Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

I flew LAX-LHR in GlobalFirst last weekend and used the First Class lounge before I left. Decent food/service there and an ample wine selection, although was disappointed by the lack of sweets (just the 2-count Milano packages that they have in the regular United Club were there); was expecting more in the way of cookies or cake or something.

But in any event, there were 12 people in the lounge for our 777 that had 12 F seats and I assumed we were all in the same cabin together. There were two gentlemen in the club who ate/drank up a storm...and were in the club for almost as long as me. When the LAX flight boarded, I was surprised to see them head back to their seats in Y (in the 30's row).

Which got me thinking --who were they? I thought the First Class lounge was only open to international first class passengers...but then I thought maybe they were Global Service members, but then I'd assume GS members could figure out a way up to at least Y+ if not J or F.

So who can use the lounge? And who were those men?
Old May 16, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I flew LAX-LHR in GlobalFirst last weekend and used the First Class lounge before I left. Decent food/service there and an ample wine selection, although was disappointed by the lack of sweets (just the 2-count Milano packages that they have in the regular United Club were there); was expecting more in the way of cookies or cake or something.

But in any event, there were 12 people in the lounge for our 777 that had 12 F seats and I assumed we were all in the same cabin together. There were two gentlemen in the club who ate/drank up a storm...and were in the club for almost as long as me. When the LAX flight boarded, I was surprised to see them head back to their seats in Y (in the 30's row).

Which got me thinking --who were they? I thought the First Class lounge was only open to international first class passengers...but then I thought maybe they were Global Service members, but then I'd assume GS members could figure out a way up to at least Y+ if not J or F.

So who can use the lounge? And who were those men?
Hi Weatherboy, Wxguy here

I used that lounge last week, after PVG-LAX in Global First, awaiting my connection to BOS. In general, admittance is limited to Global First passengers (either outgoing or awaiting a domestic connection from an inbound). In addition, p.s. F passengers may use the lounge.

GS are not supposed to be let in (unless using one of the above services), though there have been occasional exceptions made.

My guess is that the gentlemen who went back to Y were guested in by passengers who had a right to be there.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy
Hi Weatherboy, Wxguy here

My guess is that the gentlemen who went back to Y were guested in by passengers who had a right to be there.
They came in together and left together. The rest of us that were in the F lounge were in the cabin with me, with the exception of 2 F passengers that were on the plane that didn't use the lounge.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm flying lax-lhr next month Weatherboy. How was the new F?
Old May 16, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
BTW the "International 1st class lounge" does not exist. It is the "Global First" lounge.

There is a legit possibility. The two gentleman were arriving on a UA metal flight with GF or p.s. F BPs, and as such they get to use the GF lounge. When ever I've arrived in ORD, LAX, or IAD with a GF BP, I am always admitted.

The semi-legit possibility is that they purchased refundable GF on another flight or international F on another carrier to get into the lounge and refunded it before they left the lounge.

The illegit possibility is that they were friends of UA employees working the lounge or with authority over the lounge, based on the following.

I had a long layover in the ORD Global First lounge a couple weeks ago, and because I had a bunch of meetings, camped in the business center area which is right next to the reception desk.

It was an interesting experience, and can answer OP's question with an illegit possibility.

A trio of pax came in on one occasion, did not present BPs, and the receptionist said something to the effect: "We were told to expect you" and they were admitted.

Later another pax came in who obviously had no BP. He asked if a certain UA employee was around, was disappointed that it was to the contrary, and proceeded to leave after it was obvious the receptionist wasn't going to invite him in. It was also obvious that sometimes he does get admitted.

So in summary, friends of UA employees get in, some times, in addition to pax holding inbound and outbound GF BPs.

Last edited by mre5765; Jun 7, 2013 at 6:35 am Reason: off-topic content removed after thread move
Old May 17, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm flying lax-lhr next month Weatherboy. How was the new F?
I got stuck with the old F; the flight attendants on my California-LHR flights said they've been seeing the old 777 more and more on the LHR and SFO flights so you probably will be on an old 777 with the original F product too rather than the new First "Suite." CO's BusinessFirst seat (and overall product) is much, much, much, much better than UA's old international First Class product. On the bright side, UA issued $300 credit for each segment flown in the old 777.

But the lounge was nice. Empty, as I'd expected it to be only as full as the number of 777 F seats, but obviously not as nice as other carriers international lounges.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
In general, admittance is limited to Global First passengers (either outgoing or awaiting a domestic connection from an inbound).
Originally Posted by mre5765
..., in addition to pax holding inbound and outbound GF BPs.
Just to clarify for an upcoming "Global Fist" saver award trip with my wife. We have one PNR with the following:

OGG-LAX (Domestic F) then LAX-IAD (Global First but not international) and then IAD-ZRH (Global First international).

