Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Either they're expanding into new space, doing something really elaborate, or dealing with Chicago unions if it's going to take another 6+ months to finish the United Club.
If I had to guess in order of what's likely the reason for 6+ months:
1. Chicago unions
2. Expanding into existing space
3. Unique & interesting (least likely)

I, too, am glad to see them expand the lounge. While I've never been there during peak hour and had a problem finding a seat, I can see how that could happen very quickly for the evening bank of intl flights.

-RM
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Busiest Times?

I have to book several J tix in the next few weeks for flights later in the year and am wondering if there is any better time to transit through ORD and have a reasonable chance of getting a seat? E.g. is it busiest in the morning and early afternoon for all of the Asia flights? Or later for the Europe flights?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Platinum
Currently in the Polaris Club, enjoying a cocktail. About half full at 6:30 pm. According to the gatekeeper in front of the entrance, many of the early afternoon flights left around 5-6. No issues with using boarding passes for tomorrows flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by frankmu
No issues with using boarding passes for tomorrows flight.
Long layover same itinerary?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I finally got to check out the place Friday on my way home from PVG. Notes:

• It's a mind-bending experience compared to any domestic United Club, and it even makes the LHR UC look a little downmarket. In a word: amazeballs.
• I didn't have time or an appetite to order dinner, but the buffet options--most in miniature skillets, all labeled--were fantastic.

• I can't believe there's been so little discussion here about the self-serve bourbon selection.
Very similar to my impression. I was simply stunned that UA had created such a nice product. ^^^ Now I finally understand what all the hype is about!! We can only hope that SFO is finished ahead of schedule (I was told possibly Q4-2017 as opposed to Q1-2018).

Originally Posted by milepig
We were through Sunday when it wasn't very busy. I can see how the dining area can get crowded as we occupied a table for over an hour before my chicken sandwich came!

Agree that the drinks list is great. But, no one wants to wait an hour for food in an airport lounge!
Even worse you can't order food unless you are able to snag a seat at one of the few special tables. This is completely the opposite of my experience a few years ago in the Qantas and BA F lounges where there are plenty of empty tables and the service is fast. You kind of wonder about UA management: is it ignorance, incompetence or just that they don't care if the product doesn't measure up to international standards? Sadly I lean towards option 3...

Originally Posted by kwb007
Just arrived at ORD Polaris for my trip to Paris on a Sunday. Yet again, no seats available. Sadly it's the new norm. Whatever United was attempting to accomplish with the Polaris lounge is failing miserably. This place looks more like the Newark United club at 4pm on a Thursday than an international lounge. Not relaxing. Not satisfying. Not a wonderful experience.....even more depressing is the memory of the First/Global lounge that died so this piece of mediocrity could open. This is NOT enhancing my travel experience.

The continued downward march of United's travel experience for heavy fliers is truly sad.
Unfortunately the loads are extremely time sensitive. In my one experience, we found plenty of seats between 2-3pm. But then things started to fill up and by 4-5pm it was SRO due to all the impending European departures. This probably is the norm unless UA decides to stop hub/banking flights.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have to book several J tix in the next few weeks for flights later in the year and am wondering if there is any better time to transit through ORD and have a reasonable chance of getting a seat? E.g. is it busiest in the morning and early afternoon for all of the Asia flights? Or later for the Europe flights?

Thanks.
Arrived at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon and found the lounge to be sparsely populated. However it gradually began to fill up and was packed by 5pm with more visitors than seats. And you can forget about ordering a meal at this time unless you spot someone leaving one of the few special tables.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Long layover same itinerary?
Correct. Flying out on UA 958 tomorrow, flew in this evening. The CS person scanned in our (card stock!) bp's , no hesitations. If it's not too busy, will try the lounge tomorrow.

One of my teenage son felt the tortellini portions were smaller than he liked. The other teen enjoyed his burger.

If anyone orders the bread pudding, remember it takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. The family thought it was worth the wait.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Another datapoint:

Flew BOS-ORD on 10July. Onward connection ORD-HKG in F on 11July, same PNR and same ticket. As the layover was <24 hours, I was happily admitted to the P-Lounge after arriving in ORD on 10July.

Now I'm back for my second visit on this itin before the HKG flight.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Another datapoint:

Flew BOS-ORD on 10July. Onward connection ORD-HKG in F on 11July, same PNR and same ticket. As the layover was <24 hours, I was happily admitted to the P-Lounge after arriving in ORD on 10July.

Now I'm back for my second visit on this itin before the HKG flight.
I just missed you 😄
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:41 pm

Is the full menu available from open to close? If I were to be on a morning flight (before 10AM), can I still have all of the food options?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:35 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I tried to find this up-thread (and I am sure it exists, but my search skills are lacking). If I am flying ORD>IAH in Polaris First but the IAH>International leg is on a separate itinerary (and in steerage at the moment) I don't get access at ORD correct? Sorry for the rudimentary question.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by LIH
I tried to find this up-thread (and I am sure it exists, but my search skills are lacking). If I am flying ORD>IAH in Polaris First but the IAH>International leg is on a separate itinerary (and in steerage at the moment) I don't get access at ORD correct? Sorry for the rudimentary question.
You do not. The international segment has to be in confirmed business while you're in ORD to access the Polaris Lounge (e.g. waitlisted IAH-intl and it hasn't cleared yet would not get you in). Separate tickets would also technically disqualify you but unless you get a very grumpy agent I think you'd get in.

-RM
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:45 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You do not. The international segment has to be in confirmed business while you're in ORD to access the Polaris Lounge (e.g. waitlisted IAH-intl and it hasn't cleared yet would not get you in). Separate tickets would also technically disqualify you but unless you get a very grumpy agent I think you'd get in.

-RM
That's what I thought, much appreciated. Yet more angst for my GPU to clear.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LIH
That's what I thought, much appreciated. Yet more angst for my GPU to clear.
And just to be clear, your ORD-IAH flight is not "Polaris First".
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
"A United spokeswoman said today the Polaris lounge expansion at O'Hare is scheduled to done by the end of 2017, with the adjacent, reconfigured United Club near Gate C16 expected to open 'in early 2018.'"

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-at-ohare.html
Another 6 months?!?!
JESUS WEPT..... The C16 UC has been closed since January and they need a whole year to get it running? Unbelievable.
2 months ago I spoke to the bartender and he said nothing had been touched in there, then I took a peek myself and he was right...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
How crowded do folks think it will be on a Thursday afternoon next month around ~2 PM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.