Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
43- LAX-XXX-YYY-LGA ... let's go back to the short-second-segment approach: a Midwest Express MD-80, operating via Omaha/OMA and Milwaukee/MKE

45- LAX-XXX-LGA ... a Delta 757 via Orlando isn't unrealistic, but the meal services being lunch and dinner more likely point to a stop in the middle of the country ... given the recent discussion of Legend and American, I'm inclined to suspect that this was a 56-seat AA Fokker 100 with the stop at Love Field (DAL)
43. Yep, it was Midwest Express....but not with an MD-80. Here's the sched....

YX 5: Los Angeles (LAX) 8:25a - 1:20p Omaha (OMA) 1:50p - 3:05p Milwaukee (MKE) 3:50p 7:00p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Freq: LAX-MKE daily except Sat. & Sun., MKE-LGA daily
Service class: Y (single class 2-2 seating config with 34" pitch)
Meal services: Breakfast LAX-OMA, Snack OMA-MKE, Lunch MKE-LGA
Equip: DC9-30

Here's the Midwest Express seating chart for the DC9-30.....

YXD9S0889

45. And yep, it was American operating the 56 seat "special markets" configured Fokker 100....and AA was operating two flights a day on this routing. Here are the scheds....

AA 2520: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:10a - 12:20p Dallas Love Field (DAL) 1:30p - 5:59p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Freq: Daily except Sundays LAX-DAL, daily DAL-LGA
Service class: American called this service Executive Class and promoted it as being a first class seat at a coach price
Meal service: Breakfast LAX-DAL, Lunch DAL-LGA
Equip: Fokker 100

AA 2564: Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25p - 6:36p Dallas Love Field 7:07p - 11:29p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Freq: Daily LAX-DAL, daily except Saturdays DAL-LGA
Service class: See above
Meal service: Lunch LAX-DAL, Dinner DAL-LGA
Equip: Fokker 100

American began flying the 56 seat Fokker 100 from DAL to Los Angeles and Chicago O'Hare before adding service to LaGuardia. Here's the AA print ad announcing the new Love Field service....

http://www.departedflights.com/AAlovefield00.html

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 10, 2020 at 3:03 pm Reason: added AA print ad link
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA
23. Braniff International had an agreement in place in 1979 concerning service from Aberdeen, Scotland operated by a UK-based air carrier with connections available in London to BN operated flights. Braniff was also offering free ground transportation between London Gatwick and London Heathrow in order to facilitate these connections. Identify the UK airline that was operating the flights from Aberdeen
This is an interesting one. Braniff was at Gatwick, so the Aberdeen flight would be coming in to Heathrow. And the only operator on ABZ-LHR was British Airways. I can't quite see them doing the connection, especially as there were Aberdeen to Gatwick flights as well. More on those in a moment.

But Braniff wasn't QUITE all at Gatwick in 1979. This is when they were running the Concorde interchange with BA. Heathrow-Washington-Dallas. So it's possible that they could be doing Aberdeen to Gatwick, transfer to Heathrow, onto Concorde. Bit strange when there were flights straight to Heathrow every couple of hours, but there you go. So which airline ?

Now BA was the longstanding monopoly on Aberdeen to Heathrow, which at the oil boom time then was a substantial frequent Trident 3 operation every couple of hours. They also did Aberdeen to Gatwick a few times a day with One-Elevens, where they had developed a reputation for unreliability. In Spring 1979 the government actually cancelled their licence for this Gatwick route and gave it to Dan-Air instead, One-Elevens as well, effective the start of the winter 1979 timetable. You can guess who was cheered, and who wasn't. So the operator depends on when in 1979.

As a spite, BA didn't give up their Gatwick One-Eleven flights but moved them to operating into Heathrow instead, giving an even more frequent service. Dan-Air did very well on that route, and although generally scheduled for One-Elevens there could be a 727, or even in the first year a Comet might substitute, last scheduled service Comet ever, though unadvertised as such.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
22. The sailing trip in the late winter of 1976 to Virgin Gorda was absolutely splendid and you're back in St. Thomas.....but now it's time to get back to work. And that means a flight to Boston. Fortunately, there's a daily direct flight from STT to BOS which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

I figure it was 50-50 on EA or AA, so glad I got that one right! If however the flight didn't stop at JFK... that's a little trickier. I don't recall AA serving its Caribbean destinations from secondary gateway cities such as BDL or DTW as Eastern did. Indeed, now that I think of it, this Virgin Island route probably was acquired via the merger with Trans Caribbean. Being pre-deregulation, let's go with that other TC gateway city - Washington Dulles (IAD)

26. You're in Paris in 1980 and need to travel to Boston on a Thursday. You've found a flight which makes one stop that fits your schedule. Name the airport you will depart from in Paris, the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Of all the places I have been fortunate to have traveled to, Europe is way down the list. Because of that I had to pull out my atlas in order to get a better picture of Europe. Geographically Brussels or Amsterdam look the best - maybe Frankfurt after that. I don't feel as good about Brussels as I do Amsterdam, so let's go with AMS
Excellent tap in on both! Here are the scheds....

