Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
A perfect description of the WHBM household.
Indeed....and I stand ready to personally confirm that observation.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

As always, please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And please be specific as possible with regard to aircraft types. When in doubt, let the OAG equipment codes be your guide.

The time line for the following four quiz items is 1989.....

22. You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. The airline was Pan Am and the connection was made at JFK. The equipment on the first flight wasn't a 747. The equipment on the second flight was a B727-200. The stop made by the second flight wasn't DTW or ORD. And a couple of hints can be found in post # 20384.

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 at this time, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS?

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

25. If you wanted to fly into Beijing (PEK) on board a BAC One-Eleven, you could do so once a week. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the city it originated from. ANSWERED

26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. It wasn't TWA and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. The air carrier in question was a new start up that operated a mainline aircraft type larger than a D9S.

27. It's still 1996 and you are on your way in first class from Anchorage (ANC) to Denver (DEN) on board a flight which operates six days a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

29. In 2002 this air carrier was operating a four engine jet on international services which was configured with three different classes of service, being first, business and economy. First class was configured with two seats on each side of the cabin (2-2 seating layout) while business class was configured with three seats on each side of the cabin (3-3 seating layout). Identify this jet and the airline that operated it.

30. What airline based in Latin America was still operating the BAC One-Eleven in 2002? ANSWERED
Moving along a bit slowly here but hopefully still moving......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 16, 2020 at 5:54 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BA
30. What airline based in Latin America was still operating the BAC One-Eleven in 2002?
Tikal Jets in Guatemala ?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tikal Jets in Guatemala ?
30. Correct! Here's a photo of the grand old girl taken during the fall of 2002......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Tika...-Eleven/334956

And a little over two years later, she did not look quite so grand.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Tika...-Eleven/729298

I believe this particular aircraft was delivered new to American Airlines way back in the day.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Let's go with the obvious choice for starters - TWA with a DC-9-30

On a separate note, it's good to hear that Hurricane Sally diverted to the east, thus sparring Louisiana "up to two feet of rain". What a continent we live upon - hurricanes ravaging the southeast, widespread wildfires burning throughout the west coast, winter storm warnings here in Alaska... Home sweet home...

Yesterday, I found an available Business Class award seat between Honolulu and Nadi via Kiritimati (Christmas Island) on Fiji Airways' 737-800 and then Business Class home two weeks later via SFO on the A330-300. So I booked them. Two weeks at my favorite Fijian resort up in Pacific Harbor... Ah... It all sounds good and apparently the Fijians are allowing Americans into the country but there's much more to do before this trip becomes reality. I'd like to stop over at CXI but at present service is pretty spotty - as in weekly or even more time between flights. Still, how often do you get a chance to fly to or through Christmas Island?!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 15, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

26. Let's go with the obvious choice for starters - TWA with a DC-9-30

On a separate note, it's good to hear that Hurricane Sally diverted to the east, thus sparring Louisiana "up to two feet of rain". What a continent we live upon - hurricanes ravaging the southeast, widespread wildfires burning throughout the west coast, winter storm warnings here in Alaska... Home sweet home...
26. A very logical guess.....however, it wasn't TWA. And the air carrier in question was actually an obscure new start up that operated a mainline aircraft type larger than the DC9-30. Plus, besides operating a couple of routes in the U.S. midwest, they also operated a route in the Caribbean. Please guess again, sir!

Turning to the weather.....

Very thankfully, Hurricane Sally has turned out to be a non-event in Lafayette with New Orleans being spared as well. We have yet to receive one drop of rain here in LFT from Sally with all hurricane warnings for Louisiana having now been discontinued. And it appears the first cold front (well, cool front) of the season just might arrive here by this weekend.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:23 pm

25. If you wanted to fly into Beijing (PEK) on board a BAC One-Eleven, you could do so once a week. Identify the airline that operated this flight and the city it originated from.
The only One-Eleven operator I can recall that was even within striking distance of Beijing by then would be Philippine Airlines. Now I do recall that China and Philippines at that time were not on official speaking terms, so there wouldn't be much agreed service, and what demand there was would just route through Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. So let's go for them from Manila. I'm surprised a One-Eleven had the range, but then I was surprised one was doing Gatwick to Tripoli as well.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
27. It's still 1996 and you are on your way in first class from Anchorage (ANC) to Denver (DEN) on board a flight which operates six days a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
27- for a first guess, how about Reno Air via Seattle/SEA, San Jose/SJC, and Reno/RNO ... QQ mainly operated an MD-80 fleet, but they also had the far less ubiquitous MD-87 and MD-90, so just for grins I'll offer that this was the little guy
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only One-Eleven operator I can recall that was even within striking distance of Beijing by then would be Philippine Airlines. Now I do recall that China and Philippines at that time were not on official speaking terms, so there wouldn't be much agreed service, and what demand there was would just route through Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. So let's go for them from Manila. I'm surprised a One-Eleven had the range, but then I was surprised one was doing Gatwick to Tripoli as well.
25. Correct! The OAG lists just two direct flights a week at this time from Manila to Beijing, one operated by CAAC with a B737-200 and the other operated by Philippine Airlines with a BAC One-Eleven. And I think the aircraft in question was actually a stretched Super One-Eleven series 500 as Philippines may have retired their standard One-Eleven aircraft by 1989. As for the range, the flight made an intermediate stop in Xiamen which appears to be located roughly halfway between Manila and Beijing. Here's the sched.....

