Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
As always, please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And please be specific as possible with regard to aircraft types. When in doubt, let the OAG equipment codes be your guide.

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 in 1989, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS? ANSWERED

24. It's still 1989 and you are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED
Just three to go here with answers to be provided this evening should there be no takers......and all now ANSWERED.

Meantime, we are very intently watching Tropical Storm Beta this morning which is spinning in the Gulf of Mexico south of Louisiana and wondering how much rainfall we will receive from the system......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 21, 2020 at 9:57 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA
24. It's still 1989 and you are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. It wasn't Canadian or Air Nova and the equipment wasn't a B737-200, DHC-8 Dash 8 or BAe 146. The aircraft was a jet and the stop was made at Montreal Dorval (YUL).
Straightforward Air Canada DC9-30 Moncton-Montreal-Toronto ?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:26 pm

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 in 1989, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS?
Could this be Eagle Airlines (or Eagle Canyon Airlines) from Las Vegas?

I though they only did charters or sightseeing flights but maybe they did a sched for a short time.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
24. It's still 1989 and you are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. It wasn't Canadian or Air Nova and the equipment wasn't a B737-200, DHC-8 Dash 8 or BAe 146. The aircraft was a jet and the stop was made at Montreal Dorval (YUL).
24. Ah, it wasn't Mapleflot.....er, AC.....and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Could this be Eagle Airlines (or Eagle Canyon Airlines) from Las Vegas?

I though they only did charters or sightseeing flights but maybe they did a sched for a short time.
23. That's an excellent guess! However, the air carrier in question wasn't Eagle Canyon and the flight did not depart from Las Vegas or from the Grand Canyon for that matter. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23- I’m thinking this F27 operator has to be a Mexican carrier, coming up from Guaymas (or, more likely, Hermosillo (HMO) as an intermediate stop) ... Aero California is the only one that comes to mind even though I can’t place them with anything smaller than a DC9
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
24. It's still 1989 and you are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.
Last stab. Inter-Canadien with a F28.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Sep 20, 2020 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:46 pm

24. Ah, it wasn't Mapleflot.....er, AC.....and the equipment wasn't a DC9-30. Please guess again, sir!
OK, we've got rid of Air Canada and Canadian. Operating on Montreal-Toronto, I seem to recall old Air Atonabee, who were behind rebuilding De Havilland Herons into the Saunders ST-27 conversion, bought out the Inter Canadian local service operator of Canadian Airlines, and began competing with them with a new fleet of Fokker 100s, some of the first introduced, under the name of Intair. It didn't last and Intair went under. The F100s then came over to Air UK.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
23- I’m thinking this F27 operator has to be a Mexican carrier, coming up from Guaymas (or, more likely, Hermosillo (HMO) as an intermediate stop) ... Aero California is the only one that comes to mind even though I can’t place them with anything smaller than a DC9
23. Yep, it was a Mexican air carrier with nonstop service from Hermosillo. However, the airline in question wasn't Aero California.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Last stab. Inter-Canadien with a F28.
24. Yet another great guess! But it wasn't Inter-Canadien and the aircraft wasn't a Fokker F.28 Fellowship.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, we've got rid of Air Canada and Canadian. Operating on Montreal-Toronto, I seem to recall old Air Atonabee, who were behind rebuilding De Havilland Herons into the Saunders ST-27 conversion, bought out the Inter Canadian local service operator of Canadian Airlines, and began competing with them with a new fleet of Fokker 100s, some of the first introduced, under the name of Intair. It didn't last and Intair went under. The F100s then came over to Air UK.
24. Correct! Here's the sched.....

ND 483: Moncton (YQM) 7:10a - 7:30a Montreal Dorval (YUL) 8:00a - 9:10a Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily except Sun.
Service class: Y
Meal service: Breakfast YQM-YUL & YUL-YYZ
Equip: Fokker 100

And yep, Intair used the two letter airline code formerly used by Nordair.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:12 pm

I believe Air Atonabee/Intair had bought out the Inter Canadian operation, and that included the old ND retired code. The previous Inter Canadian had used the CP code of course, which was now being used by what traded as Canadian but was technically Pacific Western, who had bought out CP Air and took over their code. All a bit mixed up.

The number of airlines which over time have had a go at the Air Canada dominance on Montreal to Toronto and lost must be considerable.

Those Fokker 100s came over to Air UK, later rebadged as KLM UK, and finally KLM, but to the end of the Fokker 100s time at KLM, not too long ago, they had onetime Air UK (possibly even from Air Anglia or British Island, maybe even onetime British United) pilots, based at UK airports.

They had Amsterdam-based pilots as well of course, of which the best known was the King of Netherlands - genuinely. He had inevitably done time in his younger years in the Netherlands Air Force, becoming aircrew, and carried on with KLM afterwards for a day or two each month, as co-pilot, for many years on the F100s into UK regional airports. When the F100, the last Dutch-built airliner (which of course had therefore been initially favoured by him), was finally phased out he retrained on 737s. He does inevitably know a good number of KLM captains from their time together in the air force long ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-airline-pilot

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 20, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. If you wanted to fly into Tucson (TUS) on board a Fokker F.27 in 1989, what airline would you call and where would you depart from nonstop to TUS?

26. In 1996, this air carrier was operating the only nonstop service from St. Louis (STL) to Flint (FNT) and was doing so with mainline jet equipment with two flights every weekday. Name the airline and the aircraft type.
Time to close these two out......

23. The Mexican-based air carrier was Aviacion del Noroste. They also served Phoenix as well with the Fokker F.27 Friendship in 1989. At one point, it appears they may have been affiliated with TAESA and apparently operated a Boeing 737-500 provided by this other Mexican airline.

26. This new startup airline was Prestige Airways (OI) operating Boeing 727-200 aircraft. Routes in the midwest U.S. also included St. Louis (STL) - Chicago Midway (MDW) and Flint (FNT) - Chicago Midway (MDW) . It appears they served Newark (EWR) as well at one point and were also operating a Miami (MIA) - St. Thomas (STT) - St. Croix (STX) - Miami (MIA) service twice a week. Here's a photo of one of their B727-200 aircraft at MIA.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Pres...7-231/198041/L
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The Mexican-based air carrier was Aviacion del Noroste. They also served Phoenix as well with the Fokker F.27 Friendship in 1989. At one point, it appears they may have been affiliated with TAESA and apparently operated a Boeing 737-500 provided by this other Mexican airline.

Back in 1994 I flew with TAESA between Mexico City and Tijuana. The aircraft was a 737-500 (XA-SAS msn
25191) wearing the blue and green Noroeste livery. All economy class configuration but I remember it being an otherwise nice flight - not cramped seating with 29" pitch like the ultra-low cost carriers. Sadly, due to a late flight I missed out on a chance to fly on SARO's BAC-One Eleven
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well - I have good news and bad news. First, the bad news - North Korea probably has better internet access than I've had around here on our community based system over the past ten days or so. No improvements are in the immediate future.

As for good news, I'm hittin' the road - heading to West Virginia for a road trip through Appalachia. Queue up "Dueling Banjos" with a reasonable expectation of improved internet access at the mostly corporate hotels I'll be staying at each night.

So - should any of you feel up to regaling us with a few questions of your own, head on over to timetableimages.com or departedflights.com and sift through the plethora of schedules to see what you can come up with. I believe JL will be on the road for another ten days or so and I won't be home continuously until November 1st, so there's plenty of time to work with.

And with that I'll wish you all continued good health and a pretty fall season.

All the best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.