Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Do I have access on arrival with a connecting flight, *if the second flight is on a different PNR*?

Flying BRU-EWR on UA metal as a J award ticket, but have a second positioning flight to YYZ via UA. These two aren't linked at all, would I still have Polaris access on arrival, since I can get airside?

(and for curiosity, if it was *A via AC, or Porter/Delta/non-*A, would this still work?)
Just be mindful some people on FT has reported security line greeter in Terminal C not allowing those flying in other terminals enter. While I have never experienced such denial, you should be prepared. Air Canada, Delta, Porter, and even many UA flights all depart from somewhere other than Terminal C. Just let them you are using the lounge and plan accordingly for transit, so you don't miss your next flight.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes

If the arriving flight is UA in Polaris cabin and you have airside access (no matter how), yes
So arriving in Polaris to ORD from GRU I can then fly home on AA to LAX but use the Polaris? Just so used to OW where you need an onward OW flight.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
So arriving in Polaris to ORD from GRU I can then fly home on AA to LAX but use the Polaris? Just so used to OW where you need an onward OW flight.
yes, at ORD but not at LAX. just scan your GRU-ORD Polaris boarding pass
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So arriving in Polaris to ORD from GRU I can then fly home on AA to LAX but use the Polaris?
UA states
Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
Just so used to OW where you need an onward OW flight.
That is the general *A rules also but UA has special rules for its passenger for Polaris Lounges. Note other carriers have special rules for their customers and lounges.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'll be flying SCL-IAH in J and am currently on the waitlist for a CPU from IAH-DEN. As a 1K/*G, will I have access to the Polaris lounge?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'll be flying SCL-IAH in J and am currently on the waitlist for a CPU from IAH-DEN. As a 1K/*G, will I have access to the Polaris lounge?
If you are flying SCL-IAH on UA, and IAH to DEN is same day yes. 1K or *G does not play into the access criteria; even a non-status flyer with the same itinerary can access PL on arrival.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Yes, your SCL-IAH in J will give you access to IAH Polaris lounge.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are flying SCL-IAH on UA, and IAH to DEN is same day yes. 1K or *G does not play into the access criteria; even a non-status flyer with the same itinerary can access PL on arrival.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Yes, your SCL-IAH in J will give you access to IAH Polaris lounge.
Awesome! This will be my first time accessing a Polaris lounge! I can't wait!
United747 and econ like this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m going to be arriving at the F-gates and rather not walk all the way to G if I can’t access the PL.

So I just flew SCL-IAH in J, IAH-SFO in Y, and then out from SFO later tonight. I’m currently at the IAH PL. I would love to access the SFO PL if I can rather than a UC or Yankee Pier.

Edit: Is that a yes, UA_Flyer?

Last edited by lsquare; Nov 24, 2023 at 11:26 am
Old Nov 24, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I’m going to be arriving at the F-gates and rather not walk all the way to G if I can’t access the PL.

So I just flew SCL-IAH in J, IAH-SFO in Y, and then out from SFO later tonight. I’m currently at the IAH PL. I would love to access the SFO PL if I can rather than a UC or Yankee Pier.
I've done similar itineraries in the past, overnight from S America and receiving access to the SFO PL after the domestic flight. Recent reports indicate that it needs to be the same PNR though.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
I've done similar itineraries in the past, overnight from S America and receiving access to the SFO PL after the domestic flight. Recent reports indicate that it needs to be the same PNR though.
Sounds like a yes? I've had a change of plans and did an SDC so that's why I'll be connecting at SFO. It's in the same PNR. I'm currently on UA2385 so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Edit: Yes! I'm in! There was some confusion at the counter, but after scanning every one of my bps, eventually one had the green light and the beep.
SPN Lifer and econ like this.

Last edited by lsquare; Nov 24, 2023 at 6:41 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Two separate PNR:

1. IAD-SFO in Y
2. SFO-SIN in Polaris

Same day travel, my daughter is flying to SIN on OPM. Work policy calls for only Y travel on the domestic leg, and TA could not issue both legs on one single PNR.

Questions:

1. Will she get into Polaris Lounge at IAD? ( I assume yes based on wiki page)
2. Which boarding pass does she use to access IAD Polaris Lounge?
3. If she uses IAD-SFO board pass, there is no record she is continuing on to SIN in Polaris, wIll she get into Polaris Lounge?
4. Does SFO-SIN boarding pass get her into IAD Polaris Lounge?

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 29, 2023 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Two separate PNR:

1. IAD-SFO in Y
2. SFO-SIN in Polaris

Same day travel, my daughter is flying to SIN on OPM. Work policy calls for only Y travel on the domestic leg, and TA could not issue both legs on one single PNR.

Questions:

3. If she uses IAD-SFO board pass, there is no record she is continuing on to SIN in Polaris, wIll she get into Polaris Lounge?
My personal script for this scenario: scan SFO-SIN BP, wait for agent to ask where I am going (computer throws an error to agent), produce IAD-SFO + SFO-SIN BPs and say I am connecting at SFO, hope agent is not grumpy, wait for agent to write a note (manual override) and let me in.

This isn't a case in which I think UA really intended for pax to be able to use the lounge, but IME usually agents will grant access.
SPN Lifer and UA_Flyer like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
My personal script for this scenario: scan SFO-SIN BP, wait for agent to ask where I am going (computer throws an error to agent), produce IAD-SFO + SFO-SIN BPs and say I am connecting at SFO, hope agent is not grumpy, wait for agent to write a note (manual override) and let me in.

This isn't a case in which I think UA really intended for pax to be able to use the lounge, but IME usually agents will grant access.
Interesting tip...

let us know how this works out
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Two separate PNR:

1. IAD-SFO in Y
2. SFO-SIN in Polaris

Questions:

Interesting the TA couldn't get it on the same PNR. I posted earlier about my friend who had a similar issue but was on the same PNR. No issue at all getting into the Polaris lounge at the initial departing domestic flight, in my case SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.