Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Wow, that's interesting. Wonder how they got away with outsourcing the PL staff. Will that also be true when the remaining GFLs become PLs?

Does the restaurant staff expect tips as well?
Not sure if it is expected or not, but I tipped out the wait staff and bartender the last time I went through the lounge. Service was exceptional and they earned it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

Chicago Polaris Lounge Question

Hello, if I fly Business class of Star Alliance from Europe to ORD, then ORD to Seattle in Economy on one reservation ticket - upon arrival at ORD, are we entitled to use the Polaris Lounge at all?

Second question, if our ticket from Europe and ends in ORD airport (no more seattle), again can we use the Polaris Lounge?

The star alliance is the Turkish Airline
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No to both. You must be flying United Polaris (UA metal), or departing ORD on a Star Alliance international flight in a premium cabin.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:51 pm

That stinks!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flybie
That stinks!
Standard rules for all *A lounges without *G or membership. These are departure lounges, not arrival lounges. Departure flight determines access under *A rules (UA has additional rules for its international passengers).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by laughinlab2001
Not sure if it is expected or not, but I tipped out the wait staff and bartender the last time I went through the lounge. Service was exceptional and they earned it.

This may be addressed upthread, but it's a long thread to slog through, so two questions:

1. Tipping assumes (in part) that waitstaff earns less than minimum wage and that part of their compensation will come from tips - is this true of PL waitstaff and bartenders?

2. Since everything is free, how does one determine an appropriate tip, other than guessing "retail" value of food/beverages as a baseline?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by st530
This may be addressed upthread, but it's a long thread to slog through, so two questions:

1. Tipping assumes (in part) that waitstaff earns less than minimum wage and that part of their compensation will come from tips - is this true of PL waitstaff and bartenders?

2. Since everything is free, how does one determine an appropriate tip, other than guessing "retail" value of food/beverages as a baseline?
For #1 , I have no idea but doubt it. For #2 , I usually do a dollar or two per drink, depending on how good the service is. Even in the UC I always tip the bartender.

But here's something crazy. A bit over a week ago I was in the LH Senator Lounge at MUC. After I was served one of the best cappuccinos I've ever had (the lounge has barista-made espresso beverages), and then a glass of sparkling wine by the same woman, I attempted to tip her a few euro. She refused the tip and said it was her pleasure to serve!! Now that's what I call service! If UA wanted to be truly premium in their Polaris Lounge they would pay their staff appropriately and instruct them to decline tips.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
If UA wanted to be truly premium in their Polaris Lounge they would pay their staff appropriately and instruct them to decline tips.
Especially since in the shower rooms they write in marker "tips appreciated =)" on a towel placed on the sink
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
But here's something crazy. A bit over a week ago I was in the LH Senator Lounge at MUC. After I was served one of the best cappuccinos I've ever had (the lounge has barista-made espresso beverages), and then a glass of sparkling wine by the same woman, I attempted to tip her a few euro. She refused the tip and said it was her pleasure to serve!! ...
It's the US that's crazy.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sosptuba
Especially since in the shower rooms they write in marker "tips appreciated =)" on a towel placed on the sink
I saw that same note written (but with a sharpie on a glass jar) when I was there last month. Completely tacky...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:43 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
had a delightful 45 minute stay in this lounge on a thursday am around 8

so there's a pre entrance susser-outter lady ('which intl flight you came from?'), then a entrance scanner lady. but i lost my bp, so we went to the reservation agents. all very friendly.

the lounge is beautiful. great dim lighting, nice and quiet, it's like a downline but new oz or senator lounge on a quiet night.

i'm hangry so i go for the sit down menu. yall already seen it so i won't bother. i wanted fried chikin but i'm told that's a no go cause it's breakfast . mimosa, a plate of bacon and smoked salmon cured the angst. very friendly waitress who was very attentive but not annoying/hovering. refilled mimosa promptly.

after breakfast i got up and walked away, and the bartender saw that i was gawking at the self serve display of whiskey. he beckoned me over and gave me a sample of this japanese whiskey called coffey. oh your god the best i've ever had. so i asked for a triple neat and a hoegarten. the keg was tapped so they said they'll bring it to me. it was so nice having bartenders a) keen to introduce you to new booze, b) serve you lots of it, and c) not make it seem weird that i'm drinking at 8am.

hammered both down and decided to take a shower. self service food looked great as well, those little pans are super cute. grabbed another plate of bacon for the shower, it seems that the sit down is just more elaborate preparations of what they have at the buffet.

shower superb, attendant super friendly, very large, spacious, and saks fidth towels. i got 3 different towels which i thought was superfluous but i'm also happy just getting paper towels.

on my way out i grabbed another double of that coffey whiskey and floated over to the b-10 gates for my flight out.

one of my best lounge experiences in the world yet, right up there with qr first, and i'd say far better than the lh first terminal in fra. beautifully decorated, great food, great service.
Attached Images     

Last edited by cur; Apr 14, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cur

one of my best lounge experiences in the world yet, right up there with qr first, and i'd say far better than the lh first terminal in fra. beautifully decorated, great food, great service.
I will have to disagree with the LH FCT ... that is just another world and you can get Whisky flights there that put the ORD lounge to shame.
Very nice lounge, but not comparing to the FCT!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
I will have to disagree with the LH FCT ... that is just another world and you can get Whisky flights there that put the ORD lounge to shame.
Not to mention no ducks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
ya fair, and they do have a very expansive/impressive liquor (tons of great japanese whisky) and it is a nice facility but honestly to me it was just a senator lounge with more space, fewer people, and sit down service. the staff at the polaris lounge made it all the more enjoyable for me.

Last edited by cur; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:24 am Reason: i googled what a whiskey flight is...only half ounce pours?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
FCT service is in a league of its own with every departing passenger receiving attention from their own personal attendant. Let's also not forget the Porsche/Mercedes transfer

Also, the Whiskey Bar at the ZRH SEN lounge is incredible, and available to the masses too (well *Gs...)

Finally, the Nikka Coffey whisky is probably my least favorite Japanese entry-level whisky - I wish the Polaris lounge still carried the Hibiki 12 year.

Originally Posted by cur
ya fair, and they do have a very expansive/impressive liquor (tons of great japanese whisky) and it is a nice facility but honestly to me it was just a senator lounge with more space, fewer people, and sit down service. the staff at the polaris lounge made it all the more enjoyable for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.