Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I am coming back through this Sunday and it would be nice to see if they have corrected any on the problems from week 1. Do the lights stay on? I was in the shower (nice shower it even has a drink holder ) when they went out. I've heard multiple different dates for 'hot' food I would settle for a decent spread.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hoping to check it out this afternoon. Flying in from LHR with a 2.5 hour layover to DEN. If anything notable has changed I'll share.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Any hot food in sight there today?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by kevincl
So I read this from United FAQ:

Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class on long-haul international flights, as well as customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance™ partner airlines, will have access to the United Polaris lounge.

I have a upcoming trip from ORD to VIE on Austrian Airlines business class. So I suppose I am eligible for access.
Similarly my son, daughter and son-in-law will be flying from BDL* on UA and then ORD-ZRH* in J on Swiss. I assume their bags will be checked to ZRH from BDL, and they will fly into the main terminal relatively "close" to the PL. How long should they expect it to take to get from the PL to T5? They do have about a 2 hour layover - is that enough to get any kind of experience at the PL? They originally had a 4-hr layover but the first leg just got changed.

*yeah, not very direct, but the "best" option I could get for them on miles at the time. They have never flown international biz before and didn't want to fly through another European country (Portugal, Turkey, etc) to get there.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
Similarly my son, daughter and son-in-law will be flying from BDL* on UA and then ORD-ZRH* in J on Swiss. I assume their bags will be checked to ZRH from BDL, and they will fly into the main terminal relatively "close" to the PL. How long should they expect it to take to get from the PL to T5? They do have about a 2 hour layover - is that enough to get any kind of experience at the PL? They originally had a 4-hr layover but the first leg just got changed.

*yeah, not very direct, but the "best" option I could get for them on miles at the time. They have never flown international biz before and didn't want to fly through another European country (Portugal, Turkey, etc) to get there.
It would be a bit tight - personally I'd leave myself at least 1:00-1:15 to get from the Polaris Lounge to T5 for boarding - keep in mind they need to reclear security at T5. So IF they land right on time, it should at least be enough time to stop in for a drink and a bite.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
-a double ID check was slightly offensive. A guy with a British accent stood well outside the entry lounge and wanted to see our boarding passes, followed by the actual boarding pass scan and welcome inside at the desk. Seemed like an odd interim security solution. Though I can imagine it would only get worse. I always feel a personal jab with multiple security checks no matter where, and I sincerely hope united rethinks this. It shows a big sign of distrust towards customers.
Like the gatekeepers of PreCheck, it solves potential problems further on.

I wouldn't call it "distrust", more like "lack of confidence". Of course it will be a rare FTer or one of FT ilk to attempt access by accident, but I wouldn't place a high level of confidence on the masses.

Originally Posted by villox
It would be a bit tight - personally I'd leave myself at least 1:00-1:15 to get from the Polaris Lounge to T5 for boarding - keep in mind they need to reclear security at T5. So IF they land right on time, it should at least be enough time to stop in for a drink and a bite.
Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2016 at 12:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:54 pm

sitting here right now at the bar... No hot food at all. Was told it could be February. Ate a couple of little finger sandwiches that were very nasty and stale. Very nice bartender, so far that has been the only upside.

Global Services met me on the jet bridge when my flight from London landed with a sticker on my boarding pass inviting me, yet I still had to play 20 questions at the door. It was a bit irritating, was told the my domestic connection boarding pass was no good even with the invite sticker, yet walked in handed to the agent and she took with no questions asked.

Grabbed a shower. The facility is very nice, but the drain in the shower wasn't working and the prior person must have overflowed so the bath mat was soaking wet.

Lots of bugs to work out!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by cayenne
...yet I still had to play 20 questions at the door. It was a bit irritating, was told the my domestic connection boarding pass was no good even with the invite sticker, yet walked in handed to the agent and she took with no questions asked....
Oh my, this sounds like a "gatekeeper" that's been talked about up thread. Is it me, or do they sound like SFO IFL agents, who will try anything to deny you entry?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
Oh my, this sounds like a "gatekeeper" that's been talked about up thread. Is it me, or do they sound like SFO IFL agents, who will try anything to deny you entry?
To be honest, the I've never experienced this level with the SFO IFL... Even when only flying business and being GS. To be fair apparently they have had many people not understand the principle of the lounge and cause a scene.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
LHR UA IAD/DCA UA ORD UA SFO - Qualifying?

The Polaris segment is to IAD with a change of airports to DCA, then ORD and SFO. Same day. Does the itin qualify for admission?

Thx
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by Explore
The Polaris segment is to IAD with a change of airports to DCA, then ORD and SFO. Same day. Does the itin qualify for admission?

Thx
It should, but definitely save your BP into IAD...you may need it to press your case.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Flying Polaris (f/k/a Global) First CDG-ORD-IAH. Are they going to give me a hard time upon entry in ORD?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Flying Polaris (f/k/a Global) First CDG-ORD-IAH. Are they going to give me a hard time upon entry in ORD?
Can't say whether they'll give you a hard time, but the rules say you get access
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I can't believe people are still asking if you should tip at the bar? How cheap can you be. You should tip at every bar, that's how bartenders make their money. This is not a case of UA trying to squeeze a buck out of you. Most people I see in regular Uclubs tip so why shouldn't you in what's really just a nicer, spruced up U club? I hate to break it to you but while certainly a good step up for UA, it's still just an airline biz lounge (not a first class lounge). I'd be embarrassed to not have the courtesy to leave a tip for a bartender in this kind of club/lounge (especially US based PL's)
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I can't believe people are still asking if you should tip at the bar? How cheap can you be. You should tip at every bar, that's how bartenders make their money. This is not a case of UA trying to squeeze a buck out of you. Most people I see in regular Uclubs tip so why shouldn't you in what's really just a nicer, spruced up U club? I hate to break it to you but while certainly a good step up for UA, it's still just an airline biz lounge (not a first class lounge). I'd be embarrassed to not have the courtesy to leave a tip for a bartender in this kind of club/lounge (especially US based PL's)
In all fairness, in most bars, including the UC, there is an exchange of money for the drinks. Not so in Polaris. It's not like you can add it to your bill. Wouldn't there be some rule in that case that United has to pay them a minimum wage?

That said, these bartenders are expected to do way more than your average UC bartender, and I'd guess still expect and appreciate the tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.