Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA1K
Do you arrive in SFO after midnight? Not sure if that actually makes a difference, but it might

Edit: just re-read your question, and it seems like the answer would be no, since you are asking about access on arrival in SFO
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Do you arrive in SFO after midnight? Not sure if that actually makes a difference, but it might

Edit: just re-read your question, and it seems like the answer would be no, since you are asking about access on arrival in SFO
yeah around 8pm. Time for a nightcap if I want it before heading to a hotel for sleep. Would be a nice to have in IAH but I also suspect answer will be no. I’ll report back!
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
yeah around 8pm. Time for a nightcap if I want it before heading to a hotel for sleep. Would be a nice to have in IAH but I also suspect answer will be no. I’ll report back!
Please do report back for both (1) and (2) assuming before next month, as I expect to fly the same schedule. Thanks in advance.
ironmanjt likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:34 pm

Swiss air access to ORD Polaris

Trip booked Denver to Paris and Zürich back to Denver in August. 1st/business the whole way. Our return flight from Zürich to Denver goes through Chicago. That leg of the flight is operated by Swiss air and is classified as business class. Question is will we be able to access Polaris lounge in Chicago on our layover? Outbound through IAD united Polaris, so there should be no issue on outbound.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by aweinfeld
Trip booked Denver to Paris and Zürich back to Denver in August. 1st/business the whole way. Our return flight from Zürich to Denver goes through Chicago. That leg of the flight is operated by Swiss air and is classified as business class. Question is will we be able to access Polaris lounge in Chicago on our layover? Outbound through IAD united Polaris, so there should be no issue on outbound.
no Polaris lounge access on the return in ORD unfortunately
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
no Polaris lounge access on the return in ORD unfortunately
thank you!!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Let us know, I am curious if they have changed this or not.

Towards the end of the pandemic mess as domestic travel ramped up before UA's schedule did, I often had no choice but to fly the night before and then depart from SFO or EWR. Either no possibility to same day connect or, in the case of SFO, no seats on the one possible routing. I would never get the green beep on departure the day before. Pre-pandemic IAD would have allowed me in but they started consistently saying no. EWR, surprisingly, would wonder why no green beep but let me in anyway. Never even thought to try on arrival in SFO or EWR the night before.

In the last year have not had to do this, so please report back!
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Day 1: LAX-IAD (Y), red-eye
Day 2: IAD-CPT (J)

Will this be eligible for access in LAX? Seems vague.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Taoyuan

if all United, yes. LAX agents were knowledgeable last time and even proactively directed me from United Club to Polaris.

if you get denied initially, ask them to look at the small footnotes in the access rules page in Wingtips for "exceptions". The internal exception states that if pax can be issued/hold a BP for an eligible downline segment, admit them (manual override needed)

but again, most agents aren't familiar and are stubborn to their "knowledge" on these fine prints so you need to find a patient and humble agent that is willing to dig into the rules for you
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Taoyuan

The rule is a "Same Day Boarding Pass." Results have been inconsistent in your scenario.
Taoyuan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rule is a "Same Day Boarding Pass." Results have been inconsistent in your scenario.
Adding a datapoint to this from last week:

Day 1: DCA-SFO (D class)
Day 2: SFO-SIN (D class)

Upon arrival in SFO around 21:30 the scanner rejected access, and the agent didn't know what to do (even though I scanned the SFO-SIN BP and not the DCA-SFO). "Fortunately" the SFO-SIN that night had been canceled and she thought maybe it was a rebooking so just waved me in in the end.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by leftysauce
if you get denied initially, ask them to look at the small footnotes in the access rules page in Wingtips for "exceptions". The internal exception states that if pax can be issued/hold a BP for an eligible downline segment, admit them (manual override needed)
That's interesting. I get the sense that whatever is evaluating scanned boarding passes is highly accurate these days. That can work against a passenger that has an exception: the more accurate the automation is, the more likely the agent is to assume that a passenger with a negative scan has no legitimate access. This is especially true when they probably have to deny 100 pax a day from the Polaris lounge, with a not-insubstantial portion knowing that they don't have access and trying to talk their way in.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
This is especially true when they probably have to deny 100 pax a day from the Polaris lounge, with a not-insubstantial portion knowing that they don't have access and trying to talk their way in.
I'd say more like hundreds....almost every visit I see some combo of:

1) "but I'm flying first class to Denver!"
2) "but Canada IS international!"
3) people legit confused because they arrived in LH/NH/etc first
4) "but I have the United credit card!"

The true murky ones like the ones posted here seem to be a bit less common.
SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's interesting. I get the sense that whatever is evaluating scanned boarding passes is highly accurate these days. That can work against a passenger that has an exception: the more accurate the automation is, the more likely the agent is to assume that a passenger with a negative scan has no legitimate access. This is especially true when they probably have to deny 100 pax a day from the Polaris lounge, with a not-insubstantial portion knowing that they don't have access and trying to talk their way in.
yea it's been mostly accurate these days - i had no issues accessing UC the night before my afternoon Polaris flight two weeks ago. However, the scanner sometimes still doesn't pick up the eligibility correctly for some reservations for whatever reasons. This manual override is mostly needed when one has separate reservations for domestic and Polaris flights.

I got denied from ORD UC/C and PL and went to UC/B. The agent was adamant first but nice enough to actually brought up Wingtips to look. After reading the rules page for 5 minutes looking for every fine print she could see, she finally found it. She then called every lounge to tell other agents about this rule lol so hopefully no one should have to go through this at ORD anymore

One time I joked about using priority pass for entry and the agent almost started yelling so i quickly said jk lol
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say more like hundreds....almost every visit I see some combo of:

1) "but I'm flying first class to Denver!"
2) "but Canada IS international!"
3) people legit confused because they arrived in LH/NH/etc first
4) "but I have the United credit card!"

The true murky ones like the ones posted here seem to be a bit less common.
Doesn't Canada *G or front cabin still get access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.