FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642740-consolidated-united-club-access-questions-thread.html)

bunkunu Jan 1, 2023 4:39 am

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Hello beautiful people, happy new year!

I have a particular question related to club lounge access, but the question is not whether I have access, but whether they will change the loyalty # on my ticket.

The question:
When trying to access the Club lounge for short haul domestic using ANA *G status, does that # need to be on the boarding pass, or does my ANA card suffice (and have United # on boarding pass)

When accessing the lounge for short domestic flights, like SFO-PDX.
Basically, I am trying to get PQF for my Untied status. So I need my United # on my boarding pass.

But I have ANA Plat / *Gold membership which gives me domestic club lounge access for these flights.

But does the ANA # need to be on the itinerary? I'm afraid that if I just show my ANA card, they will try to "fix" it into my boarding pass to give me access and not let me keep my United # for the flight. I don't want to risk changing it back later.

When I was reading the access rules online, I could not figure out this technicality in the verbiage shown.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you.

cfischer Jan 1, 2023 6:52 am

Originally Posted by bunkunu (Post 34881681)
Hello beautiful people, happy new year!

I have a particular question related to club lounge access, but the question is not whether I have access, but whether they will change the loyalty # on my ticket.

The question:
When trying to access the Club lounge for short haul domestic using ANA *G status, does that # need to be on the boarding pass, or does my ANA card suffice (and have United # on boarding pass)

When accessing the lounge for short domestic flights, like SFO-PDX.
Basically, I am trying to get PQF for my Untied status. So I need my United # on my boarding pass.

But I have ANA Plat / *Gold membership which gives me domestic club lounge access for these flights.

But does the ANA # need to be on the itinerary? I'm afraid that if I just show my ANA card, they will try to "fix" it into my boarding pass to give me access and not let me keep my United # for the flight. I don't want to risk changing it back later.

When I was reading the access rules online, I could not figure out this technicality in the verbiage shown.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you.

Your card should be enough for entry. *A is pretty clear that it is sufficient. UA Clubs can be a bit pesky with this and they might try to change it to your ANA#. Tell them not to ... if they still do it, change it back at the gate ;)

bunkunu Jan 1, 2023 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 34788032)
I'm at SNA now with Alaska flight to SFO leaving shortly & United flight this afternoon from SFO back to SNA. My United boarding pass scanned green at the United Club, but both agents at the desk refused me entry. They claim the rule is that because my flight out of SNA isn't on United & my return flight into SNA hasn't arrived yet, I'm not allowed in. I'm pretty sure they're just making up a rule that doesn't exist. Any thoughts about this? They initially tried to tell me not to even scan my boarding pass, but I said, "Let's just try?", so they acquiesced. When it scanned green, they had look of surprise on their faces... 😹 😹 😹

I am a newbie to United but I would venture to guess this is a coding issue - basically not being specific enough.

IF pax is a member and
IF pax is flying UA on DATE from AAA to BBB
IF club is at location AAA or BBB
IF boarding pass is scanned at club on said DATE
THEN allow access

Would scan green

But they didn't go as far as to write in
AND IF flight has arrived from AAA to BBB
THEN allow access to BBB
(also AND IF flight has not departed yet from AAA to BBB, then allow access to AAA)

Another alternative scenario where you might scan green but they say no:
If your flight was SFO-SNA UA then SNA-SFO on AS (switched round trip)
When you arrive at SFO on AS it might scan green
But technically you would not be allowed access

Computers can provide basic stop gap but any areas where it does not go "far enough" will require human adjustment

Sorry to resurrect an ancient topic but it was an interesting one I couldn't help myself

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34881885)
Your card should be enough for entry. *A is pretty clear that it is sufficient. UA Clubs can be a bit pesky with this and they might try to change it to your ANA#. Tell them not to ... if they still do it, change it back at the gate ;)

would it be too cheeky to try to get them to do it once I enter the Club?

Flying Machine Jan 1, 2023 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by bunkunu (Post 34882865)
would it be too cheeky to try to get them to do it once I enter the Club?

in my opinion you will not have to change your a MP number on your boarding pass, Just tell the UA agent your ANA card is for entry only do not change your MP crediting. I do it all the time with my CM card. Never had an issue at all!

Toronto1970 Jan 19, 2023 2:16 pm

I've read the rules a few times and can't get a definitive answer on this (and sorry if it was answered in one of the previous 66 pages!)

