Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by GoldenArgosy
Air Cal stopping in Orange County.
31. Correct! Here's the complete sched operated by AirCal.....

OC 2097: San Jose (SJC) 2:25p - 3:33p Long Beach (LGB) 4:00p - 4:20p Orange County (SNA) 5:15p - 11:10p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner SNA-ORD
Equip: B737-300

And the days of AirCal operating as an independent air carrier were numbered......

http://www.departedflights.com/OC050187p2.html
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Los Cabos.
42. Si, it was El Wabo Los Cabos. Here's the sched....

MX 854: Los Cabos (SJD) 4:25p - 7:25p Denver (DEN)
Freq: Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: Fokker 100
Note: MX 854 originated at MEX
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
30. You are in Cedar Rapids and need to travel to Midland/Odessa. You've found a direct flight operated with a jet that operates daily and makes three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

I remember posting a question similar to this but from somewhere in Iowa to El Paso. The airline of record there was America West and that would seem to make sense here as well. I also recently posted a different question about HP offering the only service between LBB and MAF but I don't remember the timeline and I'm too lazy to scroll back and check it out despite my blazing internet connection here in Healy, Alaska. Let's open the bidding with America West operating a 737-200 routing CID-OMA-PHX-LBB-MAF
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
30. You are in Cedar Rapids and need to travel to Midland/Odessa. You've found a direct flight operated with a jet that operates daily and makes three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I remember posting a question similar to this but from somewhere in Iowa to El Paso. The airline of record there was America West and that would seem to make sense here as well. I also recently posted a different question about HP offering the only service between LBB and MAF but I don't remember the timeline and I'm too lazy to scroll back and check it out despite my blazing internet connection here in Healy, Alaska. Let's open the bidding with America West operating a 737-200 routing CID-OMA-PHX-LBB-MAF
Has this not been answered yet? It would be Continental Airlines flight 1725 operating with a 737-200 from Cedar Rapids to Midland with en route stops in Lincoln, Denver and Amarillo.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

30. An excellent guess....and the equipment was indeed a B737-200. However, it wasn't America West and stops were not made in Omaha, Phoenix or Lubbock. But stops were made at other locations in Nebraska and Texas.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has this not been answered yet? It would be Continental Airlines flight 1725 operating with a 737-200 from Cedar Rapids to Midland with en route stops in Lincoln, Denver and Amarillo.
30. You are correct.....but here are two observations:

1) We ask that you only answer two quiz items a day in order to allow everyone a chance to participate. This request is stated at the top of my list of quiz items. For example, as you no doubt have noticed, we do have participants outside of the U.S. and this request enables folks in distant time zones to join in.

And 2)....as Seat 2A, the founder of this thread, has stated on several different occasions, we feel it is a lot more fun to actually guess the answers rather than looking them up. Not saying you did in this case but by stating the Continental flight number with your answer, it sounds like you might have done so.

So we do request your consideration with regard to both of the above observations. Thanks!

Here's the sched.....

CO 1725: Cedar Rapids (CID) 3:10p - 4:05p Lincoln (LNK) 4:25p - 4:45p Denver (DEN) 5:40p - 7:45p Amarillo (AMA) 8:15p - 9:10p Midland/Odessa (MAF)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: B737-200
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:10 pm

30. You are correct.....but here are two observations:

1) We ask that you only answer two quiz items a day in order to allow everyone a chance to participate. This request is stated at the top of my list of quiz items. For example, as you no doubt have noticed, we do have participants outside of the U.S. and this request enables folks in distant time zones to join in.

And 2)....as Seat 2A, the founder of this thread, has stated on several different occasions, we feel it is a lot more fun to actually guess the answers rather than looking them up. Not saying you did in this case but by stating the Continental flight number with your answer, it sounds like you might have done so.

