Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Doesn't Canada *G or front cabin still get access?
Not to Polaris. The discussion here is getting confused by interjection of UC access into the Polaris lounge thread.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to Polaris. The discussion here is getting confused by interjection of UC access into the Polaris lounge thread.
Oh right. 🤦‍♀️ Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:37 pm

1am IAH-TPE EVA flight, can I get into Polaris day before?

I have an EVA Air business flight IAH-TPE at 1am. Would I be allowed into the Polaris Lounge the day before, such as at 6pm? I read the United policy is “same day” access as boarding pass. Star Alliance Gold policy says day before if your flight is at 5am or earlier. I’m new to this and unsure of everything.

The Polaris Lounge closes at 9pm but I would go earlier since I've never seen Polaris before. I found some other lounge I have entry to that is open til midnight, so I figured going there after Polaris closes might be a plan. If I can get into Polaris at all! Thanks for reading.

Last edited by mdk187; Feb 26, 2024 at 7:44 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by mdk187
IThe Polaris Lounge closes at 9pm but I would go earlier since I've never seen Polaris before. I found some other lounge I have entry to that is open til midnight, so I figured going there after Polaris closes might be a plan. If I can get into Polaris at all! Thanks for reading.
Are you booked in Star Allianxe business? That’s key for Polaris access. Star Gold doesn’t cut it. (edited to say I see you’re in Eva business. No reason you shouldn’t be allowed access within 24 hours - they’re not gonna make someone on a 1a flight wait until 12a for access)

That said when I was there three weeks ago lounge was open until 10 if that helps you. Sadly I find IAH Polaris is the weakest in the system but still beats waiting in the terminal!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I have an EVA Air business flight IAH-TPE at 1am. Would I be allowed into the Polaris Lounge the day before, such as at 6pm? I read the United policy is “same day” access as boarding pass. Star Alliance Gold policy says day before if your flight is at 5am or earlier. I’m new to this and unsure of everything.

The Polaris Lounge closes at 9pm but I would go earlier since I've never seen Polaris before. I found some other lounge I have entry to that is open til midnight, so I figured going there after Polaris closes might be a plan. If I can get into Polaris at all! Thanks for reading.
Will you have boarding pass on your hand at 6 pm? You won’t be able to get through security without one.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thanks ironmanjt and Kmxu!

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Will you have boarding pass on your hand at 6 pm? You won’t be able to get through security without one.
It’s been a few years since I’ve flown international. Are hard paper passes still required, all the time? I’ll definitely take this into consideration. I’m used to being paperless when flying.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks ironmanjt and Kmxu!

It’s been a few years since I’ve flown international. Are hard paper passes still required, all the time? I’ll definitely take this into consideration. I’m used to being paperless when flying.
Boarding pass on your phone will work. If you have checkin bag(s), checkin counter for SQ at IAH may be not open this early. If you connect from another airport, this won’t be an issue.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Boarding pass on your phone will work. If you have checkin bag(s), checkin counter for SQ at IAH may be not open this early. If you connect from another airport, this won’t be an issue.
OP is flying on BR, so it's possible that check-in desks open well after Polaris lounge is closed, if they need to check bags.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:24 pm

Flying Delhi-Newark-Fort Lauderdale on business class, award ticket, US citizen (but no GE or TSA Pre), no checked bags.
Flight starts DEL at 11:55 PM on Monday and arrives EWR at 6:20 AM Tuesday.
The EWR-FLL flight is at 10:11 AM; the latter flight has been starting from A gates recently.

I assume I can use the Polaris lounge at EWR (even though the flight technically departed the prior day).
I know I can use the United Club in terminal A, but the reason for wanting Polaris lounge is the shower facility (after a long trip from Delhi).

I have asked for a wheelchair because of re-aggravating an injury recently - can't stand in long lines, but can walk slowly.
How much time should I allocate to go to terminal A from the EWR Polaris lounge, and how easy / difficult is it?
Or, should I just forget the shower and try to get to terminal A (unless I get lucky and the FLL flight leaves from Terminal C).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by raghu
Flying Delhi-Newark-Fort Lauderdale on business class, award ticket, US citizen (but no GE or TSA Pre), no checked bags.
The EWR-FLL flight is at 10:11 AM; the latter flight has been starting from A gates recently.

How much time should I allocate to go to terminal A from the EWR Polaris lounge, and how easy / difficult is it?
Or, should I just forget the shower and try to get to terminal A (unless I get lucky and the FLL flight leaves from Terminal C).
Early morning international flights usually arrive at Terminal B. So you would have to go from Terminal B to C to use the Polaris lounge. And potentially to Terminal A if your next flight departs out of there. I can't say if 4h is sufficient with mobility restrictions but you need to factor in time for immigration, baggage claim if any, transfer B to C, re-clear security, and potential transfer C to A.

Maybe better to ask in this thread: Consolidated EWR connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You can access Polaris Lounge based on Polaris arrival. A wheelchair and Terminal A provide complications. Polaris Lounge is located in Terminal C and the airside connection to A is a bus. Maybe someone else has insight on wheelchair transfer between C and A airside.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raghu

I assume I can use the Polaris lounge at EWR (even though the flight technically departed the prior day).
I know I can use the United Club in terminal A, but the reason for wanting Polaris lounge is the shower facility (after a long trip from Delhi).

I have asked for a wheelchair because of re-aggravating an injury recently - can't stand in long lines, but can walk slowly.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes, you can use the PL at EWR on that ticket.

For myself, fortunately able to walk easily and fairly quickly, I give 20-25 minutes to go from C to some A gate using the bus at gate C71. I don't have experience going slowly or using a wheelchair, but I think it would be safe to allow 50 minutes for yourself. The distance from the PL to the bus is not that long, but A terminal is quite sprawling, so depending on gate assignment that may be the more significant distance.

A tip for CBP, try the mobile passport app. Sometimes they don't bother with it at EWR, and in the morning at that time CBP is usually not too busy, but it can sometimes be a big time-saver. You can submit the mobile entry and then go through the regular way if it's not needed.

And another tip, double-check your gate assignment when you arrive at EWR! It can be pretty random which terminal is used, such as one day from A, next day same flight / same aircraft type from C.

Overall, I think you have enough time to take a shower.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
A bit of an edge case: arriving into EWR on a domestic flight and have a NH F flight departing from JFK several hours later. Wondering if I have a case for access to the EWR PL using my NH F BP and by virtue of EWR and JFK being NYC co-terminals. Anyone have experience in this exact scenario, or care to offer their opinions or speculation? Either way, assuming I travel as currently planned, I will plan to stop by and seek entry, in the name of research. I will have the regular UC as a fallback.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
A bit of an edge case.....
That's not an edge case,. IMO, that case has already fallen off the cliff!
uanj, choch345, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post # 568)
Wondering if I have a case for access to the EWR PL using my NH F BP and by virtue of EWR and JFK being NYC co-terminals. Anyone have experience in this exact scenario, or care to offer their opinions or speculation?
Unless you can find somewhere in writing that co-terminals are considered the same departure airport for lounge access, the answer is likely to be "No."

Enjoy the United Club, and please keep us posted.
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.