Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Finally - a halfway decent internet connection! Unfortunately, there is at present no definitive answer or solution as to what is plaguing our community internet system so my ability to get online and thus participate (without driving into town) does not look good for the immediate future. That said, I will do my best and twelve days from now I'll be heading out on a railroad excursion around West Virginia that should see me with improved connectivity.

You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. The airline was Pan Am and the connection was made at JFK. The equipment on the first flight wasn't a 747. The equipment on the second flight was a B727-200. The stop made by the second flight wasn't DTW or ORD. And a couple of hints can be found in post # 20384.

Apparently the cognoscenti here are either unaware of or don't remember Garrison Keillor's tales of life in the fictitious town of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota as told on PBS on Saturday afternoons. In any event, let's go with Pan Am operating a GE CF-6 powered A300 on the Nassau to JFK portion and a 727-200 on the New York (JFK) to Salt Lake portion with an intermediate stop in Minneapolis. Pan Am had some interesting and historically very non-Pan Am like routings in the late 1980s. My only flight aboard an L-1011-500 came between JFK and DTW with Pan Am and some of these routings have provided me with a number of quiz questions over the years so hopefully my memory serves me well and I'm correct on this one. In 1982 I logged a flight in First Class aboard a Western 727-200 between MSP and SLC on a flight that originated in DCA. We were served a full dinner service with Western's colorful crockery.

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Uh... I dunno... let's start the guessing with Canadian Airlines via... Ottawa with a 737-200
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Apparently the cognoscenti here are either unaware of or don't remember Garrison Keillor's tales of life in the fictitious town of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota as told on PBS on Saturday afternoons.
You do mean on NPR (brought to you by the Minnesota affiliate MPR?) (Been to more live APHC shows than the average american/bear - 3).

I read your clue and did think of Saint Paul/Minneapolis but thought it was somehow a trick hint and the flight, for most unlikely and improbable reasons, would have stopped somewhere else in MN.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Sep 18, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Finally - a halfway decent internet connection! Unfortunately, there is at present no definitive answer or solution as to what is plaguing our community internet system so my ability to get online and thus participate (without driving into town) does not look good for the immediate future. That said, I will do my best and twelve days from now I'll be heading out on a railroad excursion around West Virginia that should see me with improved connectivity.

You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. The airline was Pan Am and the connection was made at JFK. The equipment on the first flight wasn't a 747. The equipment on the second flight was a B727-200. The stop made by the second flight wasn't DTW or ORD. And a couple of hints can be found in post # 20384.

Apparently the cognoscenti here are either unaware of or don't remember Garrison Keillor's tales of life in the fictitious town of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota as told on PBS on Saturday afternoons. In any event, let's go with Pan Am operating a GE CF-6 powered A300 on the Nassau to JFK portion and a 727-200 on the New York (JFK) to Salt Lake portion with an intermediate stop in Minneapolis. Pan Am had some interesting and historically very non-Pan Am like routings in the late 1980s. My only flight aboard an L-1011-500 came between JFK and DTW with Pan Am and some of these routings have provided me with a number of quiz questions over the years so hopefully my memory serves me well and I'm correct on this one. In 1982 I logged a flight in First Class aboard a Western 727-200 between MSP and SLC on a flight that originated in DCA. We were served a full dinner service with Western's colorful crockery.

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Uh... I dunno... let's start the guessing with Canadian Airlines via... Ottawa with a 737-200
22. You are very close concerning the equipment operated on the first flight.....and the stop made by the second flight was indeed MSP. We await the tap in.

24. Well, nope, nope and nope! Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 18, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. You are very close concerning the equipment operated on the first flight.....and the stop made by the second flight was indeed MSP. We await the tap in.
A310?

