Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Except UA follows the *A rules on international F access to Polaris lounge (1 guest).
except that *A says that United Polaris lounges have special conditions, and defers to United....
(says ff status/route, even though ff status never plays a role for polaris access)

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
United’s Polaris lounges: Special conditions apply for access depending on frequent flyer status and route. Please check United’s website for details.
so who knows.... united being more generous than they need to per *A F-guesting policy

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
who at first was adamant that there was no such thing as guests in Polaris Lounges.
guess this is too rare of an occurrence, even though every airport w/ Polaris lounge also has *A (eg Swiss/Lufthansa) selling F seats

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 5, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
except that *A says that United Polaris lounges have special conditions, and defers to United....
(says ff status/route, even though ff status never plays a role for polaris access)
I'm really not following. UA follows the *A rule allowing one guest in Polaris for international F pax. Given that UA does not have international F, hard to see how this is anything other than UA adhering to *A rules.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:52 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm really not following. UA follows the *A rule allowing one guest in Polaris for international F pax. Given that UA does not have international F, hard to see how this is anything other than UA adhering to *A rules.
The airlines are allowed to make up their own rules that fit within the *A framework.

This is United designating Polaris lounges as "premium" with their own, custom rules.

Similar to how LH group has customised rules to differentiate access to their Business, Senator and First lounges.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:20 am

(I assume the answer is no...) I am arriving in ORD of LH F and have a connecting flight to DEN in F. Am a 1K. I assume I dont have access to the Polaris lounge? FWIW, I am flying back to MUC from ORD in UA Polaris 3 days later.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmpacheco
(I assume the answer is no...) I am arriving in ORD of LH F and have a connecting flight to DEN in F. Am a 1K. I assume I dont have access to the Polaris lounge? FWIW, I am flying back to MUC from ORD in UA Polaris 3 days later.
Correct, no Polaris Lounge access on arriving LH F.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I am flying the following on UA.

To Europe
SFO-ORD (United First)
ORD-LHR (United Polaris)

To USA
BER-EWR (United Polaris)
EWR-LAX (United Business)
LAX-SFO (United Economy)- booked on a separate ticket.

All the flights except the last LAX-SFO leg are booked on the same ticket and all flights leave the same day. Based on what I read I should be entitled to access at SFO+ ORD on the flights to Europe and EWR+LAX on the flights to the USA (as well as the LH business lounge at BER)? Do I just scan my Polaris boarding pass when entering the lounge, even if it's not the next flight I am boarding?
Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by UAschoolflyer
I am flying the following on UA.

To Europe
SFO-ORD (United First)
ORD-LHR (United Polaris)

To USA
BER-EWR (United Polaris)
EWR-LAX (United Business)
LAX-SFO (United Economy)- booked on a separate ticket.

All the flights except the last LAX-SFO leg are booked on the same ticket and all flights leave the same day. Based on what I read I should be entitled to access at SFO+ ORD on the flights to Europe and EWR+LAX on the flights to the USA (as well as the LH business lounge at BER)? Do I just scan my Polaris boarding pass when entering the lounge, even if it's not the next flight I am boarding?
Correct, even after flying LAX-SFO you can visit the PL should you wish to do so.
SPN Lifer and UAschoolflyer like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The following will NOT give Polaris lounge access, right? I was not 100% sure after reading the wiki:

Canada -> IAD on UA in Y
IAD -> AUH on EY in J/F
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
The following will NOT give Polaris lounge access, right? I was not 100% sure after reading the wiki:

Canada -> IAD on UA in Y
IAD -> AUH on EY in J/F
Nope. The good news is that EY has a lounge at IAD, which you are allowed to access with J/F ticket.

PL policy for non-UA long-haul business customer:

Long-haul international business class on a Star Alliance member airline: A boarding pass for travel in long-haul international business class on a Star Alliance member airline

Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Nope. The good news is that EY has a lounge at IAD, which you are allowed to access with J/F ticket.

Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight.
Are you sure the EY lounge at IAD still exists? On EY's website it tells me that I will be given TK lounge access. I have many hours available so I plan to do lounge hopping, TK and LH will be part of the tour (maybe AF and VS) but I thought adding Polaris to the mix could have been nice. Oh well.

If the trip had been in reverse (AUH -> IAD in F/J, then IAD -> Canada on UA in Y), I am assuming the answer would remain the same - still no lounge access because Canada does not count as "international" and it's the long haul which must be *A, not the short-haul?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Are you sure the EY lounge at IAD still exists? On EY's website it tells me that I will be given TK lounge access. I have many hours available so I plan to do lounge hopping, TK and LH will be part of the tour (maybe AF and VS) but I thought adding Polaris to the mix could have been nice. Oh well.

If the trip had been in reverse (AUH -> IAD in F/J, then IAD -> Canada on UA in Y), I am assuming the answer would remain the same - still no lounge access because Canada does not count as "international" and it's the long haul which must be *A, not the short-haul?
You will have access to TK lounge at IAD on your outbound EY J ticket. And if you are *G, you will have access to United Club flying IAD-Canada. Otherwise no other access given that you're flying UA Y. Inbound flight on EY is irrelevant.

Besides LHR, EY closed all their outstation lounges.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

We've flown through IAD before and used the TK lounge. While it is not a huge lounge it is nicely furnished and has decent food and beverage service. The only issues I have had is they are the contract lounge for several middle eastern airlines (EK, EY, SV, and probably a couple of others). Our last experience was just before the pandemic (departing on the now defunct South Africa long haul business class) and there were several flights on the other airlines at/around the same time and the lounge was jammed! Luckily our connecting flight was early enough to allow us to get a seat before the horde descended.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just to be clear...

If flying in Polaris class on a United international flight, you have same day access to any Polaris Lounges enroute. For example, we recently flew IAD-ORD-Haneda Japan (due to the fact that United had suspended the non-stop IAD-HND flight) and had access to the Polaris Lounges in IAD and ORD. And will do so again next year IAD-SFO-Auckland at both IAD and SFO.

If flying a Star Alliance international flight in business class (or above), then you do only have Polaris Lounge access at the international departure airport.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Portolan
If flying in Polaris class on a United international flight, you have same day access to any Polaris Lounges enroute. For example, we recently flew IAD-ORD-Haneda Japan (due to the fact that United had suspended the non-stop IAD-HND flight) and had access to the Polaris Lounges in IAD and ORD. And will do so again next year IAD-SFO-Auckland at both IAD and SFO.

If flying a Star Alliance international flight in business class (or above), then you do only have Polaris Lounge access at the international departure airport.
That is correct regarding Polaris access for your examples. The response quoted was regarding flights non-UA flights, which was shown in the part cut out from quote.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Understood...

Originally Posted by fumje
That is correct regarding Polaris access for your examples. The response quoted was regarding flights non-UA flights, which was shown in the part cut out from quote.
but people do searches and find statements like I commented on out of context and get the wrong information.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.