Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rin1018
So help me out - I'm not tracking the admittance rules and need to know if it's worth showing up extra early in the am to check out the new lounge before my trip to Seoul...

I'm flying ORD-SFO-ICN all on United metal. ORD-SFO is in first (P class). SFO-ICN is "Polaris Business" (P class).

It's the 6am flight to SFO, so I'm not sure that I'd even get there early enough to have time to check the lounge out (or if it's even open that early), but would my ticket allow me access?
dank0014 flew ORD-IAD-CDG in front cabins. dank0014 was denied entry at ORD because, according to the desk agent AND the club manager, Polaris lounge entry was only allowed at the departing airport (in dank0014's case, IAD) of the international flight. Post #166 of this thread. Of course Polaris lounge doesn't exist at IAD yet, so Dank0014 flew Polaris but couldn't use Polaris lounge. SFO doesn't have a Polaris lounge yet either. If these same two people are there at ORD, and they have not changed their minds, you will be denied.

IMHO, the people at ORD Polaris lounge are screwing up on entry rules. I hope you do attempt an entry and please report what happens. What you're doing is hardly an odd situation. A lot of flyers are potentially impacted by ambiguous wording of the access policy. Either we are understanding the rules wrong or the lounge personnel are incorrectly applying the rules.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
IMHO, the people at ORD Polaris lounge are screwing up on entry rules. I hope you do attempt an entry and please report what happens. What you're doing is hardly an odd situation. A lot of flyers are potentially impacted by ambiguous wording of the access policy. Either we are understanding the rules wrong or the lounge personnel are incorrectly applying the rules.
It seems to me a pretty clear misapplication of the published rules by UA lounge staff.

The rule for *A Polaris access expressly limits access to departure airport ("Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight"). That's much narrower than the published rule for UA metal (which includes access at "connecting airports"). Yet that much stricter *A limitation was imposed when Dank0014 was flying on UA metal.

If UA intended to limit Polaris access to pax on UA metal to the departure airport, that's what the published rule should say.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
dank0014 flew ORD-IAD-CDG in front cabins. dank0014 was denied entry at ORD because, according to the desk agent AND the club manager, Polaris lounge entry was only allowed at the departing airport (in dank0014's case, IAD) of the international flight. Post #166 of this thread. Of course Polaris lounge doesn't exist at IAD yet, so Dank0014 flew Polaris but couldn't use Polaris lounge. SFO doesn't have a Polaris lounge yet either. If these same two people are there at ORD, and they have not changed their minds, you will be denied.

Ok, we'll have to see. I'm not flying until 12/27 and given how early the flight is, I will probably just be rolling on to the plane, but maybe I'll just stay up all night and go to airport early in an attempt to help with jet lag!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:24 pm

Data point: I'm GS. I flew ord-sfo-ctu on Saturday. Handed the ord Polaris lounge agent my sfo-ctu boarding pass and there was no hesitation to let me into the lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kateem
Data point: I'm GS. I flew ord-sfo-ctu on Saturday. Handed the ord Polaris lounge agent my sfo-ctu boarding pass and there was no hesitation to let me into the lounge.
Yeah, but you're "special". How the desk agents treat us peons is something different.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Yeah, but you're "special". How the desk agents treat us peons is something different.
As a current Gold (that is taking the flight to ICN to maintain that status, sadly), I'm feeling like it may be my duty to sacrifice my night of sleep to see if I'm allowed admittance if the answer isn't clarified before then... but is the Polaris lounge even open at 5am?? (I googled quickly, but admittedly not thoroughly)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It seems to me a pretty clear misapplication of the published rules by UA lounge staff.

The rule for *A Polaris access expressly limits access to departure airport ("Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international business class flight"). That's much narrower than the published rule for UA metal (which includes access at "connecting airports"). Yet that much stricter *A limitation was imposed when Dank0014 was flying on UA metal.

If UA intended to limit Polaris access to pax on UA metal to the departure airport, that's what the published rule should say.
Yup. Maybe UA should test out policy language on FlyerTalk before publishing. We're pretty good at identifying ambiguities, contradictions, and the just-plain-dumb things. And then we do the training.