PR 330: Manila (MNL) 2:45p - 5:05p (est.) Xiamen (XMN) 5:55p (est.) - 8:40p Beijing Capital Intl. (PEK....or was it BJS?)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service class: Y
Equip: B11

Here's a photo of a Philippines Super One-Eleven taken in 1989......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Phil...zo7uf9/98OtMzO
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
27- for a first guess, how about Reno Air via Seattle/SEA, San Jose/SJC, and Reno/RNO ... QQ mainly operated an MD-80 fleet, but they also had the far less ubiquitous MD-87 and MD-90, so just for grins I'll offer that this was the little guy
27. All correct here except for the second stop which was not made at San Jose (SJC).
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
27.. Wager the 2nd stop was PDX.

I just had it in my mind that QQ flew to COS instead of DEN.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Yesterday, I found an available Business Class award seat between Honolulu and Nadi via Kiritimati (Christmas Island) on Fiji Airways' 737-800 and then Business Class home two weeks later via SFO on the A330-300. So I booked them. Two weeks at my favorite Fijian resort up in Pacific Harbor... Ah... It all sounds good and apparently the Fijians are allowing Americans into the country but there's much more to do before this trip becomes reality. I'd like to stop over at CXI but at present service is pretty spotty - as in weekly or even more time between flights. Still, how often do you get a chance to fly to or through Christmas Island?!
There are two Christmas Islands, the better served one is an Australian territory in the Indian Ocean, served from Perth and also Singapore, it's about equal between them.

I first read of aviation at the one you are going to, the Pacific one, in a lengthy article in Propliner magazine #28, in 1986, when there were still no scheduled flights there. It's an old RAF base from the 1940s and 1950s, when Avro Yorks from UK independents like Skyways or Dan-Air used to stagger over there via all sorts of points, sometimes via Singapore, sometimes out through Canada. It's not far off an equal distance from London either way round. In 1986 there was some requirement to do some detailed aerial mapping, and an aircraft was needed to fly the heavy instruments, do the 1,500 miles south from Honolulu, make a series of calibration flights over a couple of days, and fly back to Honolulu, all without refuelling, as there was none on the island then. Any ideas what type (should have been a quiz question) ? Cue one of the last DC-7Cs, chartered from Miami. Loaded up in Honolulu, including the article writer, got to where the island should be, but no sign. Set up a search pattern, finally spotted the island, did a visual low pass, and landed. Turned out the (one and only) airport operator, meant to have started up the NDB radio for them to home in on, had gone fishing ...

So enjoy your trip to what seems the nearest to Gilligans Island you can likely fly to. Look out on the coral strip airport runway, with the blue Pacific beyond, and imagine 60 years ago those Dan-Air Avro Yorks thundering slowly down it, just about managing to take off with heavy military freight loads back to London. Their onetime one in Duxford museum must have been there

http://www.danairremembered.com/avro-york.php
jlemon and strickerj like this.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 16, 2020 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
27.. Wager the 2nd stop was PDX.

I just had it in my mind that QQ flew to COS instead of DEN.
27. And you have won your wager! Here's the sched.....

QQ 606: Anchorage (ANC) 12:35a - 5:10a Seattle (SEA) 6:00a - 6:45a Portland (PDX) 7:15a - 8:35a Reno (RNO) 9:05a - 12:15p Denver (DEN)
Freq: Daily except Sun.
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: MD-87
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There are two Christmas Islands, the better served one is an Australian territory in the Indian Ocean, served from Perth and also Singapore, it's about equal between them.
For some inexplicable reason, a pre-independent Singapore was saddled with this Christmas Island (home to lots of land crabs?), but didn't have the resources to assert sovereignty so the territory was transferred to Australia. A distance relative of mine (found out the exact relationship a few years ago; husband of a paternal great aunt) was the First Minister of the administration that was involved the transfer.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As always, please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And please be specific as possible with regard to aircraft types. When in doubt, let the OAG equipment codes be your guide.

The time line for the following three quiz items is 1989.....

22. You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. ANSWERED

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 at this time, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS?

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. It wasn't Canadian or Air Nova and the equipment wasn't a B737-200 or DHC-8 Dash 8. The stop was made at YUL.

26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. It wasn't TWA and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. The air carrier in question was a new start up that operated an aircraft type larger than a D9S.

29. In 2002 this air carrier was operating a four engine jet on international services which was configured with three different classes of service, being first, business and economy. First class was configured with two seats on each side of the cabin (2-2 seating layout) while business class was configured with three seats on each side of the cabin (3-3 seating layout). Identify this jet and the airline that operated it. ANSWERED
And now, an OTAQ&D travel advisory.....

We will be departing early next week on an extended vacation road trip to Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Therefore, I will issue a last call for # 22, # 24 and # 26 as they are in play with the answers to be provided this Sunday should there be no takers. And should there be no response for the other two above, I'll remove them this Sunday and then resubmit them in the future.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 19, 2020 at 4:16 pm Reason: answer updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.