So we do request your consideration with regard to both of the above observations. Thanks!
Got it. Consider my participation finished.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Ah ! I hadn't looked this up at all, it was a guess. I see that the timetable is dated right at the start of the Dan-Air takeover of the Aberdeen service. Somebody has obviously thought that as they had an arrangement with Dan-Air for through connections to the daily 747 from Gatwick to Dallas, the same would do with a road connection for the Concorde connection later in the day. Hmmm, this was before the M25 ring motorway opened, so you had to stew through all the traffic of Epsom, Hampton Court and Feltham to get from Gatwick to Heathrow. Concorde stopped at Washington and went on subsonic to Dallas so it ends up taking longer using it than going on the 747. I wonder whyever they did not come to an arrangement for a BA direct connection at Heathrow instead.

Dan-Air had a substantial operation in Aberdeen by this time, not their well-known holiday flights to the Mediterranean (though I'm sure a few of those turned up) but with HS748 aircraft contracted to the various oil companies, I understand up to 10 based there, which did a wide range of operations. I think we discussed these a while ago.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of flying from Aberdeen to London Gatwick on board a Comet operated by Dan-Air with this aircraft being substituted for a One-Eleven and then connecting to the BA/BN Concorde service from London Heathrow to Dallas/Fort Worth via the stop at Washington Dulles. One would have had the opportunity to have flown in two very iconic aircraft!

I also wonder why Braniff International did not make arrangements for its passengers connecting between Gatwick and Heathrow to travel on board the BCal/BA Sikorsky S-61 helicopter shuttle between the two airports (I believe BCal had the licence for these helo shuttle flights and provided the cabin crews and ticketing while BA provided the pilots and the maintenance). As the M25 wasn't yet completed, it obviously would have been much quicker than the complimentary ground transport offered by Braniff International for passengers connecting between LGW and LHR in light of having to drive through several villages.

And we certainly did discuss the oil and gas industry fixed wing shuttle operations at Aberdeen awhile back. BTW, there was a fair amount of oil and gas industry passenger traffic between Aberdeen and Texas back then and to a certain extent there still is at the present time. For example, a company named Bristow comes to mind......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 12, 2020 at 3:36 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
33. (1989) You need to travel from New York City to Seattle. You would also prefer to depart from LaGuardia Airport. Thankfully, you're in no rush and have found an interesting flight which operates daily from LGA and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

33- a few years later I was rebooked onto a Delta 727-200 on a Salt Lake City - Portland - Seattle routing; its not inconceivable that a similar flight might have come in from LGA via one of their smaller hubs (Dallas or Cincinnati) ... for starters, CVG/SLC/PDX
35. (1989) The phone rings and guess who is on the line....."Buddy, it's time for my annual party at the house! Come on out!" This means you need to fly to Santa Barbara and your present location is Atlanta. You think a connection will need to be made but are then surprised to find a direct flight from ATL to SBA which makes two stops en route. Of course, you book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.
35- there were few if any of the majors operating into SBA; how about United, operating via the Denver (DEN) and San Fran (SFO) hubs with a 737-300
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
33- a few years later I was rebooked onto a Delta 727-200 on a Salt Lake City - Portland - Seattle routing; its not inconceivable that a similar flight might have come in from LGA via one of their smaller hubs (Dallas or Cincinnati) ... for starters, CVG/SLC/PDX

35- there were few if any of the majors operating into SBA; how about United, operating via the Denver (DEN) and San Fran (SFO) hubs with a 737-300

Two excellent guesses here...

33. Ah, it wasn't Delta, the aircraft wasn't a B727-200 and stops were not made at Cincinnati, Salt Lake City or Portland.

35. When I think of Santa Barbara and mainline jet service in the past, I think of United. However, in this case it wasn't UA , the stops weren't made at Denver or San Francisco and the equipment wasn't a B737-300.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The next three quiz items have a time line of 1989.....
34. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

I'm a bit stumped on this one as I think I'm missing one stop so probably not the correct answer. When I was college, I took the Pan Am flight that was GUA-LAX-SFO and vice-versa except only for the LAX-SFO-LAX legs. I seem to recall it was an A300. It was much more of a gamble on the northbound leg as the delays on the longer route (GUA-LAX) seemed frequent whereas as the originating flight going SFO-LAX was generally okay. The fares couldn't be beat for the short segment.