Air Nova with a standard DH8 stopping at YUL?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You do mean on NPR (brought to you by the Minnesota affiliate MPR?) (Been to more live APHC shows than the average american/bear - 3).
I stand corrected, YVR, Of course I meant NPR but with my radio reception being rather sketchy out here I tend to watch more of PBS these days. Thanks for the correction!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Very close, eh... well alrighty then, we'll go with the A310 (Ah, I see I'll second YVR with that)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 18, 2020 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24- I'll also offer Air Nova (thanks YVR Cockroach!), but with a BAe 146 stopping at St John (YSJ)
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29. In 2002 this air carrier was operating a four engine jet on international services which was configured with three different classes of service, being first, business and economy. First class was configured with two seats on each side of the cabin (2-2 seating layout) while business class was configured with three seats on each side of the cabin (3-3 seating layout). Identify this jet and the airline that operated it.
I'll take a swing at this though fully expect to strike out given the date and BC-seat configuration. I do remember TG (and some other airlines) operating 747s where there was a long galley that ran down between the two aisles from door 1 to door 2. So Thai with a 747-200?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: BA
I do remember TG (and some other airlines) operating 747s where there was a long galley that ran down between the two aisles from door 1 to door 2.
American had this on their long-haul 767s in the 1990s as well. It always seemed strange. The C galley was all down the centre section between the Y window seats, it led to a continuing back-and-forth of the C food and drink right in front of the Y passengers.
Apparently the cognoscenti here are either unaware of or don't remember Garrison Keillor's tales of life in the fictitious town of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota as told on PBS on Saturday afternoons.
Now even I, from all the way over here, am well aware of this longstanding programme, which somehow seemed to walk a line between humour, straightforward entertainment, and parody of rural America that possibly went over some heads. The 2006 movie about the ending of the show was in recent times shown here on BBC television; for those who never knew the show I wonder what they made of it.

Always struck me as a parody of Lawrence Welk as well. Now the REAL parody of Welk's show was done by Stan Freberg, in what must be the best joke version of a broadcast show - ever. It's still funny 60 years later, and I've known people here in Britain laugh out loud through it who were never even aware of the Welk show. I believe that after Freberg did it, just on his radio show, there was such a reaction that they headed straight to the studio and did a record version of it, which actually got into the Billboard Top 30.

Neither Welk nor PHC were ever shown in the UK. A lot of the latter actually seemed to be taken in style from Stephen Leacock's "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshi..._a_Little_Town . Anyone else notice the similarity ?
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 19, 2020 at 4:42 am
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre

24. Well, nope, nope and nope! Please guess again, sir!
The amazing things I learn here, even those that I should have known. I grew up in the shadow of MSP in the 80's and don't ever remember seeing a Pan-Am plane there. It was always one of those airlines I only associated with ORD when we would drive by or fly through there.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
22. A310?

24. Air Nova with a standard DH8 stopping at YUL?
22. Yep! Here are the scheds.....

PA 208: Nassau (NAS) 12:10p - 2:59p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Saturdays & Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: A310

Connecting to.......

PA 2101: New York Kennedy (JFK) 5:10p - 7:30p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 8:00p - 9:48p Salt Lake City (SLC)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner JFK-MSP
Equip: B727-200

24. Ah, although this flight did stop at Montreal Dorval, it wasn't Air Nova nor was the equipment a DHC-8 Dash 8 of any type. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
24- I'll also offer Air Nova (thanks YVR Cockroach!), but with a BAe 146 stopping at St John (YSJ)
24. Nope, it wasn't a BAe 146 of any type and the stop wasn't made at St. John.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll take a swing at this though fully expect to strike out given the date and BC-seat configuration. I do remember TG (and some other airlines) operating 747s where there was a long galley that ran down between the two aisles from door 1 to door 2. So Thai with a 747-200?
29. Nope, it wasn't Thai and the aircraft in question was smaller than a 747. In fact, the equipment we are looking for wasn't a wide body aircraft.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29. Nope, it wasn't Thai and the aircraft in question was smaller than a 747. In fact, the equipment we are looking for wasn't a wide body aircraft.
I don't know who was still operating 707s and DC-8s in 2002 land had BC in 3-3 (standard Y width), so have to surmise the equipment might have been Russian so let's go with a Il-62 operated by the obvious, Аэрофлот.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know who was still operating 707s and DC-8s in 2002 land had BC in 3-3 (standard Y width), so have to surmise the equipment might have been Russian so let's go with a Il-62 operated by the obvious, Аэрофлот.
29. Correct! Here's the Aeroflot Il-62M seating chart.....

http://www.departedflights.com/SUIL60302.html
Seat 2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.