Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Great questions, JL! You've got everybody swinging and missing ^

Hopefully this'll be a hit...

47. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Hamilton, Ontario in Canada to a destination in Florida at this time, you could do so but only twice a week. What airline would you call, what would be your destination in Florida and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? It wasn't Nordair or Nationair and the equipment wasn't a B737-200 or a Super DC8-61.This nonstop service was operated between YHM and FLL.

How about an airline I recently flew upon - Air Transat with a 727-200.

45. In 1987, if you wanted to depart from Palm Springs on board a DC9-10, what airline would you call and where would you fly to nonstop? And there was only one nonstop destination served by the airline in question from PSP at this time.
It wasn't Sunworld and the destination wasn't LAS.

Let's give Republic Airlines a go, flying to Phoenix
Great to have you up to bat, Seat 2A, and hope your latest journey is going well!

47. Strike one! It wasn't Air Transat and the equipment wasn't a B727-200.....

45. Strike two! It wasn't Republic and the flight in question did not go to PHX.....

However, the next time you're up to bat, I have a feeling you'll then find yourself quickly standing on second base.....
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ
49 - if it was not Mirabel, I guess it was BOS.
49. Yep, it sure was.....and here are the London City Airways and Sabena scheds.....

II/SN 992: London City (LCY) 8:30a - 10:35a Brussels (BRU)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Equip: DHC-7 Dash 7

Connecting to.....

SN 531: Brussels (BRU) 11:30a - 1:10p Boston (BOS) 2:00p (est.) - 4:45p Atlanta (ATL)
Freq: Daily except Mondays and Wednesdays
Equip: DC-10-30 Combi
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
You are right, it is ...
Very glad a tree limb has never fallen on my M4. The top is made of carbon fiber (no sunroof) and while it is very nice to look at (and more importantly saves weight) I have a feeling the results of an impact created by a heavy piece of wood would not be pretty.....
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
38. Texas International, MCI-DFW-IAH-MOB, with a DC-9

48. AA DC-10 DTW-DFW-PHX
38. You are almost there as it indeed was Texas International operating a DC9-10. However, this flight did not stop at Houston Intercontinental so please guess again!

48. A very logical guess....but it wasn't American, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 and the flight did not stop at Dallas/Fort Worth.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Very glad a tree limb has never fallen on my M4. The top is made of carbon fiber (no sunroof) and while it is very nice to look at (and more importantly saves weight) I have a feeling the results of an impact created by a heavy piece of wood would not be pretty.....
Supposedly very strong though somewhat more brittle than metal (non-ductile in the least). The same impact that will dent metal may just result in scratches and mars on CF. Isn't that why the 787 is mostly CF? I'd wager the windshield frame will feel the effects more!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Supposedly very strong though somewhat more brittle than metal (non-ductile in the least). The same impact that will dent metal may just result in scratches and mars on CF. Isn't that why the 787 is mostly CF? I'd wager the windshield frame will feel the effects more!
I'll take your word on this but I hope I do not find out!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
47. Question is what airlines had scheduled authority in those days, on that route. I'll guess Air Canada with a 727-200 (and IIR patterns of these sun flights, flew down Th and Su late PM, returning Fr and Mo early AM).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:41 am

38. You are almost there as it indeed was Texas International operating a DC9-10. However, this flight did not stop at Houston Intercontinental so please guess again!

48. A very logical guess....but it wasn't American, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 and the flight did not stop at Dallas/Fort Worth.
For question 38, my next guess for the second stop is MSY.

For question 48, I'll try a United 737-300 via DEN.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

47. Question is what airlines had scheduled authority in those days, on that route. I'll guess Air Canada with a 727-200 (and IIR patterns of these sun flights, flew down Th and Su late PM, returning Fr and Mo early AM).
47. Ah, we've already ruled out the B727-200.....but Air Canada is correct! And as for the equipment, AC was flying a DC9-30 on this service which was operated southbound only on the weekends. Here's the sched.....

AC 084: Hamilton (YHM) 3:45p - 6:30p Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Freq: Saturdays and Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: D9S
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
For question 38, my next guess for the second stop is MSY.

For question 48, I'll try a United 737-300 via DEN.
38. Yep! Here's the sched.....

TI 407: Kansas City (MCI) 6:45p - 8:05p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 8:35p - 9:45p New Orleans (MSY) 10:07p - 10:38p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily MCI-MSY, daily except Saturdays MSY-MOB
Service class: S
Equip: DC9

BTW, there was still quite a bit of nonstop jet service from MSY to MOB at this time with three airlines operating a combined total of nine flights every weekday. Texas International was operating three flights a day, two with the DC9-10 and one with a DC9-30, Republic was operating four flights a day, three with the DC9-10 and one with a DC9-30, and good old National was hanging in there with two flights a day, one with a B727-100 and the other with a B727-200.

48. Nope! It wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a B737-300 and the stop was not made at Denver.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
52. Now you are in Milwaukee and need to travel to Los Angeles for a meeting the next morning. There's a flight departing MKE in the mid afternoon that will get you into LAX by early evening with one stop being made en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't Northwest or Midwest Express, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 or MD-80 and the stop was not made at LAS.
52- how about Midway Airlines, aboard a McDonnell Douglas MD-87, with the stop at (of course) the namesake airport (MDW)

... 53. Well, yes, America West did serve Kansas City (MCI).....however, our flight in question did not stop there. Please guess again, sir!
53- iirc, HP also served Omaha (OMA) from the east coast for awhile

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
52- how about Midway Airlines, aboard a McDonnell Douglas MD-87, with the stop at (of course) the namesake airport (MDW)

53- iirc, HP also served Omaha (OMA) from the east coast for awhile
52. Correct! Here's the sched......

ML 924: Milwaukee (MKE) 3:20p - 4:00p Chicago Midway (MDW) 4:55p - 7:20p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service class: I believe Midway was operating the MD-87 in single class configuration at this time. Please see comment below....
Meal service: Dinner MDW-LAX
Equip: MD-87

Here's the Midway Airlines print ad announcing the new nonstop service between Chicago Midway and Los Angeles which was operated exclusively by ML with newly delivered MD-87 equipment as this aircraft type had the range to operate with full loads between MDW and LAX......

MLhollywood89

I think Midway was operating the MD-87 in single class configuration at this time. Their 1988 annual report states these new aircraft were planned to be delivered with 133 seats. However, a seat chart from the early 1990's depicts the Midway MD-87 aircraft with two cabins with 18 seats in first class and 97 seats in coach. So I believe Midway initially operated their MD-87 aircraft in single class config and then later switched to a two class config.

53. Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2020 at 12:38 pm Reason: added Midway Airlines print ad & MD-87 seating config comments
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I wonder if it is coated to resist lightning like the 787. There was some interesting video of what happens if it isn't.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I wonder if it is coated to resist lightning like the 787. There was some interesting video of what happens if it isn't.
I hope I don't find out the hard way concerning this possibility, either......
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA
(in 1989) … 54. "From Mexico City to Mobile" sounds like a song that Jimmy Buffett might have written and performed.....and that precisely sums up your travel plans. Surprisingly, there is a direct flight from MEX to MOB which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
The only carrier that I think traditionally served both places was Eastern, but even there I think from Mobile they only did northward to Atlanta, while East-West had been National country. I can't see Pan Am still carrying on with this at such a late date, so I'll guess an upstart. Lets go for American, with a 727 Mexico-Dallas-New Orleans-Mobile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.