Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges. More recent reports are UA has dropped the passport id requirement

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA has done a decent job articulating a clear policy - the flight must be branded as "Polaris" in order for a pax to have access on arrival (and must also have on onward BP to clear security, but that is not a UA restriction).

To the extent there are uncertainties, they most commonly arise over the question whether a particular UA operated flight is branded as "Polaris." But it is very clear that there is no arrival access for a non-UA operated flight.

Similar complaints are sometimes made that J passengers on an arriving *A international flight do not get connecting UC access unless they are *G. There, UA is simply applying the *A rules as written. As is UA's prerogative, it grants broader UC access to its own customers, much as it grants its own pax Polaris arrival access. UA's lounge, UA's rules.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They actually spell it out quite clearly. You need to be in United Polaris business cabin for departure and arrivals access, or long haul international first/business on a *A carrier for departures access. Codeshares are not the United Polaris business product and UA provides no marketing to suggest that codeshares are United Polaris.

To you and most FT members it's obvious. But to a person living in Japan who buys a NRT-ORD-IND (or wherever) ticket with the first segment as UA but operated by ANA? It's not what I would call crystal clear.

Is there a good reason why UA shouldn't say TATL and TPAC codeshare flights in J are excluded?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
To you and most FT members it's obvious. But to a person living in Japan who buys a NRT-ORD-IND (or wherever) ticket with the first segment as UA but operated by ANA? It's not what I would call crystal clear.
This is direct from united.com; I'm not sure how you can argue that it's not clear if one is Polaris business and one is not.

Is there a good reason why UA shouldn't say TATL and TPAC codeshare flights in J are excluded?
Because codeshares in J aren't excluded. They get departure access as long as it is a *A member. It's going to cause more confusion if you're saying codeshare are excluded, except if it is a codeshare operated by a *A member, then you still get departures access. Maybe to a FT member it's obvious when something is a codeshare, but if you're telling me someone can't tell the difference between Polaris business, which is clearly marketed as such and long-haul international business on a *A member, but they're going to know they're on a codeshare flight?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
I have a flight in business on Swiss LX 9 ORD-ZRH, award tickets issued by UA. My ticket numbers start with 016. I have 6 hours at ORD after coming from MCI. Will I be able to access the Polaris lounge in Chicago? If so, I have plenty of time to transfer to T5 for the Swiss flight.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by susiesan
I have a flight in business on Swiss LX 9 ORD-ZRH, award tickets issued by UA. My ticket numbers start with 016. I have 6 hours at ORD after coming from MCI. Will I be able to access the Polaris lounge in Chicago? If so, I have plenty of time to transfer to T5 for the Swiss flight.
Yep, you have access.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by United747
Yep, you have access.
Kool. The timing is that we can have both lunch and dinner there. Arrive at ORD at 12:58pm and depart at 7:10pm. We even have time for a preflight shower.
United747 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
This is direct from united.com; I'm not sure how you can argue that it's not clear if one is Polaris business and one is not.

Because codeshares in J aren't excluded. They get departure access as long as it is a *A member. It's going to cause more confusion if you're saying codeshare are excluded, except if it is a codeshare operated by a *A member, then you still get departures access. Maybe to a FT member it's obvious when something is a codeshare, but if you're telling me someone can't tell the difference between Polaris business, which is clearly marketed as such and long-haul international business on a *A member, but they're going to know they're on a codeshare flight?
Anyone here could craft a suitable footnote (if that’s where you want to put it) in a few seconds. Here’s one possibility:

”United Airlines Business class passengers on flights operated as United codeshares by other carriers may only visit the Polaris Lounge at the departure airport for their international flight.”

I’m sure people can massage that to be even more clear.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Not sure why it's not obvious to a regular non-frequent flying passenger. They set foot on a NH flight NRT-ORD so why would they automatically assume they have access to a UA lounge on arrival/transit? I think current rules are most easy to understand as most have said it's a way to control traffic and crowding.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by hirohito888; Mar 7, 2023 at 11:59 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 7, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the wording is fine as it is. Some people just don’t read the words. If someone reads the access rules, it’s pretty hard to somehow come to the conclusion they have access on arrival if not arriving in United Polaris.

Most people who are turned away just made assumptions - making assumptions is easier than reading.

...Is there a good reason why UA shouldn't say TATL and TPAC codeshare flights in J are excluded?
Because written rules already say access based on arrival is restricted to United Polaris customers. If people can't (or won't) read fairly clear rules, I don't think adding more words will help. Do people in ANA or Lufthansa think they are in United Polaris?

I think people who fly Honolulu to SFO in a Polaris seat should be given more sympathy for misunderstanding the rules becasue they see "Polaris" on the bulkhead of their cabin - some of those passengers think "HNL - SFO is long-haul int'l". . The last time, I looked "Polaris" is not on the bulkhead of LH or NH planes, nor is on their tickets, and United is not painted on the sides of their planes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:54 am

My friend and I are flying from ORD to NRT on the same ANA flight that was purchased via Virgin Atlantic using points(tickets are issued via ANA). I am in ANA first-class, my friend is back of the bus. I want to go to the ORD Polaris lounge and bring my friend in as a guest. According to this thread and this united page I should be able to bring my friend in with me because am on a long-haul international flight with a star alliance member(ANA). Am I reading this correctly?

Also I have another friend who is flying the same route today in First class, and was just in the Polaris lounge at ORD. I asked him to check with the front-desk people about guests and they said "no guests". I am planning to print out the policy and bring it in with me. Anyone else have any tips for picky lounge staff?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are in ANA First (not ANA Business), you’re allowed one guest. There is a difference between the two. My guess is your friend confused Business w/ First - they are both lie-flat sections. What class of service does your ticket say?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cjchaps
I asked him to check with the front-desk people about guests and they said "no guests".
Which is true for about 99% of Polaris entries, the sole exception being pax who are flying long-haul F on a *A partner. That's a very limited set of options.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:09 am

Yep - I'm definitely ANA First, and not business. Thanks for the confirmation.

RE:
If you are in ANA First (not ANA Business), you’re allowed one guest. There is a difference between the two. My guess is your friend confused Business w/ First - they are both lie-flat sections. What class of service does your ticket say?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by susiesan
I'll be in the same scenario in a few days connecting UA -> LX J with a 5 hour layover. I'll be using the PL. Do note that the Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) is open again at ORD! It says it runs from B1 so I'll walk over there from the PL and hop the bus so I don't have to take the ATS and re-clear security. Will report back if there are any issues but TTB should be the easiest way to go.

-RM
susiesan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.