Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 13, 19, 5:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: gengar
Wiki Link
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules.
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agent's use same calendar day, can be different PNR)
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    *No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnel
    Active duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airport
    Maple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
This is be modified 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 17, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

If I have a 19 hour overnight connection, after an international flight on the same itinerary and I SDC to a flight the next day (19+24) will I still have lounge access? Do I have access on the original flight? I'm UA *G
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
If I have a 19 hour overnight connection, after an international flight on the same itinerary and I SDC to a flight the next day (19+24) will I still have lounge access? Do I have access on the original flight? I'm UA *G
Hard to know what the system will do but the policy requires a qualifying flight within 24 hours.
A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)
OR
A boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel within 24 hours on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)
Note the above is for UC access, *A lounges are just same day travel.

BTW, it is very difficult to do a true 24 hour SDC (in one change) -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-2016-a.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 17 at 6:53 pm Reason: policy different between UC vs *A lounges
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:35 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I have a question about this in the wiki (highlight mine): "UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport."

I have seen in this thread that if you're flying INT-USA1-USA2 in business/first, you get access at USA1, but what about originating airport? Does it matter if you're not in first on the domestic segment?

So, PHX-EWR-HAM, no gold, just silver. One ticket. PHX-EWR is in Y, and EWR-HAM is Polaris. Do we get access in PHX even though PHX is origination not connecting city and PHX-EWR leg is in Y? Many thanks.
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:48 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.8MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post
This may sound like a stupid question but is Mexico considered an international flight for lounge access purposes. I ask because my wife and I will be traveling through Denver on the 14th with our children and would like to use the club. I'm a UC member but my wife is *A Gold, so I was thinking we could each invite 2 guests. The reason I ask is we are using regional upgrades for the flight. Any input appreciated.
I learned something on this trip. Because my children were upgraded to first, using my RPU's they had access to the United Club even though they aren't Milage Plus members. Being on an international flight (to Mexico from DEN and EWR) with a first class ticket gets them into the United Club. I thought *A Gold was a requirement. I confirmed this with an agent in the Chicago United Club. I also learned that I wasn't allowed entrance into the new Polaris Club as my international flight wasn't over water so First Class to Mexico is not Polaris, at least from Boston to Puerta Vallarta.
Old Jan 10, 17, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post
Because my children were upgraded to first, using my RPU's they had access to the United Club even though they aren't Milage Plus members. Being on an international flight (to Mexico from DEN and EWR) with a first class ticket gets them into the United Club.
Correct. That's in the wiki (and of course the published rules on the UA website).
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
.... So, PHX-EWR-HAM, no gold, just silver. One ticket. PHX-EWR is in Y, and EWR-HAM is Polaris. Do we get access in PHX even though PHX is origination not connecting city and PHX-EWR leg is in Y? Many thanks.
Becuase of the EWR-HAM is in UA premium cabin, you will have access to UCs PHX & EWR.
Old Jan 11, 17, 10:26 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Becuase of the EWR-HAM is in UA premium cabin, you will have access to UCs PHX & EWR.
Good to know -- thank you very much.
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:43 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Krisflyer
Lounge access queries

Got a question about lounge access at SFO.

Will be traveling on a J award ticket on AC from YUL to SFO and depart out of SFO on a Y ticket.

like to check if will I have access to the UCs or even the other *a lounges at SFO.

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 15, 17, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by alastairloh View Post
Got a question about lounge access at SFO.

Will be traveling on a J award ticket on AC from YUL to SFO and depart out of SFO on a Y ticket.

like to check if will I have access to the UCs or even the other *a lounges at SFO.

Thanks guys!
If you are *G through SQ or another *A member then you can access the lounge in SFO as you're on an international ticket. There is a caveat here though: you must be on the same ticket as the one starting with AC in YUL. If you're on two separate tickets and SFO-xxx is a domestic US flight in "Y" class then you will not have lounge access, even as *G.

So, if same ticket and *G then yes. If not *G or on different tickets and SFO-XXX is domestic then no.

-RM
Old Jan 15, 17, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
If you are *G through SQ or another *A member then you can access the lounge in SFO as you're on an international ticket. There is a caveat here though: you must be on the same ticket as the one starting with AC in YUL. If you're on two separate tickets and SFO-xxx is a domestic US flight in "Y" class then you will not have lounge access, even as *G.

So, if same ticket and *G then yes. If not *G or on different tickets and SFO-XXX is domestic then no.

-RM
I had thought that *G (from non-UA carriers) had domestic access to lounges in any class of service. Per the *A web page:

"As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight."

Last edited by zrs70; Jan 15, 17 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 15, 17, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I had thought that *G (from non-UA carriers) had domestic access to lounges in any class of service.
Yes, but OP may not be *G. All we know is he/she is arriving in a premium cabin on a non-UA *A carrier.
Old Jan 15, 17, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The correct answer is "not unless you are star alliance gold."
Old Jan 20, 17, 3:39 pm

Lounge access with flying SFO-YYC

Hello,

I'll be flying AC (UA ticket) between SFO and YYC business class.

I know that for United when flying domestically even on business there is no lounge access, and when flying an international flight there is.

Does flying to Canada considered an international flight? Do we get lounge access with a business ticket?

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 17, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, Canada is international for UA rules. But if you're on AC metal then those are the rules that matter.

Some AC departures are on the "wrong" side of the international pier IIRC with no lounge present, but that might not be the case any more or for this flight.

Also, posting the same query in multiple fora is frowned upon.
Old Jan 20, 17, 3:47 pm

Thanks for clarifying that

I usually don't post questions in more than one forum, at this case (I'm always confused) didn't know if it was relevant to AC (metal) or UA (ticket issuer).

Search this Thread