Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
365th day, still the only Polaris Lounge. Ouch.
Meanwhile, AA has opened a bunch of new flagship lounges in its hubs. Really don't understand why UA is so much slower on the lounge makeovers.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Meanwhile, AA has opened a bunch of new flagship lounges in its hubs. Really don't understand why UA is so much slower on the lounge makeovers.
Two reasons... I believe UAL significantly undershot lounge capacity in their projections and are working through what the concept will look like elsewhere with realistic traffic, especially in terms of budgeting. I don't expect the Polaris Lounge F&B program at EWR or SFO to be as nice as what was originally rolled out at ORD. Second, UAL has been trying to reduce and defer capex, and lounges (both UC and PL) are a big part of United's facilities-related capital expenditure over the next few years.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
Two reasons... I believe UAL significantly undershot lounge capacity in their projections and are working through what the concept will look like elsewhere with realistic traffic, especially in terms of budgeting. I don't expect the Polaris Lounge F&B program at EWR or SFO to be as nice as what was originally rolled out at ORD. Second, UAL has been trying to reduce and defer capex, and lounges (both UC and PL) are a big part of United's facilities-related capital expenditure over the next few years.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you that UAL undershot lounge capacity. That was widely known last December/early January of this year and would be a simple adjustment in the specific lounge model for updating with more realistic passenger traffic figures. Delaying EWR/SFO a few months to make the adjustments or redesign, not 6-8 + months is ridiculous especially since it's noteworthy they don't even speak to it. If the F&B program is sub ORD, I think they'll continue to lose valuable traffic to Delta/AA. Sure Delta doesn't have a specific lounge, but I'd argue the experience is better in air. While I don't think the AA flagship lounges are as nice as the Polaris lounges (except for the separate dining area), their F&B offerings are on par with Polaris and some could argue even better, so if UA decides to cut their Polaris offerings on the ground as they have in the air, I'll begin to look elsewhere for the tickets I purchase up front. Granted I'm only a $15-$20K a year spend with UA, so they wouldn't miss me. I like the ORD Polaris lounge and my only complaint is the crowding and am excited for the additional space. I've noticed the cuts in the air since they rolled it out last December and still find it amazing that they couldn't accurately forecast both the lounge traffic and expected spend on soft product in the air.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
II've noticed the cuts in the air since they rolled it out last December and still find it amazing that they couldn't accurately forecast both the lounge traffic and expected spend on soft product in the air.
Not to mention that, during a time of record profits, they've elected to downgrade the service rather than allocate additional funds.

With this strategy, it's no wonder they're unable to increase PRASM and close the gap with DL.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Not to mention that, during a time of record profits, they've elected to downgrade the service rather than allocate additional funds.

With this strategy, it's no wonder they're unable to increase PRASM and close the gap with DL.
United is making money the problem is they SUCK compared to the competition. SO united is trying to do better than means higher costs of flights or lower costs. United needs to wake up and stop giving away profitable routes to the competition.
YYZ-to LAX and SFO is serviced by its partner AC with 8 nonstop flights a day on wide and narrow body aircraft from Uniteds HUB, stupidity like this has to stop if the airline is ever to be profitable.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: 1K

Agreed. And they won't. They're trying to have it both ways. Low cost & "world class airline", thinking that will help close the gap. I'm fine with low cost, but make those cuts outside of the hard and soft product (and there's definitely opportunities) and invest in the hard and soft product to close the gap. That way I won't check other airlines when I'm booking United, I'll instead spend more to fly on United for the convenience and experience, however they decide to cut the product and it's quite noticeable. When I buy up front international, status to an extent is irrelevant to me, so I'll continue to occasionally book American or Delta.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:22 pm
Suspended

I was really hopeful at the end of last year when the lounge opened and then we saw the new cabin - but their inability to execute properly has bitten them again....

Add to this the partnership with OTG at my home airport (EWR) - the situation with the lounges - and the relative lack of flights with the new cabin has made it much easier to just fly other airlines now....

On the flip side - Just landed in Newark and was happy to see the new Wendy’s being built! - actually, that’s sad too....
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Let's look at some facts.

AA announced the overhaul of Flagship Lounges in February, 2016. UA launched Polaris/announced the lounge at the beginning of June, 2016.

UA opened their first lounge 6 months later. AA opened their first refreshed lounge at JFK in May 2017, 15 months later. AA has now opened two more since then, ORD in September (19 months after announcement), and MIA in November (21 months), with a fourth in LAX hopefully done by the end of the year (22 months). We are 18 months after the Polaris launch, so AA has beaten UA to the second. However, UA is scheduled to open their fourth is around the same time frame as AA, if not sooner. The rest remains to be seen.

AA now has three lounges open. The first has been open for 6 months, the second 2 months, and the third only a couple weeks. That's a combined 8-9 months of access across all three clubs. UA has had one lounge open for a total of 12 months. It will take another month or so for AA to catch up to UA in that metric.

The crown on AA's head isn't so shiny now.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:53 pm

Having recently upgraded my Amex to Platinum, I've had the opportunity to visit several DL Sky Clubs. While I haven't been impressed with the breakfast offerings there, the food set out during the rest of the day blows the UC "enhancements" put of the water. Oh, and there's the occasional free premium beverage chit the lounge attendants pass out. I can't remember the last time that happened at a UC.

If UA cuts the F&B offerings at the remaining hub Polaris lounges, that would be a huge mistake, IMHO.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
Having recently upgraded my Amex to Platinum, I've had the opportunity to visit several DL Sky Clubs. While I haven't been impressed with the breakfast offerings there, the food set out during the rest of the day blows the UC "enhancements" put of the water. Oh, and there's the occasional free premium beverage chit the lounge attendants pass out. I can't remember the last time that happened at a UC.

If UA cuts the F&B offerings at the remaining hub Polaris lounges, that would be a huge mistake, IMHO.
Is that the Delta Branded Amex Platinum or the GM Platinum? I might be flying through some Delta Hubs next year and wouldn't mind dropping in on Delta Club, but I've got the GM Amex Platinum.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Hopefully all this delay also means they are considering the proper sizing of the non-Polaris clubs at the hubs. With the rumours of the C-120 club becoming all Polaris, its really going to suck flying out of the 1xx gates if the only club available is the C-74 one.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by drowelf
Is that the Delta Branded Amex Platinum or the GM Platinum? I might be flying through some Delta Hubs next year and wouldn't mind dropping in on Delta Club, but I've got the GM Amex Platinum.
Regular Amex Platinum card gets you into Delta Sky Lounges (but no guests).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Hopefully all this delay also means they are considering the proper sizing of the non-Polaris clubs at the hubs. With the rumours of the C-120 club becoming all Polaris, its really going to suck flying out of the 1xx gates if the only club available is the C-74 one.
They are supposed to be building another UA club above the far end of the C3 concourse. I saw some construction work going on there the other day. We can nly hope that's what is going on up there.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:47 pm

Just the plain Amex Platinum
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They are supposed to be building another UA club above the far end of the C3 concourse. I saw some construction work going on there the other day. We can nly hope that's what is going on up there.
So go the pop-up into a permanent lounge? Still too small IMO. I really would wish that a rumor I had heard for the original plan (build it above office space after security) would have worked. Heck, they might as well put it where the C3 security checkpoint used to be, given it's been closed forever...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.