Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kmersh
I am a UNITED nobody, was passing through ORD on UNITED and wanted to see what all the praise here was about, so I stopped by the Polaris Lounge, explained that I just wanted to have a look see and then leave, no intention of sticking around, just curious.

She asked for ID, I handed her my Passport and she said I am going to hold this till you come back and then she said enjoy your look around. I took a quick look, explored for a few minutes, returned to the desk, she smiled and said I honestly thought that you were going to stay longer, and then handed me back my passport and that was that.

I must have gotten lucky as if they denied a Global Services, they surely should have denied me and I was fully expecting them too.
Typical United consistency. How did you get pass the second round of document checks?

I was there last month, the food is excellent. Probably the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had, excellent burger, excellent shrimp and grits, and an amazing bread pudding with chocolate croissant.

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:48 am

Spent 8 hours here yesterday and had a very positive experience. There were alot of staff around. The food while not world class is definitely very very good and enjoyable. Service was very strong too all around. Concierge was great to work with. Those cubicles are so well designed for work. My minor quibble is they should expand a la carte dining the those cubes as well. It is hard to do work and eat at the restaurant at the same time and those tables have no outlets. Chicken sandwich was disappointing but the rib eye while smile was very good and the star of the show was the bread pudding mentioned it was fantastic. The chocolate decadence dessert is sort of a dud and you can tell very pre-made as the chocolate brownie truffle was very hard and the mousse was tasteless. The shower suite was fantastic and the Saks 5th Ave towels were high quality. To me this is a top 5 business class lounge in the world. This is definitely more of a first class lounge feeling.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Arrived around 6:30 and it was pretty dead until 8:00 or so when other people starting rolling in. Mrs. Sosptuba was very impressed.

Would have both the Shrimp and Grits as well as the buttermilk chicken over and over and over....so good. That and the Whistle Pig =) (I did take pictures of all the drink menu pages which I can upload and share if there is interest).

ORD>GRU does not offer pajamas, however I tried asking with the concierge but no luck. Only outlier is the supervisor was in there when I asked and said pajamas are only on the planes. I thought I had a read an earlier report you could ask for them in the club.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I am a UNITED nobody, was passing through ORD on UNITED and wanted to see what all the praise here was about, so I stopped by the Polaris Lounge, explained that I just wanted to have a look see and then leave, no intention of sticking around, just curious.

She asked for ID, I handed her my Passport and she said I am going to hold this till you come back and then she said enjoy your look around. I took a quick look, explored for a few minutes, returned to the desk, she smiled and said I honestly thought that you were going to stay longer, and then handed me back my passport and that was that.

I must have gotten lucky as if they denied a Global Services, they surely should have denied me and I was fully expecting them too.
I guess that's why the term "lounge dragon" fits so well. Random acts of cruelty and kindness, unrelated to any actual policy.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just wondering if there's any hope for a GS to access the Polaris lounge while connecting in ORD from a longhaul in *A "J" to UA domestic "F". Policy says no. Just wondering what reality says.

PS - I'm totally OK if the answer is no. Not going to throw a tantrum or anything

-RM
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Spent 8 hours here yesterday and had a very positive experience. There were alot of staff around. The food while not world class is definitely very very good and enjoyable. Service was very strong too all around. Concierge was great to work with. Those cubicles are so well designed for work. My minor quibble is they should expand a la carte dining the those cubes as well. It is hard to do work and eat at the restaurant at the same time and those tables have no outlets. Chicken sandwich was disappointing but the rib eye while smile was very good and the star of the show was the bread pudding mentioned it was fantastic. The chocolate decadence dessert is sort of a dud and you can tell very pre-made as the chocolate brownie truffle was very hard and the mousse was tasteless. The shower suite was fantastic and the Saks 5th Ave towels were high quality. To me this is a top 5 business class lounge in the world. This is definitely more of a first class lounge feeling.
In my opinion it is good that the restaurant tables lack outlets. There are only 8 tables available for dining and they do not allow ordering of food from cubbies or even other tables that for all practical purposes are identical to "restaurant" tables. I noticed one person who ordered a glass of wine and remained at one of the restaurant tables for nearly two hours thus creating a bottleneck in the number of people that could order food.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just wondering if there's any hope for a GS to access the Polaris lounge while connecting in ORD from a longhaul in *A "J" to UA domestic "F". Policy says no. Just wondering what reality says.

