Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

36. (1979) It’s been a great weekend in Las Vegas but now duty calls in Baltimore. You’ve got a late afternoon appointment in Glen Burnie and it just so happens that there’s a one-stop redeye that’ll get you into Baltimore mid-morning. Your ability to sleep on airplanes is legendary, so this flight will be perfect! Identify the airline, aircraft and the stop.
It's not Ozark via STL, but it is a twin engine jet...

43. (1989) It used to bethat the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.
US Air 737-300 has been identified. The other airline operated a 727-200 on this route...
36. Baltimore as the destination here has now jogged my memory a bit.....and Texas International had been introducing some interesting new routes before this little ole airline from the Lone Star state and its fleet of DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft were folded into Continental. I also think TI operated nonstop DC9-30 service from Las Vegas to both Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston Intercontinental at one point. So perhaps this flight stopped in Texas. But was the stop made at DFW or IAH? I'll go with DFW here.

43. Wild guess time.....Eastern operating B727-200 service from Albuquerque to Tucson with this flight possibly originating in Atlanta.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
43. (1989) It used to bethat the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.
US Air 737-300 has been identified. The other airline operated a 727-200 on this route...

How about Continental for the other ABQ-TUS

Although this route is right in Continental's back yard, alas, it was not Continental. It was an airline not generally thought of when it comes to nonstop flights between cities in this region...

53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?

Northwest, MSP-ORD (lost the mental coin flip)

YES!! Here's the schedule for the single daily flight...

Northwest NW 443 Chicago (ORD) 400p-514p Minneapolis (MSP) 747-100 Daily
Old May 14, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.

How about America West via Phoenix on an Airbus A320-200?

That's one I wouldn't have thought of right off the bat - but it's a good one. Unfortunately, it's not the airline or aircraft operating this particular route or flight in 1995. Please, guess again!
Old May 14, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
TWA is the airline of record. It wasn't JFK-PHX or PIT-LAX

I think we're left with Cincinnati/CVG - LAX

Yes we are. Good call, J

Trans World TW 159 Cincinnati (CVG) 530p-654p D Los Angeles (LAX) CVR-880 Daily

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.

I don't recall that HP ever served MSY except via Continental code-share ... but speaking of CO, a 737-524 via Houston/IAH is a logical idea

Another excellent guess - especially given Continental's longtime presence in both cities. But NO! It was a different airline operating a different aircraft type along a different routing. Please, guess again!
Old May 14, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
36. (1979) It’s been a great weekend in Las Vegas but now duty calls in Baltimore. You’ve got a late afternoon appointment in Glen Burnie and it just so happens that there’s a one-stop redeye that’ll get you into Baltimore mid-morning. Your ability to sleep on airplanes is legendary, so this flight will be perfect! Identify the airline, aircraft and the stop.

Baltimore as the destination here has now jogged my memory a bit.....and Texas International had been introducing some interesting new routes before this little ole airline from the Lone Star state and its fleet of DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft were folded into Continental. I also think TI operated nonstop DC9-30 service from Las Vegas to both Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston Intercontinental at one point. So perhaps this flight stopped in Texas. But was the stop made at DFW or IAH? I'll go with DFW here.

When it comes to DC-9-30 service out of Vegas to the East Coast, I can't think of any other airlines, especially given that Midwest Express was still a few years away. So, as the old slogan used to day - "Yes, Sir! Texas International!"

Texas International TI 710 Las Vegas (LAS) 155a-615a Dallas (DFW) 750a-1122a B Baltimore (BAL) DC-9-30 Daily

Wild guess time.....Eastern operating B727-200 service from Albuquerque to Tucson with this flight possibly originating in Atlanta.

An excellent guess. I once flew an Eastern 727-200 PHX-ABQ-ATL. The Tucson service routed through DFW at that time. But in 1989, in this instance, it was ANOTHER AIRLINE Please, guess again!
Old May 14, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

US Air 737-300 has been identified. The other airline operated a 727-200 on this route... It was not EA or CO
43. El wild-oh guess-oh numero two-oh, Senor...... TWA
Old May 14, 2020, 2:36 pm

I can't compete with you professional travellers for longest flights, with all my trips being currently under 7000 miles.
Must get out more when conditions allow:

6896 miles, Buenos Aires EZE - London LGW, British Airways B747-400
6565 miles, London LHR - Kuala Lumpur (old), Malaysia Airlines B747-400
5974 miles, London LHR - Tokyo NRT, Virgin Atlantic A340-300
5863 miles, London LHR - Sao Paulo GRU, TAM B777-300ER
5829 miles, Sao Paulo GRU - Paris CDG, Air France A330-200
5806 miles, LAX - Frankfurt, Lufthansa B747-800
5805 miles, Tokyo NRT - Amsterdam, KLM B777-200
5709 miles, Bangkok (old) - Amsterdam, China Airlines MD-11

