Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:12 pm
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Didnt ask, just scanned.
Have you scanned an OLD boarding pass for Polaris flight - or the new one, for the domestic? I will be in a similar situation soon.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DIM
Have you scanned an OLD boarding pass for Polaris flight - or the new one, for the domestic? I will be in a similar situation soon.
Always do the Polaris BP first.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:46 pm

I have 8 layover in Ord. Does the Polaris lounge allow in and out entry? I have 2 separate PNR. Ord to Hnd is F.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Lcggtt98
I have 8 layover in Ord. Does the Polaris lounge allow in and out entry? I have 2 separate PNR. Ord to Hnd is F.
Yes.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Always do the Polaris BP first.
Arriving from MUC on Sunday, we weren't even asked to scan an onward BP, just MUC-SFO.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DIM
The outgoing one (domestic). She said it didnt matter, the system will beep yes or no based on your itinerary, and thats what they go by. I think its safe to say that you get Polaris access throughout your journey, not just same day
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:47 am
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’m on two different reservations. The system will not see my future Polaris flight if I will scan domestic only.
Dca-Ewr-Sfo separately, sfo-Melbourne separately on points. Trying to get access in EWR was not shure what to scan.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The outgoing one (domestic). She said it didnt matter, the system will beep yes or no based on your itinerary, and thats what they go by. I think its safe to say that you get Polaris access throughout your journey, not just same day
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DIM
I’m on two different reservations. The system will not see my future Polaris flight if I will scan domestic only.
if you are on a different itinerary, i dont see how one would get access on a different day.
Same day should be no problem
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DIM
Dca-Ewr-Sfo separately, sfo-Melbourne separately on points. Trying to get access in EWR was not shure what to scan.
Scan the SFO-Melbourne BP - that’s the only one that counts. If you are eligible based on that ticket, you will be admitted. They may ask to see EWR-SFO ticket to confirm you’re flying UA to SFO.
DIM and dutchpacific like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:37 pm

Polaris Lounge Access?

Hi experts…trying to figure out if I get Polaris Lounge Access on my inbound flight when I land in EWR. I know I can get access to the United Club. But because my starting flight inbound is operated by LH, does that mean I don’t get access when I land in EWR?

Business Class ticketed through UA. I have *G status.

Outbound
LAX >>> FRA (Operated by LH). Business Class P
FRA >>> CPH (Operated by LH). Business Class P

Inbound
HEL >>> MUC (Operated by LH). Business Class Z
MUC >>> EWR (Operated by UA). United Polaris Business Z
EWR >>> LAX (Operated by UA). United Business Z
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BoldAndRestless
Hi experts…trying to figure out if I get Polaris Lounge Access on my inbound flight when I land in EWR.
Yes, based on MUC-EWR in Polaris.
BoldAndRestless likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Arrival to EWR in United Polaris gives you access.
BoldAndRestless likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, based on MUC-EWR in Polaris.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Arrival to EWR in United Polaris gives you access.
Awesome! Thank you! 😀
Old Mar 24, 2023, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoldAndRestless
Awesome! Thank you! 😀
Access allowed at LAX too, if of interest.
Kacee and BoldAndRestless like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Access allowed at LAX too, if of interest.
I thought so as well…but since I’m flying out of the international terminal at LAX instead of the United terminal, I figure I’d try the Star Alliance lounge as I’ve never been there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.