PS - I'm totally OK if the answer is no. Not going to throw a tantrum or anything

-RM
"any hope" is very broad. The rules explicitly say no. You don't get access to the Global First lounges either when traveling in *A J, so United typically isn't generous about granting access to their lounges unless you're in Polaris.

Originally Posted by nigos
In my opinion it is good that the restaurant tables lack outlets. There are only 8 tables available for dining and they do not allow ordering of food from cubbies or even other tables that for all practical purposes are identical to "restaurant" tables. I noticed one person who ordered a glass of wine and remained at one of the restaurant tables for nearly two hours thus creating a bottleneck in the number of people that could order food.
This is a fundamental problem with the lounge design in particular at peak times. I've found myself wanting to dine, but then also needing to relocate to one of the private chairs. I'd rather they just allow dinner service in the entire lounge, especially when traveling alone (I also haven't asked whether they'd be willing to serve at the other chairs, so..)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox
...This is a fundamental problem with the lounge design in particular at peak times. I've found myself wanting to dine, but then also needing to relocate to one of the private chairs. I'd rather they just allow dinner service in the entire lounge, especially when traveling alone (I also haven't asked whether they'd be willing to serve at the other chairs, so..)

I asked this week and the answer is clearly "no".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2017 at 2:48 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
2 issues, I think:

The dining area is not set apart in any way from the remainder of the lounge. It is right in the middle of general seating, and uses the same furniture. Leads to some lingering and using as normal seat...and on my first visit it was not at all intuitive about dining service.

The capacity for the dining service is way too low. If they are not going to allow ordering from any other area, the 8 or so tables are not nearly enough.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nigos
I asked this week and the answer is clearly "no".
I can understand why they are doing it though. They want to reduce the portion of the lounge that needs meal-related cleanups, therefore the other relaxing areas are stay cleaner and fewer maintenance staff is needed. Though I agree, they either need to add more tables or at least a bar-style area for solo travelers to eat.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:09 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I can understand why they are doing it though. They want to reduce the portion of the lounge that needs meal-related cleanups, therefore the other relaxing areas are stay cleaner and fewer maintenance staff is needed. Though I agree, they either need to add more tables or at least a bar-style area for solo travelers to eat.
It could also be a kitchen capacity issue. I guess they want to keep service fast, even when at maximum capacity, maybe 8 tables is what they currently feel confident of being able to serve swiftly. I agree that it doesn't feel like a lot of covers though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

The gates have been breached! Hold the door, Hodor!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

I flew EWRDUB on Friday, then DUBEWR on Sunday in Polaris connecting onward thru ORD. I mistakenly pulled out the EWRDUB boarding pass (I was looking at it upside down when I took it out of my bag) and handed it at the entrance and then at the desk. They scanned it and waved me onward. It wasn't until I sat down and went to put the BP back in my bag did I realize my error and was actually shocked that 1) no one paid attention to the date on the BP, or 2) the computer didn't prompt the agent with some sort of error message.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I flew EWRDUB on Friday, then DUBEWR on Sunday in Polaris connecting onward thru ORD. I mistakenly pulled out the EWRDUB boarding pass (I was looking at it upside down when I took it out of my bag) and handed it at the entrance and then at the desk. They scanned it and waved me onward. It wasn't until I sat down and went to put the BP back in my bag did I realize my error and was actually shocked that 1) no one paid attention to the date on the BP, or 2) the computer didn't prompt the agent with some sort of error message.
Perhaps the lounge entry system is sophisticated enough to read all your segments in the same PNR, not just the specific segment for that boarding pass, even though you provided an already-flown boarding pass (which has the same PNR as your currently active segment).

I'm pretty sure you can't produce one for a fully domestic itinerary (accidentally) and still get in.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TCD
It could also be a kitchen capacity issue.
My thought precisely.

As to whether that's a legitimate (i.e. well planned) limitation is a whole 'nuther subject, probably for a different thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.