KT

Last edited by KT550; May 15, 2020 at 2:43 am Reason: EZE-LGW corrected
Old May 14, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
US Air 737-300 has been identified. The other airline operated a 727-200 on this route... It was not EA or CO or TW

El wild-oh guess-oh numero two-oh, Senor...... TWA

Nope. Strike 2. Please, try again!
Old May 14, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
43- I sure can't imagine United with ABQ-TUS as a tag from DEN or on the way to SFO, and iirc AA's westbound services from DFW were pretty much all flown with MD-80s ... was it maybe one of Braniff's last-gasp route additions out of MCI?
Old May 14, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....How about a listing of our LONGEST flights? Surely one of you must have flown the EWR-SIN marathon or perhaps even the Doha to Auckland flight?
Here's my summary.....

A bunch of long flights over large bodies of water on board such airlines as Air France, Air Tahiti Nui, American, Austrian, British Airways, Continental, Delta, KLM, Lufthansa, Northwest, Qantas, Swissair and United with a few flights in first class, many in business class, several in premium economy and the remainder in the nether regions located somewhere in the back of the bus.....but nothing like what Seat 2A has experienced.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US Air 737-300 has been identified. The other airline operated a 727-200 on this route... It was not EA or CO or TW

I sure can't imagine United with ABQ-TUS as a tag from DEN or on the way to SFO, and iirc AA's westbound services from DFW were pretty much all flown with MD-80s ... Was it maybe one of Braniff's last-gasp route additions out of MCI?

Yep - strange though it sounds, Braniff was the other airline with a single daily nonstop 727-200
Old May 14, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KT550
I can't compete with you professional travellers for longest flights, with all my trips being currently under 7000 miles.
Must get out more when conditions allow
Los Angeles to Sydney, 7,511 miles. Qantas 747-400. Amazingly, that was in 1996.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Los Angeles to Sydney, 7,511 miles. Qantas 747-400. Amazingly, that was in 1996.
And in more recent airline news, Emirates CEO Tim Clark recently said in an interview "We know the A380 is over, the 747 is over but the A350 and 787 will always have a place".

Plus, Delta CEO Ed Bastian has now announced the airline will remove all eighteen 777 aircraft from its fleet by the end of this year and will rely instead on its A330 and A350 aircraft for long haul flying.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
back to business on this Friday morning

49. (1989) Your old college buddy from Carnegie Mellon University has called to let you know he’s recently come upon a pair of tickets to this weekend’s Steelers game against the Patriots. Wanna go?! Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows a single airline offering two daily direct flights between your hometown airport in Melbourne, FL and Pittsburgh. Both flights make the same two stops along the way, and in terms of total travel time either one would time out about the same as if you’d made a 1.5 hour connection in Atlanta. You decide to book a seat on the early evening flight and call your buddy with the good news. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops. And if you’re really up for it, the score of the game.
49- even though I have whiffed on my last two attempts with Continental, I think they are worth one more attempt here ... the second stop would doubtless have been at the Newark/EWR hub, with the first a short tag to someplace like Jacksonville/JAX ... I don't think the routing would support 140-some seats on a 72S, so I'll offer that the jet was a 737-200
Old May 15, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

49. (1989) Your old college buddy from Carnegie Mellon University has called to let you know he’s recently come upon a pair of tickets to this weekend’s Steelers game against the Patriots. Wanna go?! Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows a single airline offering two daily direct flights between your hometown airport in Melbourne, FL and Pittsburgh. Both flights make the same two stops along the way, and in terms of total travel time either one would time out about the same as if you’d made a 1.5 hour connection in Atlanta. You decide to book a seat on the early evening flight and call your buddy with the good news. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops. And if you’re really up for it, the score of the game.

Even though I have whiffed on my last two attempts with Continental, I think they are worth one more attempt here ... the second stop would doubtless have been at the Newark/EWR hub, with the first a short tag to someplace like Jacksonville/JAX ... I don't think the routing would support 140-some seats on a 72S, so I'll offer that the jet was a 737-200

Way to start the festivities with a most reasonable guess indeed. Didn't Continental run a mini-hub for its Continental Lite operation out of Greensboro? In any event, that was a couple of years later. The flight we're looking for was not operated by Continental, did not operate with a 737 of any variant and - as if that weren't enough - flew along a completely different routing. Please, guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.