Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

34. It's 1989. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. Continental operating a B737-___ . The first stop was LAX and the second stop was in Central America.
Time to close this one out. Here's the interesting routing....

CO 824: San Francisco (SFO) 8:30p - 9:50p Los Angeles (LAX) 10:55p - 5:55a+1 San Salvador (SAL) 6:45a - 7:15a Guatemala City (GUA) 8:50a - 11:40a Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Snack LAX-SAL, Breakfast GUA-IAH
Equip: B737-300

CO 133 flew a reverse routing of the above sched as far as Los Angeles with this flight departing IAH at 2:55 pm and arriving into LAX at 11:00 pm.

And I think Continental moved its corporate headquarters from Los Angeles to Houston around 1981-82 following its acquisition by Texas Air Corp. and Frank Lorenzo.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

BONUS QUESTION: Antilles Air Boats also operated a scheduled passenger fixed wing operation at one point in the Caribbean on behalf of another airline. What was the name of this airline service and what type of aircraft was operated? Hint: the service was operated on behalf of a major air carrier
The air carrier was American Inter-Island, a subsidiary of American Airlines that was created to serve St. Thomas (STT) from St. Croix (STX) following AA's decision to cease mainline jet service into St. Thomas after the terrible crash of a B727-23 that was attempting to land on the short 4,658 foot runway in 1976. The 727 was destroyed and 37 people were killed in the accident. According to a section in the www.antillesairboats.com website, American owned the four Convair 440 aircraft that comprised the small American Inter-Island fleet with Antilles Air Boats flying and maintaining the Convairs....

https://www.antillesairboats.com/american-inter-island

American Inter-Island was shut down after a new 7,000 foot runway was completed at St. Thomas with American then resuming mainline jet service into STT with aircraft as large as the Airbus A300-600R.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 16, 2020 at 7:41 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BA
The air carrier was American Inter-Island, a subsidiary of American Airlines that was created to serve St. Thomas (STT) from St. Croix (STX) following AA's decision to cease mainline jet service into St. Thomas after the terrible crash of a B727-23 that was attempting to land on the short 4,658 foot runway in 1976.
We had this one come up some years ago, and although I can find the post again Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. the link to the old Flight magazine 1976 article about it doesn't work any longer. Believe it or not I can actually remember reading the original article in Flight in the university library, when I should have been doing something a lot more academic . I was pretty sure that this one was actually (and surprisingly) run by American themselves, on their AOC, though they may have subcontracted certain on-the-spot support work to Antilles. I believe the four Cv440s were actually fully American, and it was the last ever "big prop" operation by a US mainstream carrier. Certainly the overall manager of the operation was a long-established and respected American senior executive, with some credentials leading back to some exciting derring-do in WW2, who seems to have taken the position as a fun job leading into retirement.

Always seemed strange that they went for piston Cv440s rather than anything turboprop by that time, but I guess the sectors were very short (can you see St Thomas from St Croix ?), the aircraft were residual value (they probably didn't bother with hull insurance), and they were close to the Curacao refinery, one of the very few left around the world even then still producing Avgas.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Always seemed strange that they went for piston Cv440s rather than anything turboprop by that time, but I guess the sectors were very short (can you see St Thomas from St Croix ?), the aircraft were residual value (they probably didn't bother with hull insurance), and they were close to the Curacao refinery, one of the very few left around the world even then still producing Avgas.
On a good day you can get a pretty good view from the higher points and even just above beach level, although the BVI are a bit more obvious. We had been visiting for a few years before we noticed the islands, though some years it isn't clear enough for a while.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had this one come up some years ago, and although I can find the post again Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. the link to the old Flight magazine 1976 article about it doesn't work any longer. Believe it or not I can actually remember reading the original article in Flight in the university library, when I should have been doing something a lot more academic . I was pretty sure that this one was actually (and surprisingly) run by American themselves, on their AOC, though they may have subcontracted certain on-the-spot support work to Antilles. I believe the four Cv440s were actually fully American, and it was the last ever "big prop" operation by a US mainstream carrier. Certainly the overall manager of the operation was a long-established and respected American senior executive, with some credentials leading back to some exciting derring-do in WW2, who seems to have taken the position as a fun job leading into retirement.

I wasn't aware of the business relationship between American and Antilles Air Boats until I recently discovered the www.antillesairboats.com website. According to the American Inter-Island section, it appears that Antilles Air Boats provided the flight crews as well as the routine maintenance for the Convair 440 operation (which appears to have been conducted in St. Croix). However, I'm not sure about the exact relationship....but I would be surprised if American was actually providing the flight crews. I do have an old friend who recently retired as a 787 Captain with American who once upon a time was an AA 727 Captain based in Miami and flew their Caribbean services. I'll ask him about this.

