Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
If OP even makes it to the scanner. Gotta make it past the person outside of the door first!

That isn't too difficult, my wife and I made it with no boarding pass at all
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
That isn't too difficult, my wife and I made it with no boarding pass at all
+1. I never show my boarding pass to the person outside. I just walk past the person looking like I know what I'm doing. I do smile and say hello to that person so nobody can accuse me of being rude.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM
I can see no guests are allowed when travelling J on UA or *A. However being 1K (star gold) can I guest someone who's not travelling with me? I'm flying ORD-FRA on LH J
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GrizNation
I can see no guests are allowed when travelling J on UA or *A. However being 1K (star gold) can I guest someone who's not travelling with me? I'm flying ORD-FRA on LH J
Status has no bearing on the use of the Polaris lounge -- it is not a *A Gold lounge. J travelers have no guest privilege (just like International F lounges in *A)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Polaris Lounge Access in ORD?

I'm flying SFO-ORD-ZRH on Sunday, both legs in C (the ORD-ZRH flight is on SWISS).

I've never really been a United flier, so I'm not 100% familiar with the details of the offering.

Given that it's a 6AM flight from SFO, I'd kill for a shower and a place to relax/work until my evening flight. Does anyone know if I'll have access to the polaris lounge (which I see as the only one with a shower?)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fflier_9999
I'm flying SFO-ORD-ZRH on Sunday, both legs in C.

I've never really been a United flier, so I'm not 100% familiar with the details of the offering.

Given that it's a 6AM flight from SFO, I'd kill for a shower and a place to relax/work until my evening flight. Does anyone know if I'll have access to the polaris lounge (which I see as the only one with a shower?)?

Thanks!
Assuming you're flying ORD-ZRH on UA or a Star Alliance airline, yes.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Yes, you will have access. When you arrive in Terminal 1, you can go straight to the Polaris lounge, show them your ORD-ZRH boarding pass, and you'll be allowed in.

Make sure that you leave yourself sufficient time, however, as you will have to transit over to Terminal 5 for your LX flight. That involves a train ride and re-clearing security, w/o PreCheck available. You'll have plenty of time, just don't cut it too finely, since O'Hare is notoriously unpredictable.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox
Yes, you will have access. When you arrive in Terminal 1, you can go straight to the Polaris lounge, show them your ORD-ZRH boarding pass, and you'll be allowed in.

Make sure that you leave yourself sufficient time, however, as you will have to transit over to Terminal 5 for your LX flight. That involves a train ride and re-clearing security, w/o PreCheck available. You'll have plenty of time, just don't cut it too finely, since O'Hare is notoriously unpredictable.
They don't have anymore that Terminal Transfer Bus from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
They don't have anymore that Terminal Transfer Bus from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5?
Huh! Well don't I feel like an idiot... had absolutely no idea that such a thing existed. (Though, in my defense, it seems like it's only existed since the middle of last year... )

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myfl...s/default.aspx

However, in all honesty, I'm not entirely certain that the walk from the Polaris club to Gate G17 or K20 is going to be any faster than taking the train!! Does avoid the additional trip through TSA security, though. Learn something new everyday...
kirkwoodj and chavala like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
The bus is only for AA and AA partners.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by revigik

Then it's weird that the flychicago web site does not specify this. But you are right in the sense that the only reason I recalled about the bus is that, when I learned about this option, I was flying to LHR on BA.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by revigik

NO

Last spring (2017) pilot program was BA only
Last summer 2017 program extended to AA and OW
Last fall open to EVERYONE and will be coming to T1 probably sometime in Spring 2018

I took the bus Nov 29th from T3 to T5 to fly EVA with no issues

I talked to both the person checking boarding passes and the Bus attendant and they both mentioned quite a few Star Alliance people taking the bus

The Bus ends service at 8PM though

EDIT: - Be sure to checkin with the LX desk as soon as it opens. EVA was ill prepared to deal with someone who bypassed the check in desk in T5. They took the time to make sure our luggage was on the flight etc, but bypassing the check in in T5 meant they had no idea we were there. I am not sure if LX is the same way, but *A seems to be a bit behind in catching up to the bus service.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Then it's weird that the flychicago web site does not specify this. But you are right in the sense that the only reason I recalled about the bus is that, when I learned about this option, I was flying to LHR on BA.
It's now a bus that's available for anyone connecting to a flight out of T5 and not restricted to AA partners.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung
It's now a bus that's available for anyone connecting to a flight out of T5 and not restricted to AA partners.
Thank you for letting us know. And also thank you Hipplewm. It will be really helpful for the OP as I think that before a long haul flight it's better to walk to the bus (exercise before sitting down for many hours) rather than taking the train and getting stuck in the security line. The last time we had to enter in Terminal 5 on a Saturday at 3 PM, the line was so long that my wife asked me to go to the BA counter and ask the price of the TODs. I came back without having taken the TODs offered. My wife then went to the BA counter and 5 minutes later came back with 2 Business Class boarding passes. And the BA agent pointed to her the other agent that was helping BA Business Class passengers to the front of the line.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 17, 2018 at 6:22 pm Reason: Had not seen that another FTer also gave the information
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:47 pm

Thank you for letting us know. And also thank you Hipplewm. It will be really helpful for the OP as I think that before a long haul flight it's better to walk to the bus (exercise before sitting down for many hours) rather than taking the train and getting stuck in the security line. The last time we had to enter in Terminal 5 on a Saturday at 3 PM, the line was so long that my wife asked me to go to the BA counter and ask the price of the TODs. I came back without having taken the TODs offered. My wife then went to the BA counter and 5 minutes later came back with 2 Business Class boarding passes. And the BA agent pointed to her the other agent that was helping BA Business Class passengers to the front of the line.

A few tips:

Most likely, no one in the PL will know jack .... about the bus
When you get to the end of T3 where the bus supposedly is, there are stair on your left - go down, the bus pick up is on the ground level
You need BP and passport to board
As I said earlier, be sure to check in at the desk when LX mans it or they may not know you are there....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.