22. AA 620: St. Thomas (STT) 3:50p - 4:15p St. Croix (STX) 5:05p - 8:05p Washington Dulles (IAD) 8:05p - 9:29p Boston (BOS)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner STX-IAD
Equip: B727-100

A few months later in 1976 an American B727-23 was involved in a terrible crash while attempting to land at St. Thomas. AA 625 went off the end of the short 4,658 foot runway and into a Shell gas station. There were 88 souls on board and 37 people were killed. American subsequently ceased jet operations into St. Thomas (while Eastern continued to serve the airport with B727-100 flights) and then resumed jet service after a new 7,000 foot runway was constructed.

26. BN 603: Paris Orly (ORY) 12:00n - 1:00p Amsterdam (AMS) 2:00p - 4:00p Boston (BN)
Freq: Thursdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: 747
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
This is an interesting one. Braniff was at Gatwick, so the Aberdeen flight would be coming in to Heathrow. And the only operator on ABZ-LHR was British Airways. I can't quite see them doing the connection, especially as there were Aberdeen to Gatwick flights as well. More on those in a moment.

But Braniff wasn't QUITE all at Gatwick in 1979. This is when they were running the Concorde interchange with BA. Heathrow-Washington-Dallas. So it's possible that they could be doing Aberdeen to Gatwick, transfer to Heathrow, onto Concorde. Bit strange when there were flights straight to Heathrow every couple of hours, but there you go. So which airline ?

Now BA was the longstanding monopoly on Aberdeen to Heathrow, which at the oil boom time then was a substantial frequent Trident 3 operation every couple of hours. They also did Aberdeen to Gatwick a few times a day with One-Elevens, where they had developed a reputation for unreliability. In Spring 1979 the government actually cancelled their licence for this Gatwick route and gave it to Dan-Air instead, One-Elevens as well, effective the start of the winter 1979 timetable. You can guess who was cheered, and who wasn't. So the operator depends on when in 1979.

As a spite, BA didn't give up their Gatwick One-Eleven flights but moved them to operating into Heathrow instead, giving an even more frequent service. Dan-Air did very well on that route, and although generally scheduled for One-Elevens there could be a 727, or even in the first year a Comet might substitute, last scheduled service Comet ever, though unadvertised as such.
23. Dan-Air is correct! Here's the relevant page from the Oct. 28, 1979 Braniff International system timetable concerning the Aberdeen service.....

BN102879p3
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

As always, please limit your response to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. And we are looking for decisive and complete answers here. This includes being as specific as possible concerning the aircraft model. Thanks!

27. It's 1985 and you are in Montreal. You've been invited to conduct a business presentation in San Diego and have found a daily direct flight from YUL to SAN which makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
It wasn't Delta, Republic, Eastern, USAir or Air Canada and stops were not made at LGA, DFW, DTW, PHX, BOS, MCI, PHL, PIT, YOW or YYZ. Aircraft was a B727-200.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1987.....

30. You are in Cedar Rapids and need to travel to Midland/Odessa. You've found a direct flight operated with a jet that operates daily and makes three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline. It wasn't PSA, AirCal or American

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1989.....

33. You need to travel from New York City to Seattle. You would also prefer to depart from LaGuardia Airport. Thankfully, you're in no rush and have found an interesting flight which operates daily from LGA and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

34. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Pan Am operating an A300 nor was the aircraft in question a wide body. The first stop was LAX. The second stop wasn't MEX.

35. The phone rings and guess who is on the line....."Buddy, it's time for my annual party at the house! Come on out!" This means you need to fly to Santa Barbara and your present location is Atlanta. You think a connection will need to be made but are then surprised to find a direct flight from ATL to SBA which makes two stops en route. Of course, you book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

38. In 1992, this airline featured a business class section on a number of its Boeing 737-200 aircraft with a total of 30 business class seats in 2-2 configuration with ample legroom. Other B737-200 aircraft in its fleet were configured with all-economy cabins with 105 or 120 seats at this time. Name the air carrier.

