Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dank0014
Yes this is exactly what was shown to me. I wasn't clear by that language so I wasn't really in a place to contest further as what was being explained was long haul from the originating airport or the connecting airport. Since this says connecting airports is where the confusion now exists. Hopefully clarity will come back from 1K Voice or maybe UA Insider??
One question: which boarding pass did you present for scan? The one for IAD or the one for CDG?

I'm going to be disappointed if I can't use Polaris at ORD on my ORD-EWR-DEL flights.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I wanna be clear about the access issue. If I'm flying IAD-ORD-NRT and the IAD-ORD is on UA but ORD-NRT is on ANA it seems I would NOT have access. Is that a correct assumption? ORD is technically the connection point in that reservation even though I would be departing ORD in business class. Or am I missing something?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I wanna be clear about the access issue. If I'm flying IAD-ORD-NRT and the IAD-ORD is on UA but ORD-NRT is on ANA it seems I would NOT have access. Is that a correct assumption? ORD is technically the connection point in that reservation even though I would be departing ORD in business class. Or am I missing something?
Are you flying in business class ORD-NRT? If s, that flight is longhaul on a *A carrier departing from the airport you will be at so you should have access. The conflicting information and experiences concern flights that are short and flights where the ticketed longhaul business segment departs from a different airport.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I was there between 3-6 pm yesterday. It was fairly empty until 4pm, and got really crowded around 6pm with almost every seat taken.

IMHO, Probably the best lounge by domestic carrier including Centurion and AA FL. And it will only get better with more food options going forward. Wifi speed was off the charts.

Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mh3265a
You get access at ORD, but not IAD (as long as ANA flight is in a front cabin). You get access at ORD because you're departing point a *A flight in a front cabin. The "connecting airport" language applies to UA flights and some UA staff seem to be befuddled by it's meaning, or the language befuddles travelers. Either way, it needs to be cleaned up.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You get access at ORD, but not IAD (as long as ANA flight is in a front cabin). You get access at ORD because you're departing point a *A flight in a front cabin. The "connecting airport" language applies to UA flights and some UA staff seem to be befuddled by it's meaning, or the language befuddles travelers. Either way, it needs to be cleaned up.
Is it possible that connecting airports was meant to simply distinguish final destination vs your long-haul arrival? Like they DON'T want people to use the lounge at ORD if they aren't actually leaving from there?

After all if the lounge was really meant to be simply a bookend to your long haul flight (meal for departure, shower for arrival) there would be a certain logic to it, albeit disappointing. But still weird considering it would deviate from the rules they used for GFL.

Edit: but then the "or departure" language wouldn't make sense either. Hmm.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
Is it possible that connecting airports was meant to simply distinguish final destination vs your long-haul arrival? Like they DON'T want people to use the lounge at ORD if they aren't actually leaving from there?

After all if the lounge was really meant to be simply a bookend to your long haul flight (meal for departure, shower for arrival) there would be a certain logic to it, albeit disappointing. But still weird considering it would deviate from the rules they used for GFL.
All they'd have to do if they intend Polaris access to be bookends is modify the language used for non-UA *A admittance - (paraphrasing) "admittance is granted at the departure airport of you international flight". If that is UA's intent, then wording should be something like "Access is granted at the departure airport immediately preceeding your international flight and at your international destination." I do, however, think UA's intent is to allow access to all Polaris lounges (if they exist) on an itinerary of a UA Polaris passenger.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Are you flying in business class ORD-NRT? If s, that flight is longhaul on a *A carrier departing from the airport you will be at so you should have access. The conflicting information and experiences concern flights that are short and flights where the ticketed longhaul business segment departs from a different airport.
Ok thanks for clarifying folks! YES in my scenario I would be flying in Business but the connecting term threw me off. This makes total sense but wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I like the pre-flug love letter. Inviting me to enjoy the ORD lounge. The best part was listing the amenities, even those that aren't available.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:11 pm

IF access is granted at prior connecting airports AND all of the Polaris Lounges are up and running, we may see some adventurous FTers try something like LAX-SFO-ORD-IAH-IAD-EWR-INTL to maximize the lounge visits

This will be like the new mileage run
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by radiowell
IF access is granted at prior connecting airports AND all of the Polaris Lounges are up and running, we may see some adventurous FTers try something like LAX-SFO-ORD-IAH-IAD-EWR-INTL to maximize the lounge visits

That's totally insane. You've got ORD and IAH reversed
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
So help me out - I'm not tracking the admittance rules and need to know if it's worth showing up extra early in the am to check out the new lounge before my trip to Seoul...

I'm flying ORD-SFO-ICN all on United metal. ORD-SFO is in first (P class). SFO-ICN is "Polaris Business" (P class).

It's the 6am flight to SFO, so I'm not sure that I'd even get there early enough to have time to check the lounge out (or if it's even open that early), but would my ticket allow me access?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by rin1018
So help me out - I'm not tracking the admittance rules and need to know if it's worth showing up extra early in the am to check out the new lounge before my trip to Seoul...

I'm flying ORD-SFO-ICN all on United metal. ORD-SFO is in first (P class). SFO-ICN is "Polaris Business" (P class).

It's the 6am flight to SFO, so I'm not sure that I'd even get there early enough to have time to check the lounge out (or if it's even open that early), but would my ticket allow me access?
Based on what I'm being told, no access since your Polaris flight is out of SFO. 1K responded to me today and said they are seeking clarification and should get back to me in 7-10 business days.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell

Depending on the hours of each lounge, you are best off going the other way due to the time zones. LHR-IAD-EWR-ORD-IAH-LAX-SFO-NRT-HKG to hit all 9 and with 2 Polaris flights, all legs should be within the connection time limits to qualify!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by dank0014
Based on what I'm being told, no access since your Polaris flight is out of SFO. 1K responded to me today and said they are seeking clarification and should get back to me in 7-10 business days.
More definitively, the lounge doesn't open until 7:15 AM, so you'll be over Nebraska by then.

On that note, however, I wonder if anyone can fill in what happened last night with all the weather delays. I see UA845 departed to GRU 2.5 hours late at 11:13. I wonder if they kept Polaris open past the scheduled 9PM closing time. I've seen them do that at the SFO GFL when an Australia flight was delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.