Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
The most recent input I have received from GS is that there is currently no plan to allow GS members on domestic F or PS BF to access Polaris Clubs.
That's a shame since we currently get access to the GFL at SFO when flying PS.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The Polaris Clubs are going to be really crowded just with the international J pax.
I've been in the ORD Polaris Club twice both times it was about half full. I was flying the early afternoon FRA flight. It would probably get busy later in the day.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I've been in the ORD Polaris Club twice both times it was about half full. I was flying the early afternoon FRA flight. It would probably get busy later in the day.
Shortly, I will be there around 4:30 p.m. for a 6:00 p.m. departure midweek. Any chance for a seat at those times?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never been there that late so I'll defer to somebody who has.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Shortly, I will be there around 4:30 p.m. for a 6:00 p.m. departure midweek. Any chance for a seat at those times?
I was in there last week around that time frame. For singles, no problem, couples it was more sparse. For families with kids it was non-existent to get seating together.

Seating is more oriented to singles as that seems to be at least 50% of the available seating.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P
Had a long layover in ORD yesterday, so tried to get a meal in the Polaris Lounge. Sat at one of the special tables, and was given silverware and a napkin by a bus boy. Went and found a menu (VERY TATTY) for myself since there wasn't one around. I then waited over 20 minutes during which no one came and took my order, despite the fact that I was noticeably perusing the menu during this time. I could not see who was supposed to be taking orders, since a variety of people were delivering dishes to other tables but no one was taking an order.

Eventually I gave up and went and helped myself to food from the adjacent room and ordered wine and water at the bar. I consumed these at my table.

During the rest of my stay in the lounge, I noticed that two guys two tables away from me who were already there when I arrived did not get their orders for almost an hour. Various women employees kept apologizing, but it didn't make the food come any quicker.

Another guy came and sat at the table next to me on the other side. He got service by shouting loudly to the person who it turned out should have been taking the orders, a grumpy-looking older guy with a moustache. He claimed the kitchen was closing in half an hour and kept walking away while the guy next to me was ordering stuff from him. The guy next to me kept calling him back while he completed his order.

Terrible service. The people behind the bar were great, though.
I had the same experience with the table service back at the end of July. Was on a long layover and killed almost 6 hours in the Polaris Lounge. Decided to try table service after the lounge cleared out for the 18:xx TATLs. I waited over 15 minutes for someone to even come over and take a drink/food order. Food came relatively quickly, but there were 2 other tables that took forever to get their orders taken too. The one server was a tall older gent with a mustache, but also seemed to be a couple of hostess that just stood around and did nothing but manage the waiting list. At one point one of the other tables waiting for the order to be taken, flagged down one said hostess and asked what does it take to get an order in.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Spent a few hours here in the morning and felt a bit hustled by my table server. After being seated, he brought the menu and told me all drinks were free, all food was free, but I had to pay for the service. Pretty tacky. Ordered scrambled eggs and was surprised when it was brought out minutes later. That, and the dryness of the eggs, made me think the scrambled eggs were already made and sitting on a warming plate. Next time, I'll order something like fried eggs over medium to ensure something is freshly made. My $2 tip was meager but felt generous all things considered.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
My first experience at the Polaris Lounge on Thursday was good, but I agree that the table service needs to be fixed.
I seated myself at an open table - just ahead of the afternoon rush, and got my own drink at the bar. It then took 20 minutes to get a menu, and another 15 minutes to order.

The meatball and shrimp with grits were good, but salty, as others have noted. Drink got refilled promptly, but dessert got forgotten. I was at the table at least 50 minutes longer than I would have been otherwise if the service had been on the ball. If the service was even 70% of what you get at the sushi bar or other dining outlets elsewhere in the terminal, there would not be such a backlog for tables at peak periods. There were many staff just standing around, and not pitching in to serve the tables.

As I was waiting for my forgotten dessert, the two tables next to me were pushed together and three United "suits" arrived for a meal. All of a sudden, the staff changed into high gear and everything picked up while the suits were in the dining area. So it can be done, but when the cat's away, the mice will play!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA GS/2M Miles, AA 1M Miles
Is anyone seeing any modifications to the ORD Polaris service offering? The common theme is that it's vastly overcrowded precisely when you need it (i.e. peak times) and the a la carte food offering is sparse and hasn't changed. A couple posts on conversations with GS reps saying the lounge should be expanded but nothing definitive yet.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Spent a few hours here in the morning and felt a bit hustled by my table server. After being seated, he brought the menu and told me all drinks were free, all food was free, but I had to pay for the service. Pretty tacky. Ordered scrambled eggs and was surprised when it was brought out minutes later. That, and the dryness of the eggs, made me think the scrambled eggs were already made and sitting on a warming plate. Next time, I'll order something like fried eggs over medium to ensure something is freshly made. My $2 tip was meager but felt generous all things considered.
"Pretty tacky" ? That's an understatement! Curious, how did he word it? Like that? You have to "pay for service" ?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It seems that mid-afternoon is the peak/busiest time. What is the approximate window? 3:00-5:00? 4:00-6:00?

Also, any tips on getting attentive service at the order-from-the-menu tables?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
After being seated, he brought the menu and told me all drinks were free, all food was free, but I had to pay for the service. Pretty tacky.
Originally Posted by chavala
"Pretty tacky" ? That's an understatement! Curious, how did he word it? Like that? You have to "pay for service" ?
I don't recall exactly, but his words were very similar to what I wrote above. Maybe instead of saying "free", he said the food and drinks were "included" or "complimentary" but the service was not.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don't recall exactly, but his words were very similar to what I wrote above. Maybe instead of saying "free", he said the food and drinks were "included" or "complimentary" but the service was not.
Yesterday, I definitely got the vibe from one of the waitresses that she expected to be tipped as her shift was ending. The guy who took over after her around 2:30 PM didn't really seem to care (he had been the bartender).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yesterday, I definitely got the vibe from one of the waitresses that she expected to be tipped as her shift was ending. The guy who took over after her around 2:30 PM didn't really seem to care (he had been the bartender).
a "vibe" is one thing but if someone told me I had to tip him I would immediately report him.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So I finally went to the Polaris Lounge at ORD. I admit to being displeased that the C16 United Club has been closed for so long. I fly domestic most of the time. When I did fly Global First recently, I went to the Polaris Lounge at 4PM on a Tuesday. No special accommodation for being in Global First.
There were no vacant seats at tables, with or without menu service. No table served food for me. So I can see why they need to expand it but I am still PO'd that the regular United Club has been closed so long and although the new decor is nicer, I would have preferred the old First lounge in this instance.

On return, on a Sunday at noon, the place was empty. We got seated and sort of served. There seemed to be a shift change in progress and we had no menu or drinks offered for 10 minutes. Then order taken, and nothing for another 15 minutes. Then a different person asks if we have ordered. No food or beverages so asked to check on that. Got beverages. Waited another 15 minutes for food. Food was ok.

So a meh experience both times, once for crowding, once for slow, disorganized service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.