Not by March.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:55 am

Have a question.

I am flying out on the same day the flight is Newark to Montreal and then Montreal to Istanbul. Newark to Montreal is Air Canada, and Montreal to Istanbul is Turkish Airlines.

Is a single ticket booked with Air Canada (via aeroplan) - would I have access to Polaris if Montreal to Istanbul is in business class? And the Newark flight to Montreal is in economy if that impacts anything (was a mixed class points booking)

Or would this be denied on the basis that the originating flight is not the “long haul flight” even though it is all one booking?

Tried reading the faq but wasn’t clear - thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by wazza10000
I am flying out on the same day the flight is Newark to Montreal and then Montreal to Istanbul. Newark to Montreal is Air Canada, and Montreal to Istanbul is Turkish Airlines.

Is a single ticket booked with Air Canada (via aeroplan) - would I have access to Polaris if Montreal to Istanbul is in business class? And the Newark flight to Montreal is in economy if that impacts anything (was a mixed class points booking)

Or would this be denied on the basis that the originating flight is not the “long haul flight” even though it is all one booking?

Tried reading the faq but wasn’t clear - thanks in advance.
I think the wiki is pretty clear, under longhaul *A flights:
You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
Your longhaul YUL-IST is not departing out of EWR, so you don't have access to the Polaris lounge.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Kmxu and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Just wanted to confirm Polaris access on both the following internaries:

SFO-EWR-DEL... The SFO is a red eye to EWR and then later (much later) that day the flight leaves for DEL. Is SFO going to give me push back for using Polaris by arguing my long haul qualifying fight is the next day? The red eye lands the next morning obviously, on the same day as my DEL fight and thus, at least with AA, this is never an issue to get access (before the red eye).

SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL- I found this option as an alternative b/c the SFO-IAH flight leaves at 12:37am meaning it is on the same day of the long haul. I was going to book this as a way to get SFO Polaris access should the above one not allow it. Although I really have no desire to do the extra flight nor do I particulary like the IAH Polaris lounge as its by far my least favorite.

I am assuming both of these would allow access at SFO but just wanted to confirm, especially the first one where the red eye is technically the day before.

Had agents at QF F try to deny access on a red eye to JFK to catch a long haul F to LHR although UA lounge agents seem more competent so I am guessing no issues..

Thanks

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Nov 6, 2023 at 11:59 pm Reason: change JFK to EWR
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000

SFO-JFK-DEL... The SFO is a red eye to JFK and then later (much later) that day the flight leaves for DEL. Is SFO going to give me push back for using Polaris by arguing my long haul qualifying fight is the next day? The red eye lands the next morning obviously, on the same day as my DEL fight and thus, at least with AA, this is never an issue to get access (before the red eye).

SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL- I found this option as an alternative b/c the SFO-IAH flight leaves at 12:37am meaning it is on the same day of the long haul. I was going to book this as a way to get SFO Polaris access should the above one not allow it. Although I really have no desire to do the extra flight nor do I particulary like the IAH Polaris lounge as its by far my least favorite.

I am assuming both of these would allow access at SFO but just wanted to confirm, especially the first one where the red eye is technically the day before.

Thanks
SFO-JFK-DEL: no access at SFO; no UA ops at JFK
SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL: assuming the long haul is operated by UA, then yes.

There is no PL access on the first one because on partner flights, only access is on the longhaul departure point - UA does not operate any flight segments on the first itinerary.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000

SFO-JFK-DEL...

SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL-
Did you mean SFO-EWR-DEL? If SFO-JFK-DEL, it is definitely no. United does not fly either SFO-JFK or JFK-DEL.
The extra leg for SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL should allow you access to PL at SFO, IAH and EWR (EWR-DEL on UA metal).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
SFO-JFK-DEL: no access at SFO; no UA ops at JFK
SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL: assuming the long haul is operated by UA, then yes.

There is no PL access on the first one because on partner flights, only access is on the longhaul departure point - UA does not operate any flight segments on the first itinerary.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did you mean SFO-EWR-DEL? If SFO-JFK-DEL, it is definitely no. United does not fly either SFO-JFK or JFK-DEL.
The extra leg for SFO-IAH-EWR-DEL should allow you access to PL at SFO, IAH and EWR (EWR-DEL on UA metal).
So sorry, my bad. Too much AA flying to JFK.

Where I wrote JFK I meant EWR.

All my flights are on UA metal.

My concern was some agent saying your qualifying flight is the next day from EWR you can’t access the Polaris at SFO before the red eye. If the SFO-EWR flight actually arrived a true day before the long haul I understand I would not get in at SFO but w the red eye I believe I will.

The IAH option with the flight leaving SFO after midnight wound then have them all be on the true same day although I really just care about the SFO Polaris and not IAH and would prefer option 1.

Sorry again meant to say EWR.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Nov 6, 2023 at 11:57 pm
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: I wish :'(
Do I have access on arrival with a connecting flight, *if the second flight is on a different PNR*?

Flying BRU-EWR on UA metal as a J award ticket, but have a second positioning flight to YYZ via UA. These two aren't linked at all, would I still have Polaris access on arrival, since I can get airside?

(and for curiosity, if it was *A via AC, or Porter/Delta/non-*A, would this still work?)
Old Nov 7, 2023, 3:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Do I have access on arrival with a connecting flight, *if the second flight is on a different PNR*?

Flying BRU-EWR on UA metal as a J award ticket, but have a second positioning flight to YYZ via UA. These two aren't linked at all, would I still have Polaris access on arrival, since I can get airside? ...
Yes

Originally Posted by yitianjian
(and for curiosity, if it was *A via AC, or Porter/Delta/non-*A, would this still work?)
If the arriving flight is UA in Polaris cabin and you have airside access (no matter how), yes
yitianjian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.