Me: 1K flying HND-SFO-DEN-YYZ in Y (ugh)
Friend: No status flying HND-SFO-YVR in Y
All on UA metal

I know the rules state that to bring a guest in they must now be on the same flight (instead of the old rule where it could be any *A flight). But that wordage is about being on the same outgoing flight. Because the HND-SFO flight is UA metal and my status is with UA, I am eligible to use the lounge in SFO under the incoming criteria as well. Does the fact that my guest is on the same INCOMING flight allow me to bring them in?

Watch Commander Jan 25, 2023 6:16 pm

I'm flying CDG-IAD (Polaris) and then IAD-YYZ (on Air Canada in Y)
If I understand the access rules then am I correct in understanding I will have access to the Polaris lounge?

fumje Jan 25, 2023 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Watch Commander (Post 34957710)
I'm flying CDG-IAD (Polaris) and then IAD-YYZ (on Air Canada in Y)
If I understand the access rules then am I correct in understanding I will have access to the Polaris lounge?

Yes. Also united club, not that you should bother.

JayhawkCO Jan 25, 2023 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 34939943)
I've read the rules a few times and can't get a definitive answer on this (and sorry if it was answered in one of the previous 66 pages!)

Me: 1K flying HND-SFO-DEN-YYZ in Y (ugh)
Friend: No status flying HND-SFO-YVR in Y
All on UA metal

I know the rules state that to bring a guest in they must now be on the same flight (instead of the old rule where it could be any *A flight). But that wordage is about being on the same outgoing flight. Because the HND-SFO flight is UA metal and my status is with UA, I am eligible to use the lounge in SFO under the incoming criteria as well. Does the fact that my guest is on the same INCOMING flight allow me to bring them in?

No.

delpiero223 Jan 26, 2023 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 34957799)
No.

Is that new? I've brought guests on arrival (before the 2022 policy change) and never had a problem. No more guests on arrival now?

AirbusFan2B Jan 26, 2023 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by delpiero223 (Post 34960806)
Is that new? I've brought guests on arrival (before the 2022 policy change) and never had a problem. No more guests on arrival now?

Star Alliance rules are all about departure. UA grants arrival access from its own flights based on UA Club membership (+ guests given certain criteria) or Polaris BP (no guests.)

miamiflyer8 Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 34957799)
No.

Originally Posted by delpiero223 (Post 34960806)

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 34960847)
Star Alliance rules are all about departure. UA grants arrival access from its own flights based on UA Club membership (+ guests given certain criteria) or Polaris BP (no guests.)

UA*G (Premier Gold or higher) with an INTL segment in their itinerary may use the UC on arrival regardless of UC membership. This does pose an interesting question if a guest who arrived on the same flight will be allowed in, on paper it states that the guest must be departing from the same airport as of May 2021. I guess one could argue that they both departed HND to SFO but YMMV.

Club and lounge access | United Airlines

canadiancow Jan 30, 2023 5:29 am

Once again, this question is mostly out of curiosity, because after flying BKK-YVR-SFO I think I just want to go home.

But if I fly YVR-SFO in AC J, and I'm United Gold, can I access the UC on arrival?

The way I read things, yes. But I will not have UA*G on the boarding pass, so I assume it would require flashing my phone at them.

Kmxu Jan 30, 2023 7:51 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34969727)
Once again, this question is mostly out of curiosity, because after flying BKK-YVR-SFO I think I just want to go home.

But if I fly YVR-SFO in AC J, and I'm United Gold, can I access the UC on arrival?

The way I read things, yes. But I will not have UA*G on the boarding pass, so I assume it would require flashing my phone at them.

No. You do not but you do at YVR. If you fly YVR-SFO on UA metal, you can visit UC at SFO.

jsloan Jan 30, 2023 9:33 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34969727)

As a UA*G, you have UC access upon arrival of a *A international itinerary, regardless of whose metal you fly.

I imagine they will eventually get fed up with allowing people to accrue to a different program than they're using for benefits, but until they do, you should be good. :)

DTW_AKL Feb 3, 2023 12:46 pm

Will be flying through ORD this weekend. Have a One-Time pass to burn at a United Lounge. Recommendations on which UA Club I should check out? I'll only have 1 hour tops to linger in a lounge as I've only got 1h45m between flights. FWIW: I'm flying through only on Mainline Metal, no UAX. So likely I'll be arriving/departing only inside the B and C concourses.

Also, people here were telling me how in Denver One-Time pass holders are being turned away from clubs at peak hours. Will I likely run into this as well in O'hare on a Sunday morning? TIA!