42. If you wanted to fly into Denver on board a Fokker 100 at this time in 1996, you could do so but this flight only operated three days a week. What airline would be flying with and where would you depart from nonstop to DEN? ANSWERED
And we are on the home stretch here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2020 at 3:19 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
42. If you wanted to fly into Denver on board a Fokker 100 at this time in 1996, you could do so but this flight only operated three days a week. What airline would be flying with and where would you depart from nonstop to DEN? Mexicana de Aviacion with nonstop service from _________. It wasn't MTY.
42- let’s try Mazatlan (MZT), with the other four days being from Puerto Vallarta (PVR)

31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.It wasn't United or Jet America, the stop was not made at ONT or DEN and the equipment wasn't a B767-200 or MD-80.
31- we’re talking 1987 ... I know both American and Continental were at LGB, but I suspect both are off the list —
AA was a huge MD-80 operator, and CO would have served DEN ... I’ve taken America West to Phoenix/PHX from LGB, so how about one of their 737-300s onward to ORD
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

42- let’s try Mazatlan (MZT), with the other four days being from Puerto Vallarta (PVR)

31- we’re talking 1987 ... I know both American and Continental were at LGB, but I suspect both are off the list — AA was a huge MD-80 operator, and CO would have served DEN ... I’ve taken America West to Phoenix/PHX from LGB, so how about one of their 737-300s onward to ORD
31. Nope, it wasn't America West.....but the aircraft in question was a B737-300.

42. Nope and nope as Mexicana was only operating one nonstop route with the Fokker 100 to Denver at this time....but you're on the right track.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
31- depending on when in 1987 it could have been either Western or Delta, but in either case the flight would have operated via Salt Lake City (SLC)

42- how about Guadalajara (GDL)
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BONUS QUESTION: Antilles Air Boats also operated a scheduled passenger fixed wing operation at one point in the Caribbean on behalf of another airline. What was the name of this airline service and what type of aircraft was operated?
Plus we still have this bonus question unanswered as well......
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

31- depending on when in 1987 it could have been either Western or Delta, but in either case the flight would have operated via Salt Lake City(SLC)

42- how about Guadalajara (GDL)
31. Nope, nope and nope.....

42. And nope once again.....
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: BA
23. Dan-Air is correct! Here's the relevant page from the Oct. 28, 1979 Braniff International system timetable concerning the Aberdeen service.....

BN102879p3
Ah ! I hadn't looked this up at all, it was a guess. I see that the timetable is dated right at the start of the Dan-Air takeover of the Aberdeen service. Somebody has obviously thought that as they had an arrangement with Dan-Air for through connections to the daily 747 from Gatwick to Dallas, the same would do with a road connection for the Concorde connection later in the day. Hmmm, this was before the M25 ring motorway opened, so you had to stew through all the traffic of Epsom, Hampton Court and Feltham to get from Gatwick to Heathrow. Concorde stopped at Washington and went on subsonic to Dallas so it ends up taking longer using it than going on the 747. I wonder whyever they did not come to an arrangement for a BA direct connection at Heathrow instead.

Dan-Air had a substantial operation in Aberdeen by this time, not their well-known holiday flights to the Mediterranean (though I'm sure a few of those turned up) but with HS748 aircraft contracted to the various oil companies, I understand up to 10 based there, which did a wide range of operations. I think we discussed these a while ago.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
42. If you wanted to fly into Denver on board a Fokker 100 at this time in 1996, you could do so but this flight only operated three days a week. What airline would be flying with and where would you depart from nonstop to DEN? Mexicana de Aviacion with nonstop service from _________. It wasn't MTY, PVR, MZT or GDL.

First of all - thanks to jrl767 for picking in advance of this response all of the locales I would have also suggested. As such, let's try out a couple of Baja California locations starting with La Paz.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:09 pm

31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft. It wasn't United or Jet America, the stop was not made at ONT or DEN and the equipment wasn't a B767-200 or MD-80
Air Cal stopping in Orange County.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:20 pm

42. If you wanted to fly into Denver on board a Fokker 100 at this time, you could do so but this flight only operated three days a week. What airline would be flying with and where would you depart from nonstop to DEN? Mexicana de Aviacion with nonstop service from _________. It wasn't MTY.
Los Cabos.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
42. If you wanted to fly into Denver on board a Fokker 100 at this time in 1996, you could do so but this flight only operated three days a week. What airline would be flying with and where would you depart from nonstop to DEN? Mexicana de Aviacion with nonstop service from _________. It wasn't MTY, PVR, MZT or GDL.

First of all - thanks to jrl767 for picking in advance of this response all of the locales I would have also suggested. As such, let's try out a couple of Baja California locations starting with La Paz.
42. Nope! But you are very close!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.