Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Bonus Questions: What airline did the above referenced person fly to Stockholm upon? Did he/she travel in Business Class or Economy Class?
as she got her Nobels in 1903 (the same year as the first powered flight) and 1911 my guess would be overland or overwater segments only.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
... UA is PARTIALLY CORRECT for the second flight

as a further hint, other than TT's DC9, there were only a limited number of twin-engine aircraft types plying the skies around AMA in early 1966, and their OAG codes only had two characters
1- well now! your supposition of DEN as the connecting point is CORRECT!

so ... let’s think about other carriers (from researching these questions, there were two that I know of) that operated AMA-XXX-YYY-DEN in early 1966 with something other than a Convair 580

and by the way, for purposes of completeness in answering the entire question, don’t forget about CO ...
time for a pair of HINTS:
  • one of the two AMA-XXX-YYY-DEN operators ran a different Convair type on this route; however, we are looking for the other airline
  • the second flight (DEN-AAA-BBB-PDX) was a UA/CO interchange flight
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA
I've just come up with a single question here. I'll put some more together.

Northwest Airlines bought a fleet of 25 Martin 202 twin-engine 48-seaters in 1947-8. By the end of 1951 five of them had been lost in crashes. Northwest had enough of them then, took them out of service, and sold them off.

Question. What then was the next twin-engined aircraft Northwest bought new, discounting those like the Republic fleet that came with a merger.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I've just come up with a single question here. I'll put some more together.

Northwest Airlines bought a fleet of 25 Martin 202 twin-engine 48-seaters in 1947-8. By the end of 1951 five of them had been lost in crashes. Northwest had enough of them then, took them out of service, and sold them off.

Question. What then was the next twin-engined aircraft Northwest bought new, discounting those like the Republic fleet that came with a merger.
off the top of my head I have to believe this was the 757, ~1985; the A320 was a couple years after that
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I’ll guess this interchange flight was operated with a DC-6B with stops at Salt Lake City and Pendleton.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And the flight in question probably originated in Houston.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
I’ll guess this interchange flight was operated with a DC-6B with stops at Salt Lake City and Pendleton.
1- thanks for picking this up!
DC-6B (iirc OAG code "6B") is CORRECT
SLC is CORRECT
PDT is INCORRECT
And the flight in question probably originated in Houston.
interestingly, the reference timetable shows otherwise
so ... BONUS Q 1A- identify both the city of origin and the intermediate stop for this flight on the way to DEN
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- thanks for picking this up!
DC-6B (iirc OAG code "6B") is CORRECT
SLC is CORRECT
PDT is INCORRECT

interestingly, the reference timetable shows otherwise
so ... BONUS Q 1A- identify both the city of origin and the intermediate stop for this flight on the way to DEN
Let’s go with Boise being the second stop, thus DEN - SLC - BOI - PDX. And I’ll guess the Continental portion of the flight originated in Tulsa with an intermediate stop in Wichita and then on to Denver which was the CO/UA interchange point.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• one of the two AMA-XXX-YYY-DEN operators ran a different Convair type on this route; however, we are looking for the other airline.
I’ll guess Central Airlines operating a Convair 240 Amarillo - Pueblo - Colorado Springs - Denver.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 20, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let’s go with Boise being the second stop, thus DEN - SLC - BOI - PDX. And I’ll guess the Continental portion of the flight originated in Tulsa with an intermediate stop in Wichita and then on to Denver which was the CO/UA interchange point.
1- BOI is CORRECT
BONUS- CORRECT on both

I’ll guess Central Airlines operating a Convair 240 Amarillo - Pueblo - Colorado Springs - Denver.
Central is CORRECT
PUB is CORRECT
COS is CORRECT
C2 is INCORRECT (which of course doesn't leave many options, given that the flight actually wasn't on a Convair)
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- BOI is CORRECT
BONUS- CORRECT on both

Central is CORRECT
PUB is CORRECT
COS is CORRECT
C2 is INCORRECT (which of course doesn't leave many options, given that the flight actually wasn't on a Convair)
Not a Convair 600 (C6) then.....

Well, perhaps Central operated this flight with a venerable DC-3 (D3).
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA
off the top of my head I have to believe this was the 757, ~1985; the A320 was a couple years after that
I think that's correct too. 34 years was a long time to have been put off twin engined aircraft, especially for a carrier that had a lot of small-scale places along their traditional network.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think that's correct too. 34 years was a long time to have been put off twin engined aircraft, especially for a carrier that had a lot of small-scale places along their traditional network.
So all of NW's DC-9s were from Republic?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Closing there out:

1. flag carrier for 2 different countries (was a question earlier this year) (name of the countries will be obvious)

Malaysia Singapore Airlines

Flag carrier for one political country and it still the flag carrier of an expanded (or reunified) country. Name the flag carrier of the other now-subsumed country.
This question has two sets of answers. The one already answered is Lufthansa of the BRD (FRG) and Inter-Flug of the DDR (GDR).

VietNam Airlines (Democratic Republic of/North VietNam) and Air VietNam (Republic of/South VietNam).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Oct 22, 2020 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a Convair 600 (C6) then.....

Well, perhaps Central operated this flight with a venerable DC-3 (D3).
1- indeed, DC3 is CORRECT

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
So all of NW's DC-9s were from Republic?
I believe so

of course, Republic was the amalgamation of North Central (Series 10/30/50), Southern (Series 10), and AirWest / Hughes Air West (Series 10, originally from Bonanza and West Coast, and Series 30); I think RC acquired MD-80s on their own

NW also had a handful of Series 40 jets whose pedigree escapes me

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 20, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.