I was hoping while waiting for our connection in LAX and IAD we could use this "Global First Lounge", but are we really entitled (in LAX since we aren't really getting on the international Global First segment yet)?
Old May 17, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AZjohns
Just to clarify for an upcoming "Global Fist" saver award trip with my wife.
Yikes! I think I saw that move in Street Fighter 2.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Anyone traveling SAME day on an International flight in Global First OR travelling to JFK using P.S. service in First can use the FCL at LAX OR JFK

Even if you are flying in Y from LAX - SFO and connecting to a TPAC or TATL flight in F/A/O you can use the FCL. The LAX FCL is upstairs near gate 72 73 and well worth it. MUCH nicer the the UCLUB, good food and a premium self serve bar

It ain't the Silver Kris FCL BUT for UA it's very nice
Old May 17, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS
I have seen FAMs in the SFO Global First lounge a few times. Of course never drinking up a storm :-)
But I once in a while made ther same observation as the OP. There were people in the lounge that were Y or C passengers and for sure no FAMs.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I have seen FAMs in the SFO Global First lounge a few times. Of course never drinking up a storm :-)
But I once in a while made ther same observation as the OP. There were people in the lounge that were Y or C passengers and for sure no FAMs.
They "USED" to let me use the LAX FCL regardless of cabin I was flying but they told me it was a special case as I fly out of LAX a few times a month in F on PS flights (which gets admittance anyway) and PMUA appreciated my business and that was how the Station Mgr at LAX showed it to me (been flying out of there in F since 1995). It was a great perk. If going to Hawaii or just up to SFO they ALWAYS welcomed me ( and even my girl friend when flying on her own who used to live in L.A.). They extended this courtesy EVERY time for 17 years. I went up there on 3/4 on my way to IAD and was told "the party's over". The "New" mgmnt made it clear to the SD's up there that from now in they could NO LONGER use there discretion. What a way to run a business that's based on Customer Service!!! Or perhaps the lounge is really there for my safety

And before someone says that's how it should be, that I'm not special. I know I'm not special....but that was the nice thing about PMUA....They MADE me feel special!!
Old May 17, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Anyone traveling SAME day on an International flight in Global First OR travelling to JFK using P.S. service in First can use the FCL at LAX OR JFK

Even if you are flying in Y from LAX - SFO and connecting to a TPAC or TATL flight in F/A/O you can use the FCL. The LAX FCL is upstairs near gate 72 73 and well worth it. MUCH nicer the the UCLUB, good food and a premium self serve bar

It ain't the Silver Kris FCL BUT for UA it's very nice
Maybe they were mileage-runners, but why fly PS in F from JFK to LAX only to fly in Y from LAX to LHR. And they weren't FAMs...they were out of shape and polished off a bottle of champagne themselves prior to boarding.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
They "USED" to let me use the LAX FCL regardless of cabin I was flying but they told me it was a special case as I fly out of LAX a few times a month in F on PS flights (which gets admittance anyway) and PMUA appreciated my business and that was how the Station Mgr at LAX showed it to me (been flying out of there in F since 1995). It was a great perk. If going to Hawaii or just up to SFO they ALWAYS welcomed me ( and even my girl friend when flying on her own who used to live in L.A.). They extended this courtesy EVERY time for 17 years. I went up there on 3/4 on my way to IAD and was told "the party's over". The "New" mgmnt made it clear to the SD's up there that from now in they could NO LONGER use there discretion. What a way to run a business that's based on Customer Service!!! Or perhaps the lounge is really there for my safety

And before someone says that's how it should be, that I'm not special. I know I'm not special....but that was the nice thing about PMUA....They MADE me feel special!!
UA and other carriers also use whatever their highest-end lounge is (whether that's UC or a dedicated F lounge) for various VIP's. It's within executive discretion & the local station manager.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
CO's BusinessFirst seat (and overall product) is much, much, much, much better than UA's old international First Class product.
This shouldn't be surprising, given that the BF seat is ~5 years old and the old UA F seats are ~15 years old, right? You could say the same thing about UA C on the 763 vs. CO C on the 762/764.

Agreed on the food though.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Thanks for info re: the LAX FC lounge. I am planning on using it when I fly in F to SFO and then on to FRA in GF. My question--is there a FCL in SFO as I am stuck there for about 3 hours. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.