As a current Gold (that is taking the flight to ICN to maintain that status, sadly), I'm feeling like it may be my duty to sacrifice my night of sleep to see if I'm allowed admittance if the answer isn't clarified before then... but is the Polaris lounge even open at 5am?? (I googled quickly, but admittedly not thoroughly)
UA's actually updated lounge location page. Shows Polaris lounge at ORD opening 7:15am, so looks like you don't get to guinea pig.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2016 at 10:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:39 pm

If ICN is your final destination, you can SDC to ORD-NRT-ICN and problem solved (assuming there is a space for you to SDC).
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't agree with that at all. The UCs are getting upgraded (ORD, LAX, etc.) at the same the Polaris lounges are getting built out. I applaud UA for focusing on upgrading the experience for both their long-haul J pax as well those who don't qualify for Polaris access.
As I have said before, once the "P" Lounges are rolled out, and all F/J is in then, any incentive to keep up product quality at the "P Club" will go to hell. Delta has a consistently good experience because their Delta One passengers use the same lounges. When this is not the case with UA, and it is basically just paid club members, the interest in monetizing it by cost cuts will become very very strong. Basically, service is not important, it is just a question of keeping up the club card sales at a point that the soft product is low enough to make $$$.

United since 2012 has shown no interest in anything except GS (and then not even that in 2012-3) and now they are shifting attention to paid J, which will uncut the recent drive to improve the experience overall.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
As I have said before, once the "P" Lounges are rolled out, and all F/J is in then, any incentive to keep up product quality at the "P Club" will go to hell.
Then why even bother building out a brand new LAX UC with 20,000 sq ft and an outdoor terrace (at a reported cost of $55M)?

International premium cabin can be profitable, but so are the domestic business travelers on expensive Y fares who are the bread and butter of the domestic UCs. This management is smart enough to realize that. The new UCs are nice. They're stylish, the snacks are edible, and the coffee is decent. This is not the same UA that we've been bashing around here since 2012.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:22 pm

As I have said before, once the "P" Lounges are rolled out, and all F/J is in then, any incentive to keep up product quality at the "P Club" will go to hell. Delta has a consistently good experience because their Delta One passengers use the same lounges. When this is not the case with UA, and it is basically just paid club members, the interest in monetizing it by cost cuts will become very very strong. Basically, service is not important, it is just a question of keeping up the club card sales at a point that the soft product is low enough to make $$$.

United since 2012 has shown no interest in anything except GS (and then not even that in 2012-3) and now they are shifting attention to paid J, which will uncut the recent drive to improve the experience overall.
Not sure where you're getting this from, though you do have a point as a "fear of what may happen." Even a ORD, both the new B6 lounge and the United Polaris lounge were concurrently under construction. Clearly, they haven't skimped on the quality of the construction/design of B6 knowing it soon (which happened Dec 1), they would be diverting all of the business class customers over to the United Polaris lounge.

Of course, looking into 2017 and beyond will UA management change their mind? Only time will tell. But it's a little far-fetched at this point to think they're putting all this money in for new lounges that are significant improvements to existing ones, while building new United Polaris lounges in many of those same locations, knowing business class customers won't be the ones using the United Club.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have said before, once the "P" Lounges are rolled out, and all F/J is in then, any incentive to keep up product quality at the "P Club" will go to hell....
I think you meant ""UC" will go to hell"?

I think there's still a non-insignificant amount of HVF on domestic and non-Polaris international flights that provide incentive.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So tipping of staff is encouraged in this new lounge?
That is beyond lame, and low class by world lounge standards, if this was meant to be a truly premium lounge.
I think your reading this wrong. Tipping of staff has always been appropriate (and the right thing to do) as long as the staff they are speaking of is a bartender. Who else would they expect or even think it's appropriate to tip?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kateem
I am suspecting that this is what you do unless you want a "computer says no." Present your int'l boarding pass. I suspect the person who was denied presented ord-iAd. But confirmation would be nice.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I think your reading this wrong. Tipping of staff has always been appropriate (and the right thing to do) as long as the staff they are speaking of is a bartender. Who else would they expect or even think it's appropriate to tip?
The Polaris Lounge has a lot more staff that serve you now, such as bringing you drinks and, when the kitchen is ready, meal service.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
So if your in J from ORD-SFO-HND it seems cut & dry that you get P lounge admittance in SFO only since the SFO-HND is the intl flight w Polaris class BUT...... Do you at least get UClub admittance in ORD or do you get nothing. If a full fare passenger, especially on a C/D/J fare is told they don't even get Ucclub admittance in the first airport of departure that would be a HUGE mistake on UAs part

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.