However, since this question is asking for two stops enroute from SFO-GUA, I'm going to guess SFO-LAX-MEX-GUA?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
The next three quiz items have a time line of 1989.....
34. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

I'm a bit stumped on this one as I think I'm missing one stop so probably not the correct answer. When I was college, I took the Pan Am flight that was GUA-LAX-SFO and vice-versa except only for the LAX-SFO-LAX legs. I seem to recall it was an A300. It was much more of a gamble on the northbound leg as the delays on the longer route (GUA-LAX) seemed frequent whereas as the originating flight going SFO-LAX was generally okay. The fares couldn't be beat for the short segment.

However, since this question is asking for two stops enroute from SFO-GUA, I'm going to guess SFO-LAX-MEX-GUA?
34. Pan Am is a great guess....and indeed, PA was operating daily A300 service at this time from San Francisco to Guatemala City via a stop at LAX.

However, there was also another airline operating service from SFO to GUA at this same time and the equipment wasn't a wide body. The first stop made by this flight was indeed Los Angeles....however, the second stop wasn't made at Mexico City.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
I really didn’t have a lot of confidence in either guess, but the idea was to narrow the field a bit

33- USAir might be a viable candidate ... they hadn’t finished dismantling the old PSA route network, and they had in fact begun replacing the MD-80s on many of these routes with 737-300 flights originating in the Midwest or near the Atlantic seaboard

working backward from SEA, the last stop could well have been SFO and the second Phoenix/PHX; for the first, I think a smaller destination — what’s now more often termed a “focus city” — is more likely than a major hub ... perhaps Indianapolis/IND

35- an American MD-80, with the first stop of course at DFW, would be my only other logical guess; over the years we’ve occasionally mentioned a few of AA’s intrastate tag routes, and I’m thinking Bakersfield/BFL rings a bell here
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA
I'm intrigued by the possibility of flying from Aberdeen to London Gatwick on board a Comet operated by Dan-Air with this aircraft being substituted for a One-Eleven and then connecting to the BA/BN Concorde service from London Heathrow to Dallas/Fort Worth via the stop at Washington Dulles. One would have had the opportunity to have flown in two very iconic aircraft!
Dan-Air were finally running down their Comet fleet at this time, but they lasted to the end of 1980, when the aircraft were about 20 years old. It's notable that by that time they were regarded by everyone as prehistoric. Nowadays a 20-year old A320 or 737-800 is regarded as perfectly normal.

I also wonder why Braniff International did not make arrangements for its passengers connecting between Gatwick and Heathrow to travel on board the BCal/BA Sikorsky S-61 helicopter shuttle between the two airports ......
Do you know, I'd forgotten about the helicopter link. Do we know Braniff didn't use it, it was just a year old at this time. A bit remiss, because if you look at page 9 of the history of this service, you may find a familiar name https://www.webcitation.org/6DuqTdtd...ks_lgw_lhr.pdf
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I really didnt have a lot of confidence in either guess, but the idea was to narrow the field a bit

33- USAir might be a viable candidate ... they hadnt finished dismantling the old PSA route network, and they had in fact begun replacing the MD-80s on many of these routes with 737-300 flights originating in the Midwest or near the Atlantic seaboard

working backward from SEA, the last stop could well have been SFO and the second Phoenix/PHX; for the first, I think a smaller destination whats now more often termed a focus city is more likely than a major hub ... perhaps Indianapolis/IND

35- an American MD-80, with the first stop of course at DFW, would be my only other logical guess; over the years weve occasionally mentioned a few of AAs intrastate tag routes, and Im thinking Bakersfield/BFL rings a bell here
33. Ah, the equipment in question was indeed a B737-300 and the second stop was Phoenix.....however, the airline we're looking for wasn't USAir and stops were not made at Indianapolis or San Francisco.

35. American operating an MD-80 is correct.....however, the flight in question did not stop in Dallas/Fort Worth or Bakersfield.

And I sense an impending tap in or two here.....so I shall now adjourn to our outside deck on a beautiful, breezy and quite warm afternoon for a properly chilled beverage from Bavaria.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.