Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wxguy
My fourth visit to the ORD PL, and second time taking a shower (first time was two weeks ago). In the shower room there is now a plastic bucket, with a hand-written note in magic marker on it, "Tipping is appreciated. Thank you."

The United GFLs and Clubs never encouraged tipping to the shower staff. I asked a UA club employee about it, and she said, "Those staff are outsourced, so they can do what they want. That's not true in the legacy United Clubs."
For what it's worth, the tip bucket has been removed from the shower. At least my sample size of one, Room #2 , today.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Is it possible to gain access to the Lounge in Terminal 1 if I have a flight departing terminal 5?
I'm thinking I could join a friend thats flying LH F from ORD. Myself I'm flying C from T5.

( I have a looong wait at the airport so time is not an issue)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
I'm flying Austrian out of ORD around 5:00 p.m. Arriving the night before and staying at the airport and working. Has anyone with a terminal 5 departure tried to use the Polaris lounge? I have plenty of time so I was thinking maybe going down earlier in the day for lunch/brunch and then going back to get my stuff and checking in at terminal 5. Would this work? Can I get into T1 with my Austrian boarding pass?
did it work for you? I'm having the same question
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jumbooze
did it work for you? I'm having the same question
My flight is still in the future. I'll post though when I know, although I'm actually looking at changing to a connection through NYC.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:11 pm

What's the process to get into one of these:

First-come-first serve or is there a way to reserve?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jumbooze
Is it possible to gain access to the Lounge in Terminal 1 if I have a flight departing terminal 5?
I'm thinking I could join a friend thats flying LH F from ORD. Myself I'm flying C from T5.

( I have a looong wait at the airport so time is not an issue)
should not be an issue. Have done this many times and usually tell the TSA agent when I hand over my BP that I want to visit a lounge here. Rarely are there any questions or pushback.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I havent read through all 30 pages, but I have a quick question.

Family and I travelling polaris business coming home from CDG with a 6 hour layover in ORD. We booked a long layover to clear customs with slow moving kids and also to enjoy the polaris lounge. My mom lives in Chicago and would love to see the grand kids since we're there.

Can I exit the airport, visit my mom a few hours, and then still gain entrance into the lounge?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
Can I exit the airport, visit my mom a few hours, and then still gain entrance into the lounge?
Why nt? Visiting on a connection after arrival in Polaris Business certainly qualifies for entry. The side trip into town doesn't change that at all.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Why nt? Visiting on a connection after arrival in Polaris Business certainly qualifies for entry. The side trip into town doesn't change that at all.
Also consider SDC'ing to allow for a longer visit.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Also consider SDC'ing to allow for a longer visit.
6 hours is plenty long with 2 younger teens after a long flight and 2 week vacation. If anything, I will probably be ready to leave all 3 in chicago lol.

I did book the flights to give me the maximum time available in ORD and still making it home to SNA that evening.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I finally got to check out the place Friday on my way home from PVG. Notes:

• It's a mind-bending experience compared to any domestic United Club, and it even makes the LHR UC look a little downmarket. In a word: amazeballs.

• I waited longer than I expected to get a shower because the attendant asked so many questions about what I'd need: deodorant? toothpaste? comb? Me: I'm good for all that, I just want to stop feeling like I spent 14 hours in a pressurized metal tube (albeit in a lie-flat seat up front). No tip bucket was in sight in the enormous shower suite.

• From 4:15 to 5 p.m., it was crowded with people waiting to board TATL flights, then it quickly cleared out. Still better than the usual routine at IAD.

• The "Paper Plane" cocktail did not come with a little paper plane clipped to the glass that I've seen in some photos, which set back my Instagram game a little. Still delicious.

• I didn't have time or an appetite to order dinner, but the buffet options--most in miniature skillets, all labeled--were fantastic.

• I can't believe there's been so little discussion here about the self-serve bourbon selection. Other guests had drank all the Angel's Envy, a $50 bottle near me, but they still had Rieger's, Journeyman, and Few (plus one other I didn't try, with a label obscured in my photo). That is a strong and well-curated selection, and it took serious effort to limit myself to one glass before heading to my gate.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DCA writer; Jun 20, 2017 at 8:17 pm Reason: Forgot to attach a photo I took
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I had the chance to visit the Polaris Lounge twice in May as I had a couple of weeks in the US. Here's some feedback and I hope UA is listening:

PROS:
- Restaurant-style sit-down food options
- Bar cocktails are fantastic. I had the "<something> Smash" and while I heard both bartenders who made my drinks complaining about it the drinks were fantastic. Bartenders complain because they literally have to smash the ice. Hey United: just get a little machine that shreds ice from larger cubes. I'd be fine with that and the bartenders wouldn't be complaining in plain ear shot of the patrons.
- Arranged in a way so that you can enjoy some private time without having to be seen by 500 wandering eyes

CONS:
- The shower room was 80F. I walked into the shower check-in area from my HKG inbound flight and was already hot from walking through the airport (I walk very fast). I thought it was just me but then I looked on the wall and the thermostat said 76F. I asked why it was so hot and the attendant shrugged and said it's been that way since the opening and no one has fixed it. Then I went into the shower room to take a shower and the room itself was 80F. I tried to turn down the thermostat to the lowest setting, etc. and absolutely nothing made a difference. So I was sweating again after my shower which defeated the purpose.
- The burger tastes fantastic but has WAY too much salt. Please, please, please lower the salt on this otherwise fantastic burger.

Things I haven't enjoyed yet:
- The sleeper lounges
- The bourbon selection

Overall, a fantastic lounge.

I do wonder if UA is catering less food on their aircraft because of how many people will get to use the Polaris Lounge(s) now? I declined an entree on ORD-HKG on my return trip because I had had the burger just an hour before.

-RM
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I'm booking a United award J class ticket from BCN-FRA-IAD-IAH. The first 2 legs are Lufthansa and the 3 is obviously United metal.

The lounge access rules aren't clear.
No United Club access at IAD on that itinerary. Only if FRA-IAD were operated by UA. The LH or TK lounge might let you in though.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
- The burger tastes fantastic but has WAY too much salt. Please, please, please lower the salt on this otherwise fantastic burger.
They supposedly make everything in the back, I'm sure you can ask for no salt. I asked for a double order of fries and got it so they should be able to not put salt on your burger patty.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Six months in on the first lounge, they seemed to have worked out some kinks (save for overcrowding at peak times), i really an excited to see the additional clubs open at SFO and EWR (my two main intl gateways).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.