Meantime, the OAG lists the distance between St. Thomas and St. Croix as 44 miles. Looking at 1994 jet schedules with departure and arrival times from STT to STX per the OAG, a Continental B727-200 made the flight in 28 minutes, a Private Jet Expeditions (5J, which was operating as National Airlines at the time) MD-80 took 30 minutes to make the flight while a Delta B757-200 made the flight in 25 minutes. And I can personally attest that one can see St. Thomas from St. Croix under certain conditions....such as being on board an American B737-823 at FL 350 directly over STX en route from Miami to Barbados.

BTW, back in the early 1980's when American Inter-Island was still operation, American was operating both the DC-10 and the 707 from St. Croix nonstop to New York Kennedy. Here are the scheds from a 1981 OAG....

http://www.departedflights.com/JFK81p4.html

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 17, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
We had this one come up some years ago, and although I can find the post again Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. the link to the old Flight magazine 1976 article about it doesn't work any longer. ...
archive website is apparently being re-architected
https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-...gazine-archive
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
On a good day you can get a pretty good view from the higher points and even just above beach level, although the BVI are a bit more obvious. We had been visiting for a few years before we noticed the islands, though some years it isn't clear enough for a while.
My very first trip to the Caribbean was to the U.S. Virgin Islands back in 1985. A buddy of mine was flying Twin Otters for Eastern Express and was based in St. Croix. He provided me with passes so we hopped around the islands on board the Twin Otter over to St. Thomas, Tortola and Virgin Gorda. I stayed at his place on St. Croix for about a month and it was a truly memorable experience. I've been going back to the British Virgin Islands ever since including on a number of sailing trips. And hopefully, if things are more or less back to normal by then, Lady K and yours truly are planning to observe our birthdays (we have the same birthday) on Virgin Gorda this coming April with friends. I've already got a nice little rental house located near the beach reserved and was able to use our Delta miles for round trip tickets in first class LFT - ATL - SJU. So here's hoping for better days and our return to beautiful Virgin Gorda!
MADPhil likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, Seat 2A is still experiencing internet difficulties up there in the wilds of Alaska.

So if anyone would like to submit a quiz item or two or as many as you would care to, please go ahead!

Otherwise, we may have to take an OTAQ&D intermission......
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Howdy gang - as jlemon has informed you, I'm up against some recent internet problems here in The Last Frontierand repair would seem to be slow in coming. I've got about 30 questions leftover from my last batch but I feel that in the interest of providing timely feedback to your responses, it might be bast that I hang back until the situation improves. That said, should any of you care to pick up the slack, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd welcome a new spin on presenting questions.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
New mini-quiz

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Howdy gang - as jlemon has informed you, I'm up against some recent internet problems here in The Last Frontierand repair would seem to be slow in coming. I've got about 30 questions leftover from my last batch but I feel that in the interest of providing timely feedback to your responses, it might be bast that I hang back until the situation improves. That said, should any of you care to pick up the slack, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd welcome a new spin on presenting questions.
Sure!
Mini-quiz of 23 July

1. It's 1985. You're in the northern French city of Lille. Car isn't running. It's a ________ (brand of car deleted, ha ha). With no car, it's not feasible to haul all your luggage to Brussels by train or by an expensive 60 mile taxi ride. Luckily, there's LIL, Lille Lesquin airport, that has flights to far flung places as Nice and Algeria. But you only have to go to Milan. What's the only one stop to Linate Airport (the close-to-the-city airport, not Malpensa, the airport with the long runway)? Where's the stop? Airline? Aircraft?

Partially answered. Not ORY or LYS. Air France operated by another carrier. Fokker 28.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jul 24, 2020 at 9:52 pm Reason: updated answers
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Sure!
Mini-quiz of 23 July

1. It's 1985. You're in the northern French city of Lille. Car isn't running. It's a ________ (brand of car deleted, ha ha). With no car, it's not feasible to haul all your luggage to Brussels by train or by an expensive 60 mile taxi ride. Luckily, there's LIL, Lille Lesquin airport, that has flights to far flung places as Nice and Algeria. But you only have to go to Milan. What's the only one stop to Linate Airport (the close-to-the-city airport, not Malpensa, the airport with the long runway)? Where's the stop? Airline? Aircraft?
Could it be Air Inter,
Fokker F27 with a stop at Paris Orly.

Last edited by KT550; Jul 24, 2020 at 1:53 am Reason: first guess was too wild
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
I like Air Inter ... ORY-LIN would be a long haul on a twin turboprop; I'd be more inclined to say the aircraft was a Mercure

and the car was probably some variant of a Renault
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:37 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jrl767
I like Air Inter ... ORY-LIN would be a long haul on a twin turboprop; I'd be more inclined to say the aircraft was a Mercure

TAT with F28? This was before BA bought them, so they were still serving all sorts of these funny routes. But I do not recall TAT ever serving LIN. So maybe just AF via LYS? At one stage there were trying to build LYS as a secondary hub. If AF it would also be F28, I guess.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Could the car have been a FIAT? (Fix It Again, Tony!)
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

You're right; 400 miles is a decent trip in an F27.
The more I think, the more I think it'll be the wrong answer.
Not sure Air Inter did regular international flights.
They did a few summer seasons for Air France in the late 80s with Mercures to LON

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.