Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cur
had a delightful 45 minute stay in this lounge on a thursday am around 8

so there's a pre entrance susser-outter lady ('which intl flight you came from?'), then a entrance scanner lady. but i lost my bp, so we went to the reservation agents. all very friendly.

the lounge is beautiful. great dim lighting, nice and quiet, it's like a downline but new oz or senator lounge on a quiet night.

i'm hangry so i go for the sit down menu. yall already seen it so i won't bother. i wanted fried chikin but i'm told that's a no go cause it's breakfast . mimosa, a plate of bacon and smoked salmon cured the angst. very friendly waitress who was very attentive but not annoying/hovering. refilled mimosa promptly.

after breakfast i got up and walked away, and the bartender saw that i was gawking at the self serve display of whiskey. he beckoned me over and gave me a sample of this japanese whiskey called coffey. oh your god the best i've ever had. so i asked for a triple neat and a hoegarten. the keg was tapped so they said they'll bring it to me. it was so nice having bartenders a) keen to introduce you to new booze, b) serve you lots of it, and c) not make it seem weird that i'm drinking at 8am.

hammered both down and decided to take a shower. self service food looked great as well, those little pans are super cute. grabbed another plate of bacon for the shower, it seems that the sit down is just more elaborate preparations of what they have at the buffet.

shower superb, attendant super friendly, very large, spacious, and saks fidth towels. i got 3 different towels which i thought was superfluous but i'm also happy just getting paper towels.

on my way out i grabbed another double of that coffey whiskey and floated over to the b-10 gates for my flight out.

one of my best lounge experiences in the world yet, right up there with qr first, and i'd say far better than the lh first terminal in fra. beautifully decorated, great food, great service.
That's the most productive 45 minutes I've ever read about!! ^
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
That's the most productive 45 minutes I've ever read about!! ^
Only doable since this was in the early morning and probably not that crowded either. I imagine doing that agenda during rush periods in the early afternoon and evening would be more difficult.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:32 am

Is it worth paying $99 to take a positioning flight from DCA-ORD to try the new Polaris lounge, or should I just save the $$ and fly out of IAD?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Is it worth paying $99 to take a positioning flight from DCA-ORD to try the new Polaris lounge, or should I just save the $$ and fly out of IAD?
I would say it depends where you are going and when you would otherwise have an opportunity to use the lounge. if flying to Europe I would do it because then you also have the benefit of a longer flight, so you can actually get some sleep. Those East Coast-UK/EU flights are killers for sleep. If going to Asia it's more of a wash but I would do it if you don't otherwise have plans to fly out of ORD and would enjoy experiencing the lounge. Just give yourself ample time to connect!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The Polaris lounge is a sight to behold, no doubt, but is it worth spending $100 just to have a chance to visit it? I don't think so. I'd rather treat myself to a nice dinner for that $100.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Finally, the Nikka Coffey whisky is probably my least favorite Japanese entry-level whisky - I wish the Polaris lounge still carried the Hibiki 12 year.
On no! They stopped carrying Hibiki?!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

Polaris Lounge Access Clarification

I was excited to check out the Polaris lounge, as I'll be flying from ORD to YYZ on AC so figured I'd be eligible, but that will be the second leg of a connection, with the first leg being NRT-ORD on ANA.

But I'm getting conflicting information regarding whether or not I'll have access. On this United page, it mentions nothing specific about connections, and simply that

A boarding pass for travel in international business class on a Star Alliance member airline.
Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight.
ORD would be my departure airport for an international business class flight, would it not?

On the other hand, this thread has a table in the wiki that says that connecting *A passengers will not get access, but the example given shows a flight connecting to a domestic route, though still I would have assumed EWR-ORD-NRT would be eligible.

Can someone please clarify this for me? Checking out this new lounge was one of the main reasons we picked the routing we did, so I may end up changing flights if I can't actually get access.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you're arriving in from Narita in UA-operated Polaris, forget about what the ORD-YYZ flight means. You get access based on Polaris arrival at ORD:

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're arriving in from Narita in UA-operated Polaris, forget about what the ORD-YYZ flight means. You get access based on Polaris arrival at ORD:

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."
It's not on Polaris though, it's on ANA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If ORD-YYZ is on AC metal and in J, you will have access to the Polaris Lounge. You would not have access on the basis of (a) an NH arrival in a premium cabin, or (b) ORD-YYZ in J on UA metal.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If ORD-YYZ is on AC metal and in J, you will have access to the Polaris Lounge. You would not have access on the basis of (a) an NH arrival in a premium cabin, or (b) ORD-YYZ in J on UA metal.
Great, thanks for the clarification, that's what I was hoping. The other thread with the table showing no access for connecting passengers confused me though.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
While I believe this is correct, it's also stupid. I can't understand why UA would allow one to access the Polaris lounge when flying on AC metal, while they won't for someone flying the same route and class on their own metal. In fact, it's counterproductive - its as good a reason as any to book AC on this route instead - especially given the short duration of the flight.

I suppose someone just wasn't thinking about the implications when writing the rules, and that it will only be a matter of time before they impose the 6-hour (or whatever it is) flight time requirement for *A flights as well.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I suppose someone just wasn't thinking about the implications when writing the rules, and that it will only be a matter of time before they impose the 6-hour (or whatever it is) flight time requirement for *A flights as well.
There's actually been evidence presented on FT that UA is required by *A rules allow all international *A passengers into its "business class lounge," i.e., the Polaris Lounge where it exists. It's UA's decision to exempt its own short-haul international passengers that rankles for some -- though it's probably wise, given the overcrowding we've already seen at ORD.

Of course this shows just how arbitrary the distinction between "business class lounges" and other lounges really is. UA chooses to make its business class lounge a showpiece, while *G passengers flying UA are directed to the much less appealing UC. Meanwhile, LH does exactly the opposite, sending *G passengers to its much better-appointed Senator Lounges.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
While I believe this is correct, it's also stupid. I can't understand why UA would allow one to access the Polaris lounge when flying on AC metal, while they won't for someone flying the same route and class on their own metal. In fact, it's counterproductive - its as good a reason as any to book AC on this route instead - especially given the short duration of the flight.

I agree - the policy is not well thought out...that being said

AC is the only real one this affects as it leaves from T2 and is quite a walk from the C concourse. ANA leaves from C concourse, but LH and Swiss both leave from T5 and depending on the day may not even be able to enter T1 due to TSA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I agree - the policy is not well thought out...that being said

AC is the only real one this affects as it leaves from T2 and is quite a walk from the C concourse. ANA leaves from C concourse, but LH and Swiss both leave from T5 and depending on the day may not even be able to enter T1 due to TSA.
When did LH leave T1? I remember seeing LH flights leaving the UA gates in T1, as well as LH check-in counters in T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.