Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Got off a flight from PEK to ORD (had upgraded to 1st) and was surprised that a United rep was at the end of the jetway holding a sign with about 10 names. Mine was one, and she handed me a boarding pass that had a little sticker inviting me to try the Polaris lounge. I had a long layover, so I headed straight for the lounge. It was very busy when I got there around 5PM, but i found a seat next to a table with dirty glasses. Cleanup seemed to be very slow for the first hour or so. The crowd rapidly thinned out, and by 6PM the club was mostly empty.

Quick observations:
- Food was fairly good, particularly if you are used to United Clubs. On a par with a typical international lounge. Didn't try the table service but the menu looked good.
- I liked the full service bar with the self-pour whiskey table. The latter included a Balvenie Doublewood, one of my favorite Scotches. 6 taps for draft beer, but they were all non-functional ("waiting for gas").
- Variety of seating is good
- For a new club, surprisingly limited power outlets. Most are lamps with one 120 plug and one USB connection. Often, the lamp is shared by multiple seats. I usually use 2 120v outlets - one for my Mac, one for a USB adapter that charges up to 4 devices. At least the majority of seats have one nearby.
- Bizarre rest rooms. A long, dark hallway has about 10 or 12 individual gender-neutral bathrooms. The only way to tell if one is occupied is to try the handle or look for a tiny "occupied/vacant" indicator by the handle. This is almost impossible to see in the dark hallway. When I arrived, all were occupied. I don't think they thought through this design very well.

Overall, for a US lounge, it's not bad. I use Amex Centurion lounges, usually SFO & IAH, and I'd say this comes close to the IAH experience but not quite as good as SFO with visible chefs and the wine tasting wall.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I don't recall exactly, but his words were very similar to what I wrote above. Maybe instead of saying "free", he said the food and drinks were "included" or "complimentary" but the service was not.
When I was there a few weeks ago in the morning, there was a waiter with a beard who gave good service in the dining area. He did tell the guy seated at the the table next to me that "service wasn't included." He only had a few singles on him, so left that as the tip. I left $5. However, on my second visit, there was a diner next to me who only had one drink and an appetizer and then left (wasn't there more than 20 minutes). He left a $20 tip! I thought that was crazy!!

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:21 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Polaris access policy change

I cant get the direct link (maybe an internal memo?) but I was sent a text of a screen shot. Basically this closes the loop for short haul AC access to polaris lounges where you could buy a business class AC ticket, use the polaris lounge etc etc.... I was told about this loop a long time ago but could never be bothered to use it. I try to avoid ORD like the plague anyway.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ermintrude; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:34 pm Reason: screenshot change
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bummer for Lucky. My $305 Ticket that Gets Me Access to United's Polaris Lounge
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Followed by
United Cuts Polaris Lounge Access For Air Canada Passengers

Also covered in AC FT forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ge-access.html

Appears this is effective 1 Oct, 2017
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by txirish
Got off a flight from PEK to ORD (had upgraded to 1st) and was surprised that a
- Bizarre rest rooms. A long, dark hallway has about 10 or 12 individual gender-neutral bathrooms. The only way to tell if one is occupied is to try the handle or look for a tiny "occupied/vacant" indicator by the handle. This is almost impossible to see in the dark hallway.
Definitely agree about the dark rest room hallway. I made a couple of comments about that to the desk agents when I left. I think they made it dark to enhance the star display (Polaris) on the ceiling. But it really does need some additional lighting or at least better indicators for the occupied/vacant restrooms.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I cant get the direct link (maybe an internal memo?) but I was sent a text of a screen shot. Basically this closes the loop for short haul AC access to polaris lounges where you could buy a business class AC ticket, use the polaris lounge etc etc.... I was told about this loop a long time ago but could never be bothered to use it. I try to avoid ORD like the plague anyway.
Good. An obvious (and correct) response to overcrowding at the Polaris lounge.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
More than fine with this change being implemented. Only flights with the Polaris soft product should get access (which is basically what this change does, at least for UA metal flights).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
More than fine with this change being implemented. Only flights with the Polaris soft product should get access (which is basically what this change does, at least for UA metal flights).
Note that this was already true for UA metal flights, the only change is deny access for non-UA transborder flights who previously had a loophole.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: OW Emerald(RJ), SA Gold(Turkish Elite)
Flying Lufthansa Business out of ORD. Can i access Polaris lounge ?

Flying Lufthansa Business out of ORD-FRA. Can i access Polaris lounge before heading over to terminal 5?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zbeebo
Flying Lufthansa Business out of ORD-FRA. Can i access Polaris lounge before heading over to terminal 5?
Yes.

Don't go to T5, you'll miss your flight
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last Thursday that flight left from B17
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zbeebo
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes.

Don't go to T5, you'll miss your flight
Correct. All Lufthansa flights will arrive ORD in terminal 5, but they tow the plane over to Terminal 1 for departures (B or C gates). You have access to the Polaris lounge, and it will be a short walk to your departure gate. No need to leave the terminal nor clear security. Very easy.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Very easy.
Very easy except for finding a seat in the Polaris Lounge…
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
365th day, still the only Polaris Lounge. Ouch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.